• 96 inches (243.84 cm)

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • 102 inches (259.08 cm)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Re: Truck pack width

Historically the "number" has been 90" (and the dimensions a multiple thereof-22.5-30-45-60"). But in most of the rental trucks I have gotten in the last few years it is wider than that-usually around 96" or so.

6" allows a bit of movement in the truck-which can damage things.

So for the guys who "preach" truck pack-I ask-for what truck?

My company box truck is something like 88" which is a pain, but I've mastered packing it.

The 16' gas, and NPR trucks around here tend to be 90"

The 24' and 26' trucks are usually 96"

I've started building my cases to pack both ways; 24x22.5, 30x24, etc. that way you just rotate them to fit whatever truck.

My company box truck is something like 88" which is a pain, but I've mastered packing it.

I've started building my cases to pack both ways; 24x22.5, 30x24, etc. that way you just rotate them to fit whatever truck.

Exactly. We started making all our cases, even racks, etc 22.5 x 32.5 a LA TurboSound 721s. They had some smart cookies back then and really designed those things for transport.

Three wide in our 24'-26' boxes and semis, and four wide in our 18'-20' boxes. We also make most trunks the same height to create a dance floor if needed.

The extra few inches in the racks allow for better cabling options, as well as make for a happy pack.

Jason

Yep. And cargo vans (and Sprinters, and their ilk) tend to be narrower still, but have enough other obstacles that you're playing Tetris no matter the case size. 24x30 seems to be a popular size that fits both trucks.

Yep. And cargo vans (and Sprinters, and their ilk) tend to be narrower still, but have enough other obstacles that you're playing Tetris no matter the case size. 24x30 seems to be a popular size that fits both trucks.

I rented a Nissan NV2500 high roof for a long haul trip with a small PA last summer. Conveniently it was just wide enough to accommodate a 3 wide row of 22.5" boxes.

Was 90 now 96. I thought 102 were refer boxes so they would still be 96 inside with an extra 3 inches a side for insulation.
At least the thousands of trailers the company I work for are all that way. But we are only shipping chocolate.

96". Worked in all the rental fleet trucks around here; both straight and trailer. Until Ryder got a new fleet, with extra-thick side runners added to the bottom 1' or so. Suddenly, it's a very tight pack, but it still fits...though my steel toes are taking a bit more abuse than normal ;)
The only real problem is when the only D-Z available is a reefer; doesn't fit so well in that one.

How wide is your truck pack?
Phil,

I have been building cabinets to 90" truck integers since 1979, (almost) all the rental trucks back then were at least 90" clear between ribs. I recently sold my van and trailer, so for the last show I had to rent a truck for the first time in 20 years, the 16' Budget truck was a 90"+ (91" between side boards actual) width, same as ever. The Santa Fe local trucks and other interstate Budget rentals on the lot were all the same width.

Are the usual "Rock Box" (Electronics Van) trailers as rented for most big USA tours from companies like Upstaging now 102" interior width?

Art

Phil,

I have been building cabinets to 90" truck integers since 1979, (almost) all the rental trucks back then were at least 90" clear between ribs. I recently sold my van and trailer, so for the last show I had to rent a truck for the first time in 20 years, the 16' Budget truck was a 90"+ (91" between side boards actual) width, same as ever. The Santa Fe local trucks and other interstate Budget rentals on the lot were all the same width.

Are the usual "Rock Box" (Electronics Van) trailers as rented for most big USA tours from companies like Upstaging now 102" interior width?

Art

Hi Art-

I've been loading trucks (great work call for a guy that needs his mid-day and early evening free). I don't think we see any 102" interior width trailers, most seem to be a couple inches wider that the plywood that goes on top of the amp racks or cable caddies; I'm guessing these are 102" *exterior*. Maybe someone from Showcall or Upstaging lurks here...

Another regional provider near us had done all their case design based on 90" interiors and then got their first modern trailer; they added some 2x4s down the side to tighten up the pack.

After having problems with Ryder's idea of what internal dimensions were (they kept quoting exterior) I went to their commercial lot with a tape measure and made a list of straight truck numbers that we couldn't use because the 90" didn't include the thickness of the "forklift package" or dasher boards. That was several years ago and Ryder has a new rental manager who really knows her trucks, literally inside and out. I don't have to go to their lot to measure now. :)

Last edited:

Most semi trailers are 98-100" inside dimensions - 102" is the outside width

Almost all Penske and ryder 24-26ft trucks are 96" inside width or just over these days

Our 16ft and other rental 16ft trucks are 91-92" inside width.

We have standardized on 24"x30" as our main case size or double that - 48" x 30"
However we do have some 22.5" x 30", 22.5"x45, 24" x 45",

Probably one of the single best investments we have made is matching case sizes
It makes it much easier to get trucks packed quickly and efficiently.

db

FWIW - Tucks in Europe are limited to a maximum outside dimension of 2.5m to 2.6m, most typically 2.55m. In Australia its 2.5m

Typically I use 90" for the nominal inside dimension ... some small trucks are a bit less in Oz.

(102" = 2.591m)

I think some of the confusion comes with the way the boxes are specified. Any box that I have seen gives the outside dimensions. So a 96" box gives about 90" to about 92.5" inches on the inside. If anyone has a truck with a Morgan, here is how you read model number on the box (usually located on the driver side of box toward the front. Here's a picture of mine and it has about 92" usable width. I circled the numbers that specify the width, height, and length.

boxSize.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm wondering where you measure your road cases for these dimensions. At the ball corners? At the aluminum corner extrusions? And do you undersize your boxes by 1/4", or do you go with exact dimensions? Thanks in advance!
Grant

In my experience, they don't factor in ball corners. Last big truck load, we had 2x4s stacked four wide in an tractor trailer, logically you would think their would be a few inches of wiggle room, but with the ball corners they actually fit quite nicely.

If you're building new cases you just have to measure the truck boxes you're likely to be using - including any kick boards. Plenty of 96" wide trucks in the US have 1" wide by 15" high kick boards around the bottom of the box perimeter. The smallest dimension that will meet a case corner is what counts. Also keep in mind where the E tracks are for the load bars. If your standard case height is 30" including castors and most of the rental trucks you get have the E track at 36" off the floor you're going to have to waste a lot of time coming up with workable packs day in and day out.

I solved the problem by building a trailer to fit my equipment. My subs and low cabinets are 24" wide so I built the trailer so I can put 3 side by side. I get 4 double 18's 2 double 15"s ,4 mid high boxes, 2 amp racks, effect rack,cord box,Midas Pro1 and snake reel, EZ up,mic stands,lighting stands,light bars,distro ,light controller,mic box and spare tire in a 7 x12 ft trailer with room to spare.