Turbosound IQ/IX series

Re: Turbosound IQ/IX series

Just wondering if any members have anymore experience of the subwoofers yet? I'm looking at a pair of IQ18Bs which are great value on paper, but thin on real world reviews right now. I've seen a few brief site reviews on sweetwater but nothing too detailed. Current portable subs are a pair of Yorkville NX720s, so any side by side comparisons of them would be great, or someone with experience of both at least.

I bought a pair of iq18b subs and 4) iq10 speakers

i ended up selling the subs ,mout kept the tops because they are very convenient little boxes , and cost almost nothing.

My complaint with the subs, they did not go very low at all for an 18, and did not have much headroom. Not a terrible sounding speaker , def nice , but not great ...

Reactions: Irfan

what were you comparing them to, or coming from?

My other two possibilities at the moment are a pair of Yamaha DSR118Ws at a little more, or a single Yorkvill LS801p which i hear nothing but monstrous things about... moving one big unit around appeals slightly more than 2 smaller units as well :)

what were you comparing them to, or coming from?

My other two possibilities at the moment are a pair of Yamaha DSR118Ws at a little more, or a single Yorkvill LS801p which i hear nothing but monstrous things about... moving one big unit around appeals slightly more than 2 smaller units as well :)

ive used a bunch of different things , mainly was looking to have comparable output to an eaw fr250z or a qsc hpr181 but didn't work out that way....

ive used a bunch of different things , mainly was looking to have comparable output to an eaw fr250z or a qsc hpr181 but didn't work out that way....

we've got a bunch of the QSCs KW181 in permanent locations - was hoping for at least as good as that, so never mind. Switched to the Yams. Got some of their DXR12 tops recently and hugely impressed by them, so a built in crossover match as well. Was really lookin gforward to the Ultranet thing though, we use a load of differnt data networked locations on the properties; that would have been hugely useful.

Im new here but, I first heard the IQ series at a 1500+ seat auditorium where the reps (centerstage) set a one 18p and one 15p (full range) on top.
The dispersion floored me as did the SPL for a room that big. Understandably, there are room harm dist that will aid but nonetheless...pretty impressive. That was 2.5 years ago. It took that long for me to get my meathooks on them myself. I recently bought 2 of the-18psubs & 2 of the-15psubs (to catch the warmer low tones) and then I added 4 of the-15p (full range) on top.

Using the X-32 and its Ultranet, which I'm still getting around, it seems to do everything that "twice" the other med/high market manufacturers such as Mackie JBL Yamaha etc equipment can do. Meaning, that if you double the cabinets from the other guys, you 'might' have a bit more headroom but, geez, for the money and less back break... the IQ's stand up really nice!

I am very happy.-- I plan to really air them out in an outdoor setting soon just to see how many people I can service. Having the versatility and quality in such a small pkg is well worth it to me. For what its worth.

Last edited:

Understandably, there are room harm dist that will aid but nonetheless...pretty impressive.

Hi Jon, I'm not familiar with "room harm dist", could you expand on that please?

I'm usually OK with all the usual abbreviations but that one has passed me by.

Also, could you expand a little on the sound of the two bass boxes, how doe the 18 sound less "warm" than the 15 please?

Thanks,
David.

Hi Jon, I'm not familiar with "room harm dist", could you expand on that please?

I'm usually OK with all the usual abbreviations but that one has passed me by.

Also, could you expand a little on the sound of the two bass boxes, how doe the 18 sound less "warm" than the 15 please?

Thanks,
David.

Hey David, just saw this and was steeped in Halloween production so, Sorry for the late reply.
Room Harm Dist stands for something coined here in Branson called Room Harmonic Distortion meaning that every room has certain characteristics that will add or subtract frequencies. If you've ever been in a tiled shower or room, and you speak or sing, and at a particular tone in your voice it seems to take little or no effort to emit...that is a basic explanation of that.
As for the differences in the 18 vs 15 boxes. I believe that the small cone will, by default, accentuate the upper bass freqs say, 120-300hz which the 'bass' in the bass guitar 'tone' comes from. And the 18's will project say 100hz-and below and be more of the "air pushers" that I may need. Plus, I just wanted to see if I could divide those lower freqs into separate cabs. I have always been successful in achieving a more controlled sound by diving up as much as possible. It makes for a much cleaner, more headroomy sound too. Make sense?

(snip)
As for the differences in the 18 vs 15 boxes. I believe that the small cone will, by default, accentuate the upper bass freqs say, 120-300hz which the 'bass' in the bass guitar 'tone' comes from. And the 18's will project say 100hz-and below and be more of the "air pushers" that I may need. Plus, I just wanted to see if I could divide those lower freqs into separate cabs. I have always been successful in achieving a more controlled sound by diving up as much as possible. It makes for a much cleaner, more headroomy sound too. Make sense?

You mention a few beliefs that don't quite make sense. Are they backed up with evidence?

I've learned the hard way not to necessarily trust spec sheets. The Turbosound specs give an upper -10dB figure of 130Hz for the iQ15b. Do you have an unusual amount of program material in the narrow 120-130Hz region?

Assuming the published specs are inaccurate, can you elaborate on how badly Turbosound got the upper -10dB frequency response figure wrong please?

Sent from my GT-I8160