What sort of rig are you running?

What Rig do I run; Why did I choose it; and What do I think about it? -I'm stealing one from Mark.-

I posting this in the JV section since most of us run the same sort of rigs each show and we don't have boat loads of gear in a warehouse.

To start off I have ''2'' FOH Rigs.

My ''A-rig'' consist of:

Mains: EV QRx212

Subs: JBL SRX718s

FOH Amps: Crown IT4000 on mains, Crown IT8000 on subs

Monitors: JBL MRX512m (x5) as wedges and MRX525 (x1) as a Drummer monitor

Mon Amps: Crown XTi4000 (x3)

My ''B-rig'' consist of:

Mains: MRX512m

Subs: SRX718s

FOH Amps: IT4000 on mains, IT8000 on subs

Monitors: MR512m as wedges and MRX525 as a Drummer monitor

Mon Amps: XTi4000

My Mixers: I have an Yamaha LS9-32 and I tend to use the LS9 as my primary mixer. But, I have a Yamaha 01V96 and PreSonus DigiMax D8 to bring my inputs channel count up to 20.

Snakes and Mic Cables: I tend to use products from EWI; I have their 32x8 (at 150'). I have a bunch of their Starline cables; they've been successful.

For Transportation I own a 2006 Chevy Express cargo van, it is the extended version with the Duramax Diesel. Everyone does wonder, I average 17 mpg with the van loaded (21-22 mpg when empty).

My A-rig is very solid and fills majority of the venues and shows in my market area. With 1 QRx212 and 2-3 SRX718s per side, I tend to use this rig in rooms for up to 400 people for rock music. In the future I want to add another pair of QRx212 and SRX718s along with a few more IT amps; and then I'm looking at topping out round 700-800 people indoors.

My B-rig is a very good little SOS rig that I use for crowds under 100-125 people. Yes, the MRX's do run out of gas before the SRX's do. But, I am looking at ''changing'' out my SOS Mains to a pair of QRx115.

In the future, I would like to sell my 01v96 to buy an LS9-16.

At one point in time, I did own the full Yorkville Unity (U15 over UCS1) rig. The rig did work very well. I changed out the rig mainly for brand recognition as everyone knows that EV & JBL make great products.

I also choose the SRX718s over the SRX728s for the fact that the 718 is more versatile on a small scale. If I was running 2 tops per side, then I would have went the SRX728 route.

Re: What sort of rig are you running?

My gear is somewhat interchangeable, depending on factors like load-in ease, coverage needs, and so on. My ''pieces'' generally look like this:

1 amp rack with DCX2496, patch panel, drive snake, and:

* 1 EPX3000 (stereo mains)

* 2 EP4000 (bridged subs)

* 2 XTi 2000 (monitors)

1 amp rack with DRPA and:

* 1 EPX3000 (stereo mains)

* 1 EP2500, 1 RMX2450 (bridged subs)

* 1 XTi 2000 (monitors)

1 FoH rack with patch snakes, PDU, and:

* 1 Lexicon MX400XL

* 1 MDX2600, 1 MDX4600, 1 dbx 1066

* 2 dbx 231, 1 DEQ1024, 1 FBQ2496

1 carry-rack with PDU and:

* 1 PreSonus D8

* 1 Elation Show Designer 1

Console either LX7ii 24 or 01V96V2. PA and monitors any assortment of what I own, including 4 MRX525, 2 TR225, 2 SRX728S, 2 MRX528S, 4 MRX512M, 4 Kustom el-cheapo wedges, 2 B1800X subs.

My snakes are all EWI, main ones are 24x8x150 and 24x8x100. Vehicle is a 2005 K1500 Suburban plus 6x12 single-axle trailer.

My biggest needs are more 01V I/O, more drop snakes, another drive snake, and I really need four decent powered wedges. Most likely, these will be PRX612M or PRX615M, but I am going to demo them at the GC show room and give some thought to the default wedge angle of each instead of chose entirely based on sound.

I also need to rid myself of the Behringer subs, and sooner or later, pick up two more SRX728S and start thinking about upgrading from the MRX525s. However, I find the 525 is quite good compared to my competitors' rigs, and I am not entirely sure I want to do a ''small upgrade'' to SRX or QRx; and may instead wait until I can get something much better.

Finally, my logistics need to upgrade pretty soon. My next purchase will be more lighting, truss, and truss lifts; and that will max out my trailer with just my A rig and lights loaded.

My local rig looks like this:

Mains: Mackie HD1531

Subs: Mackie HD1801

Monitors: Mackie SRM450 / C300

Mon amps: Peavey IPR1600

Console: Mackie Onyx 1640 or Peavey RQ2318

Outboard: dbx 1066's, dbx 160's, BSS DPR404/504, TC M3000, TC D2, Behringer dcx2496

Snake: 16x4 100' horizon snake

XLR: GLS cables, because they're cheap and reliable

+ all the usual mics, stands and such.

Everything fits nicely in the bed of my Ford F150(6' bed). The goal of this system was to cover smallish local shows and be easy to move with a single person. It's easy in and outs, and sounds good.

The majority of my business now is dry rentals, so the SRM450's and C300's see the most usage.

I really have no plans to expand or upgrade. If I can pick up a few more SRM450's at a good price, I may do that, but otherwise I'm set. Everything stays fairly busy and is making me money.

Evan

Evan,

When did you start using a 1640. I thought I was the only person on the planet who thought that board was good sounding and well made.

My rig, well you guys already know.

100% JBL SRX and QSC for speakers and power, DBX, Focusrite and TC for outboard effects, Roland XV-3080s for sound modules, every Heil mic ever made, and of course...

The infamous 551P-TAC utilizing JBL 2242H drivers.

Evan,

When did you start using a 1640. I thought I was the only person on the planet who thought that board was good sounding and well made.

My rig, well you guys already know.

100% JBL SRX and QSC for speakers and power, DBX, Focusrite and TC for outboard effects, Roland XV-3080s for sound modules, every Heil mic ever made, and of course...

Ive got a 1640 as well, Almost sold it a month or two back but just couldnt do it. I think its a great board for the size/money. All 6 auxes are rep/post switchable and thats a huge plus.

Right now im restructuring the rig and sold off a lot, What I have left is, Mackie Onyx 1640, QRX115s, Crown Power, TC ELectronics for FX. Looking to get into an overall larger scalable rig and researching some options. I will always keep a pile of QRX115s around for monitors/Fills.

My only full rig is:

Mains: QSC KW122's

Subs: QSC KW181's

Monitor: QSC K10

''Console'': Rane TTM-57SL and Pioneer DJM-800

Source Components: Pioneer CDJ-800 and CDJ-1000MK3's

Outboard: DBX Driverack PA

XLR- Mix of Rapco, Hosa, and Monster

''A-Rig'' in progress:

Mains: JBL SRX-715's

Main Amp: Crown IT-9000HD

Transportation: 2010 Avalanche or a 2007 Suburban which either rig fits in nicely.

I have access to two IT-4000s and two SRX-728s as well.

Not sure where I want to or need to go next... A good friend of mine mixes all the concerts at a local college and has been asking me for work but I don't do live sound at the moment. Will be seriously considering it this year.

With that said I'm looking at a couple different options for my next couple of purchases which include: SRX-718s, another IT-9000 to complete my ''A-rig'' or QSC KW153's, two more KW122's for a total of 4 monitor mixes, two more KW181's and a desk (Yammy, soundcraft, or presonus) for a decent live rig.

Almost forgot! ''my rig'' at one of my installs consist of

Console: Mackie Onyx 820i

Mic: Sennheiser e865

Monitors: JBL EON10G2

Backline: Yamaha CP33s and Alesis Drum machine

XLR: Rapco

small dueling pianos gig every friday night consisting of two mics, two pianos, one drum machine two musicians.

I can use this at anytime as well.

Okay, I have wanted to ask this question for about two years. I assume the answer involves a feline. Why are the speakers infamous and what does TAC stand for?

OK, I might as well tell the story.

About 4 years ago, maybe longer, I had a pair of Bag End subs I was using. I really liked these subs, had used them for a number of years, they had great tone, and filled the bill. Best of all they didn't need much power and they were perfect for small gigs.

I have a very large basement, 40'x70', and that's where the band pratices, where I rebuild amps, record, etc.

I went down to the basement one day, fired up the rid to do a little recording work, and heard the worst sound you can imagine coming from the left sub.

One quick look was all it took to know my cat had pissed all over the grill, and it ran down into the driver soaked the cone and it tore all around the edge. Not only did the little prick get the left sub, but the right, and so both were junk.

I worked with Charlie Tappa of Pro Sound Service in Braintree, MA, some of the good folks at JBL, and eventually determined that I could put the 2242H into the Bag End cabinets with some minor modifications.

The best part of the mod was that the Bag End cabinets were identical in size to the SRX718 which had just come out and I only needed to modify the driver opening and the port.

The modified subs have all the characteristics of the 718, are the same size, but actually compliment the 718 with lower frequency response.

The 2252H is not a cheap driver and is still current production. Most places sell them for $650-$700 so you don't see or hear a lot of them.

Here's the specs.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2242.pdf

And the cat has been dead for over a year.

Since there isn't a ''Freshman'' level, I'll post my rig, which has improved dramatically thanks to suggestions from all of you guys.

<u>Main system</u> - in an EWI mixer over 4 rack space case:

original 01v mixer

Furman Power Strip

DEQ830

EWI 2-space rack drawer for mics, DI's, turnarounds, ipod cables, H2 stuff

2 QSC HPR122i's for mains, Pro Co Siamese XLR-IEC 50' cables (Thanks Mike Pyle)

Audiopile snake

Audiopile mic cables

Power? Look for a 15 amp plug that everything will plug into and pray. Need to get a black power snake with outlets along the way vs. the home depot yellow one that I have, but it works great.

Audiopile M-40 case for all these cables

<u>Monitors:</u>

Rolls PM55 Personal Monitor Amp for IEMs for singer, and hopefully keyboards

Looking for monitors for the rest of us; may get drummer to try IEMs as well and get 2 K10's and be done with it.

<u>Mics/DI</u>:

D6

SM58 x 3

SM57 x 3

e906 x 2

AT Pro37 x 2

KSM27

JDI x 2, Pro DI2 x 1

<u>transportation:</u>

If just my stuff (plus 2 guitars, 2 guitar amps: Honda Element

If including the drums - wife's Honda Odyssey

contrast this to when I started talking to you guys:

Mackie 1642

Lexicon MPX200

dbx 1046

JBL JRX 115 (that I actually spent money trying to upgrade the HF from Parts express) off a 1850HD

Samson ''resound'' monitors off an QSC 850

Thanks all for feeding my gear habit, and thanks for Bob Leonard for feeding my guitar gear habit even more. Still on the prowl for a Super Reverb...

d+b Q7 + B2 per side off D12 amps.

Verona 320 as foh/mon with 6ch of KT Helix.

Lexicon MPX500, TC D2, Drawmer 4ch comp, 4ch gate

32ch own made main core; variety of 4, 8, 16 sub-snakes made from MSB & Jands parts.

Mics include heil, 87, 58, KMS105, atm, akg and so on.

Di's KT, BSS, LA-Audio and some home made ones with lundhal transformers.

Wedges are a mixed bag.. yamaha club 15's, 12's; JBL MR902's; Elite 401's. Need upgrading !

Andrew

I have a couple little rigs.

1st Rig is up to 8 TCS 2500 tops and up to 12 TCS 2800 Subs depending on application, Camco Vortex 6 power, BSS Minidrive 336-T processors.

2nd Rig is 2 TCS TM112 Tops over 2 TCS 1800 subs, DRPA processor, Mackie 1400i amps. This rig is tiny and sounds phenominal! This is my new money maker.

3rd Rig is 2 EV ZX1-90 tops over 2 Radian RPS 118 subs, same processing and amps as the second rig.

4th Rig is up to 4 TCS 215 tops with 2 TCS 218 Subs, TCS and Mackie amps with DR260 Processor. This would be a ''B'' rig for me for 2nd stages at raves and beer gardens, etc.

I have a boat load of DBX2231 Eqs, 231 Eqs and 1066s and a handful of Drawmer DS201s and a couple SPX 90s, etc. I also some Behringer Comps and Gates for the ''B'' rig stuff

I have 10 TCS 1150M Monitors and 8 TCS 115M monitors and one TCS 212M monitor.

I also have 12 Carvin LM15A Powered speakers taht we use for 10K starting lines, basic SOS type of stuff. Great investments!

Consoles are PM3500 24+4, MC3210M, O1V96VCM, Mackie 32.4 VLZ Semipro, Mackie 24.4 VLZ semipro, A&H Mix Wiz 3 16:2, three Behringer 602/802 mixers, etc.

Power distribution is an Amp Shop 200 Amp single phase distro with 8 edisons, four 50 CS outs. I have several Motion Labs Rac Pacs with CS connectors and 20/30 amp ciruits as needed.

Mics are Tons of shure 57s, 58s, B52s, B91, Oktava 012, 219, CAD drum mics, Beyer Opus 88s and TGX50mkII, Shure SLX 24/58, Shure ULXP 24/58, 8 channels of MiPRo ACT 707 with belt pacs and HS09 headsets, etc.

I am not really into lighting but I have 16 AM DJ PAR64 500/1000 watts and 24 Colorkey PAR 64 LEDS, Atomic 3000, Bluelite control software, Antari Fog machines, and a couple other small items.

My humble little A, B, C... rig looks something like this:

Mains:

-Yorkville U15

-JBL SRX718

-JTR Growler

Monitors:

-Yorkville NX35

-Mackie SRM450

Amps:

-QSC PL380

-QSC PLX3402

-QSC GX5

-QSC RMX1850HD

Processing/EFX:

-BBE DS24

-Yorkville UP15

-dbx 1046 Quad Comps

-dbx 1221 GEQ's

-Symetrix 524e Quad Gates

-T.C. Electronics M-One XL

Consoles:

-Allen & Heath GL2200-24

-Mackie CFX12

Take Care,

Phil

I am trying real hard NOT to be a provider. Last year maybe 1/2 of the shows I did were using my own equipment. As the bands I work for get better gigs, more and more shows will be on house rigs.

Anyway my KISS rig is

FOH- HPR 153 or 152 over HPR 181

Monitors- K10's

Console- Mixwiz

Processing- 8 channels of dBx gate/comp, 4 channels limiters

Lexicon MX400

System Processing- Sabine Navigator 4802

I have a small A rig:

Mains

2 EAW KF 650z

4 Danley TH212

Monitors

3 Microwedges

2 EV QRx 112/75

processing

1 Driverack 260

3 Drawmer DS 201

3 dbx 1066

1 Ashley 3102

1 DN360

1 dbx 1231

Effects

1 Lexicon MPX 1

1 TC MPX

1 TC D2

Power

All QSC

2 PL 380

1 PL 340

1 PL 325

2 PLX 3602

2 PL 236

2 PLX 2402

For consoles I rent either a Venice or Verona as needed

For a B rig the QRx become tops and only one pair of subs. Mix Wiz for a console

Edit: I have a C rig which is a pair of SM 115 powered by an XS1200

The A rig is a good solid PA for the gig's I provide for. A few outdoor show's for the entertainment companys and several small municipalities that I have as clients. I've had no trouble with crowds of about 7-800 but I would love to double the amount of FOH boxes and MicroWedges. And maybe an SC48
icon_biggrin.gif

We provide the sound for a fair number of smaller outdoor music festivals and civic events. The rig is usually a combination of the following items depending upon the venue and budget.

Mixers/Consoles:

* Mackie TT24 Digital Console

* Yamaha 01V96 v2 and VCM Digital Consoles

Speakers:

* Danley Sound Labs SH-46 fully horn-loaded dual 12'' 3-way loudspeakers

* Danley Sound Labs TH-115 tapped horn 15'' subwoofers

* FBT PSR 212MA 12'' Self-powered Bi-amped Co-axial floor monitors

* FBT Maxx4A and HiMaxx40A 12'' Self-powered Bi-amped multi-purpose speakers

* FBT Verve8MA 8'' Self-powered Bi-amped Co-axial multi-purpose speakers

Amplifiers

* QSC Audio PL380s

Drive Rack:

* Sabine Navigator 3600 3*6 DSPs with Ethernet remote control

* Rane ME-60 Graphic EQ used as an insert

* Dolby MESA EQ

Microphones:

* Sennheiser e906

* Sennheiser e904

* Sennheiser e902

* Sennheiser EW500G3 Wireless (both headset and handheld mics available)

* Shure Beta 58A

* Shure Beta52

* Shure SM57

* Audio-Technica ATM350

* Audio-Technica ATM450

* Audix OM6

* Audix RAD-360 Wireless OM-6 Capsule

* Audix Micros Condensors

* Audix SCX1-HC Condensors

* Audix SCX-25A Condensors

* Audix VX-10 Vocal Condensors

* Audix CX-112 Condensors

* Audix Micro-D Drum Mics

* Audix D4

* Audix D6

Direct Boxes:

* Whirlwind USA HotBox

* Whirlwind USA Direct-JT

* BSS AR-133 Active Direct Boxes

Snakes:

* Whirlwind Medusa 32*10 150'

* Whirlwind Medusa 24*8 150' with Monitor Split

* Whirlwind Medusa 8*4 50'

* Whirlwind Medusa 6*0 50' sub-snakes

* Whirlwind Medusa 6*0 25' sub-snakes

System Optimization:

* Siasoft SMAART 7 Analysis Software

* Audix Measurement Mic

* IBM ThinkPad Laptops

* Apple MacBook Pro

* Sound Devices USBpre

Lighting:

* Daisy 60*3W RGBAW LED Outdoor PAR (QTY:4)

* Daisy 36*3W RGBAW LED PAR (QTY:4)

* Daisy 72*1W RGBAW LED Strip Lights (QTY:4)

* ETC Source Four PAR 575 watt (QTY:8)

* NSI Dimmer Packs (QTY:4)

* NSI MC6300 DMX-512 Controller

* Innovate Show Controls Bluelite X1 Computer Based DMX Controller

* Mobil-Tech Heavy Duty Crank Stands 13' working height

Transportation:

* UnderCoverNYC and Tuki covers for all Speakers

* Philly Case Company cases for consoles

* EWI equipment racks

* Haulmark 7'x14' Trailer with ramp door

* 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab Truck

Power Distribution:

* Motion Labs RacPacs

* 25' 6-4 AWG SOOW Feeder with 10' bare tails

* 40' 6-4 AWG SOOW Feeder Extension

* 60' 6-4 AWG SOOW Feeder Extension

* 100' 6-4 AWG SOOW Feeder Extension

* 100' 10-3 AWG SOOW Extension Cables

* 50' 10-3 AWG SOOW Extension Cables

* 25' 12-3 AWG SOOW Quad Boxes with tails

* 15' 12-3 AWG SOOW Quad Boxes with tails

Recording:

* Apple MacBook Pro

* Logic Pro 9

* RME Audio FireFace800

* Several Terabytes of audio storage

Hi Matt, sending more snow your way.

I have two systems, the older being an EAW FR183 (as subs only) and Yamaha S115 tops, powered by a GPS2600 and RMX2450. Mixing on an A and H Mixwiz (one of two) w/ DBX eq and comps.

The other is a QRX 212 over UCS1's (four) powered by XTI's, same mixers.

Monitoring is Renkus Heinz TRC 121/9's or I have held on to a set of older Carvins, likely because the 12 alternative groups seem to need a place to wipe their feet, powered by XTI or Carvin amps. In ear rig is currently a Mackie/Shure PSM combination. I personally use Sennheiser wireless for my guitars / bass if I'm the performer.

Older system was purchased because of cost and sound quality considerations at the time ( was only using the tops for accoustic performances) and the EAWs were a gift from a good friend. I love those EAW's. They sound great and have served me well and can be used as three ways also. 1000 w boxes, front loaded and short throw. The Yamahas, well, damn good for the price and reliable. A nice sounding and reliable system altogether.

I did quite a bit of study re the QRX rig, listened to every argument on the planet as to why I should buy JBL instead, and went with what my ears told me. The system rocks, and sounds very good. I currently mix for a top local act and we're getting great feedback from clients on the rig. Kudos to the band as it takes all of us to make it work.

Current gear lust has eyes on the Presonus 24 - 4, 01v96VCM and Roland M300, or possibly the I live. Will have to wash the wifes feet on the latter. Can't seem to fall in love with the LS9, would need to sell a leg or two for the Soundcraft SI, and likely have to move into a separate apartment to boot.

Wife once said, as I was equipping my studio, '' I can't put $1500 and microphone together ''. One day, I saw my opening and told her I could not put $350 and purse together. We have an understanding now. Likely the digital console will birth sooner than later.

Steve

HI Guys - nice to be here on a familiar format, and I hope everyone has a great season this year...

Here's what I currently have, but I'm hoping to add an M7CL 48 this year
icon_biggrin.gif
and some more power amps...

A rig

Racks n stacks

12 EAW KF 730

8 EAW SB 1000

1 EAW UX 8800

8 PLX 3402 bridge mono

4 QSC PL 6.0II

6 EV FRI2080 Front fill cabinets

3 Motion lab rack packs

1 Soundcraft MH2 - 48 or YAMAHA LS-9 32

1 TC D2 Delay

1 TC M-ONE Multieffect

1 Yamaha SPX 990

2 Klark Sqaure one dynamics

1 Klark DN360 eq

1 CBI 250 ' 40 x 8 Snake w MASS

Mons

1 Yamaha GA 32 console

6 EV XW15A montiors

6 EV XW12A montiors

2 DBX 480 driverack w remote

4 QSC PLX2402 Highs

4 QSC PL2.0HV Lows

2 Motion lab rack packs

1 Motion Labs 200amp three phase distro, or 100amp single phase custom distro

B rig

4 EAW KF 650isr

4 Yorkville TX-9s

1 EAW UX 8800

4 QSC PLX2402

1 whichever console is not being used above

1 BRTB 150' 32x8 snake w split

Mons

1 Mackie sr 24 console (if required)

4 Yorkville Elite 401M

1 DBX 480 driverack

left overs / drum fill / delay

2 Yorkville Elite EX2000s

2 Yorkville Elite SW1000 subs

2 EF500P powered yorkville

2 LS800P powered subs

effects / comps / eq's / denon product

2 NX520P powered boxes

Shure microphones / Senheiser Mics / AT mics / Radial

CLUB INSTALLED

4 Yorkville TX-4 tops

4 Yorkville TX-9 subs

1 TX4P processor

1 Crest CA 6

2 Crest CA18

1 Midas Venice 32

1 Yamaha SPX 90

1 Roland SDE1000 delay

2 Behringer quad comps

1 Behringer quad gate

1 Drawmer stereo comp

1 Digiflex 32 ch split snake

1 Ashley Protea 4 x4 Eq

8 Custom JBL loaded bi-amp wedges ( 1x1'', 1x15'')

1 Yamaha 4220 quad amp ( highs)

2 Audiopro 3400 bi-amp mon low

Shure microphones / Senheiser Mics / Behringer Dis