What is this sub array likely doing?

Loren Jones

Sophomore
Jun 25, 2011
Hampton Roads VA
I'm curious about the sub array deployed at a concert I was at last night. I have read some of the sub array stuff like Bennett's article and a few other things. I think I understand some of the basic sub array types but I was just curious about this one. Not that I have deployed any directional sub arrays nor will I have the occasion to, but I just like to understand what is going on. So here is a rough drawing of what it looked like. The subs were MeyerSound (700HP's I believe) and the stacks in the picture were 2 subs tall (for a total of 6 cabs per array). A 10 box hang of the medium format vertec was directly above each of the sub arrays. Sort of wide fan shaped room with probably about 2500 capacity. So the audience is to the right in the picture (I should have rotated it 90 degrees to make it seem more clear).
IMG.jpg

Thanks,
Loren

Re: What is this sub array likely doing?

I'm curious about the sub array deployed at a concert I was at last night. I have read some of the sub array stuff like Bennett's article and a few other things. I think I understand some of the basic sub array types but I was just curious about this one. Not that I have deployed any directional sub arrays nor will I have the occasion to, but I just like to understand what is going on. So here is a rough drawing of what it looked like. The subs were MeyerSound (700HP's I believe) and the stacks in the picture were 2 subs tall (for a total of 6 cabs per array). A 10 box hang of the medium format vertec was directly above each of the sub arrays. Sort of wide fan shaped room with probably about 2500 capacity. So the audience is to the right in the picture (I should have rotated it 90 degrees to make it seem more clear).
View attachment 3075
Just because something is done-does not mean that it is done correctly. I am not sure what the "theory" would be behind that array. It could be trying to keep the energy off of the stage, but with 3 cabs per side there would be a better way.

Now there may be a real reason for what was done-that we are not aware of.

Sometimes things are not as apparent as they may seem on the surface.

And some times people take part of an idea-apply their own "twist" to it and call it "new" whether or not it actually does what they think it does

Last edited by a moderator:

Just because something is done-does not mean that it is done correctly. I am not sure what the "theory" would be behind that array. It could be trying to keep the energy off of the stage, but with 3 cabs per side there would be a better way.

Now there may be a real reason for what was done-that we are not aware of.

Sometimes things are not as apparent as they may seem on the surface.

And some times people take part of an idea-apply their own "twist" to it and call it "new" whether or not it actually does what they think it does

Ivan,

There were 6 cabs per side. They were placed as in the picture just stacked 2 hi. Just curious since it didn't immediately make sense to me but I have minimal knowledge (probably not even enough to make me dangerous).

Thanks,
Loren Jones

Thanks,

The LF coverage seemed even enough in the few places I stood during the show so it must have been doing something right for them.

Good day,
Loren

I'm curious what the result would be of powering and delaying each woofer in the dual cabinets separately, perhaps creating a 4 driver cardioid array using 2 cabinets placed sideways like that. 0r would that just totally screw up the response from each cabinet in every direction?

I'm curious what the result would be of powering and delaying each woofer in the dual cabinets separately, perhaps creating a 4 driver cardioid array using 2 cabinets placed sideways like that. 0r would that just totally screw up the response from each cabinet in every direction?

I would think it would definitely mess things up quite a bit if each driver doesn't have a separate chamber inside the cabinet.

Ivan,

There were 6 cabs per side. They were placed as in the picture just stacked 2 hi. Just curious since it didn't immediately make sense to me but I have minimal knowledge (probably not even enough to make me dangerous).

Thanks,
Loren Jones
Stacking them 2 high only increases the output-I bet that however they were driven-the same signal went to the top and bottom cabinets.

If the front cabinets were side by side-facing forward and the rear cabinet was facing forward-then it would make sense.

I wonder if the placement of the cabinets sidways had anything to do with the available space to put them? How close were they to walls/stage etc?

I have also seen a number of cases where people do "weird things" with cabinets, and try to describe how it is "better" (because they thought of it), yet it has no practical usage.

Just because it is different does not make it better. Have I said that before?????

And it may be "better" in one location-but worse in another. Especially with subs (because of the lack of directional character) you HAVE to conside what is happening elsewhere in the room- you cannot ignore those areas-even if choose not to "acknowledge" them.

You mean like this? RS - Technology - Nexo

View attachment 3075

Thanks,
Loren

May be a variation of something like 2 of these...

(the -1 dB on 6 was an accident)

Attachments

• subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Well that would certainly make sense if that's what it was doing. I'm sorry for not knowing, but which direction are the cabinets in your model pointing? Same direction as in my hand sketch (all cabinets firing toward the side wall, away from the stage thrust)?

Thanks for throwing that model together.

Well that would certainly make sense if that's what it was doing. I'm sorry for not knowing, but which direction are the cabinets in your model pointing? Same direction as in my hand sketch (all cabinets firing toward the side wall, away from the stage thrust)?

Thanks for throwing that model together.

Same direction as in your hand sketch. It’s modeled with 6 boxes in pairs. One delay on the front two (pairs) boxes. It was my first guess; I’m sure you could fine tune the delay or use two different delays and modify the pattern etc…

Peter