Whats in your mic box and what your favorite?

Re: Whats in your mic box and what your favorite?

<font size="4">It's not the gear, it's the ear</font>

Too bad the signature lines don't show up in the quotes. I thought that one needed a little size boost.

Or an ego boost...
icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm, a memory test
icon_smile.gif

Shure

(8 ) SM58

(1) SM86

(7) SM57

(2) Beta 57A

(1) Beta 52

(2) SM81

(4) ULX 58 + 87 capsule

(1) SM98

(1) Beta98A

(1) VP88

(1) SM99?? Podium mic

Sennheiser

(4) e835

(4) e865

(2) e609

AKG

(4) 2020

(1) ??? Podium mic

Audix

(2) Micro-d

(1) D6

Rode

(2) NT5

Radial

(1) PCDI

(2) ProDI

(2) JDI

(3) J48

Countryman

(1) Type 85

On the current rock show with a hat:

Kick In- Senn Plate thing e901

Kick Out- Senn 902

Snare up- ATM-25

Snare Under- Senn e905

Hats/OH- Senn e914

Toms- Senn e904 or 604, depends on the kit/how I feel

Lead Guitar- Shure SM-7 (Yes....did not omit the 5. SM-7)

Other Guitar- e906 or SM-57

Steel Guitar- e906

Vocals- e845

Money Vocal- Senn G3 5000 series with 965 capsule

Bass DI- either a Radial or Agilar, depends what he sticks on his Pedal Train after his Lectrosonics wireless.

We recently tossed up the SM-7 on guitar. We are diggin it. Bigtime.

On the current rock show with a hat:

Kick In- Senn Plate thing e901

Kick Out- Senn 902

Snare up- ATM-25

Snare Under- Senn e905

Hats/OH- Senn e914

Toms- Senn e904 or 604, depends on the kit/how I feel

Lead Guitar- Shure SM-7 (Yes....did not omit the 5. SM-7)

Other Guitar- e906 or SM-57

Steel Guitar- e906

Vocals- e845

Money Vocal- Senn G3 5000 series with 965 capsule

Bass DI- either a Radial or Agilar, depends what he sticks on his Pedal Train after his Lectrosonics wireless.

We recently tossed up the SM-7 on guitar. We are diggin it. Bigtime.

I love SM-7's on bright sounding amps i.e. Twins
icon_cool.gif

Don't see any ''ribbon'' love here on gtr amps
icon_biggrin.gif

Peace

Rob, It is rare that I see a guitar amp that produces enough fine detail to warrant a ribbon. Most guitarists around here wield a hatchet rather than a scapel.

Rob, It is rare that I see a guitar amp that produces enough fine detail to warrant a ribbon. Most guitarists around here wield a hatchet rather than a scapel.

Your right Jay
icon_biggrin.gif
Ribbons sound mighty good on acoustic instruments as you well know. Most '' hatchet '' gtr players I deal with get a blend of dynamic's and ribbon's depending on the song and more importantly the arrangement
icon_cool.gif

Peace

Your right Jay
icon_biggrin.gif
Ribbons sound mighty good on acoustic instruments as you well know. Most '' hatchet '' gtr players I deal with get a blend of dynamic's and ribbon's depending on the song and more importantly the arrangement
icon_cool.gif

Peace

I was loosely interested in the new shures but I also seem to have this ongoing love affair with U87's and KMS184/185's

Your right Jay
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif

Peace

I was loosely interested in the new shures but I also seem to have this ongoing love affair with U87's and KMS184/185's

There' a lot of cheap Chinese ribbons out there. The cool thing about that is if you fry the ribbon( it's never happen to me ) you just throw them away
icon_biggrin.gif

And I've never been a big Neumann fanboy except for the 67 I own witch never leaves the studio
icon_cool.gif

Peace

Rob

Baby steps in my camp...... took me long enough to convince the MD that yes, there are mics out there other than an SM57 that will work juuuuust fine on an AC30. Just snuck the SM-7 on there a little while ago and he was rather intrigued. 15min into soundcheck and he was a happy camper (FOH and I were happy instantly. But we are simple folk that way and aren't fans of the SM57 on anything).

If we were spending more time on a bus and less time doing oneoffs with little time I would consider a Coles or Royer, but so far the dynamics are doing rather nicely. Thankfully we have guys that have pretty beefy and excellent sounding tones (one nice thing about the rock show with a hat.....no danger of pointy sounding 6 strings. All about the tone with these guys. Got a pair of pretty solid session fellers out on the road and it is always a good day when we get a couple of solid AC30's and Greenbacks)

Baby steps in my camp...... took me long enough to convince the MD that yes, there are mics out there other than an SM57 that will work juuuuust fine on an AC30. Just snuck the SM-7 on there a little while ago and he was rather intrigued. 15min into soundcheck and he was a happy camper (FOH and I were happy instantly. But we are simple folk that way and aren't fans of the SM57 on anything).

If we were spending more time on a bus and less time doing oneoffs with little time I would consider a Coles or Royer, but so far the dynamics are doing rather nicely. Thankfully we have guys that have pretty beefy and excellent sounding tones (one nice thing about the rock show with a hat.....no danger of pointy sounding 6 strings. All about the tone with these guys. Got a pair of pretty solid session fellers out on the road and it is always a good day when we get a couple of solid AC30's and Greenbacks)

I'm all about the ''Shit in, Shit out'' thing
icon_biggrin.gif
I work with my guys when it comes to their amp setup and their tone. Some guys dig in some don't :lol Right now I'm all about my modded Apex ribbons and some 57's throw in for shits and giggles
icon_cool.gif

YMMV... :)

Peace

Been using my SM7 on a Fender SuperSonic and Strat for a while. The guy used to take my head off playing clean country. Now not so much (at least on a good night.)

at 2010 on vocals. i was surprised i have a 2020 that is a crappy studio mic but the 2010 is a great live mic. when i took them to my church they upgraded to the 2010 from 58 the next Sunday

Ha, that is one of my secrets. Especially since I got a full set of them new at less than the cost of a SM58 each because the shop said no one was interested in condensor vocal mics.