What's up?

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
What has happened to this forum. At one time it was very active then it seemed to drop off severely. I thought it might be because business is good and no one had time. But even with the country coming to a standstill, there's still very little conversation on here. At one time you asked a question and you got 20 responses,now you're lucky if you get one answer. So where's everyone at?

I think most of what is going on has to do with Book Face type places. If you own gear X,Y,Z then you can find 3 or so chat groups for each one to ask questions about it. Same with measurements or lighting etc. Still worthy information here but just at a lower level than before.

Doug

What has happened to this forum. At one time it was very active then it seemed to drop off severely. I thought it might be because business is good and no one had time. But even with the country coming to a standstill, there's still very little conversation on here. At one time you asked a question and you got 20 responses,now you're lucky if you get one answer. So where's everyone at?

Surprisingly, traffic dropped significantly (30~35%) as shelter in place orders rolled out around the world.

Graph of traffic from March 01 to April 19, 2020

Nov 1 - Dec 31, 2019 shows ~0% change in unique user count versus the previous year, with a ~7% decrease in total page views. While a lot of forum discussion has probably moved to Facebook, the signal to noise ratio still seems pretty high here.

What I don't get, is it seems like when something stops working on that other forum, no one cares. Email alerts stopped working, Tapatalk broke, no one cares.

Tim,

Although I think you’re right, I wonder why you can’t even get a reply about it. I think really highly of those moderators, but not being able to use Tapatalk is a real PITA and I’d like to know if it could be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone

Tim,

Although I think you’re right, I wonder why you can’t even get a reply about it. I think really highly of those moderators, but not being able to use Tapatalk is a real PITA and I’d like to know if it could be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone
My past experiences lead me to believe they are silent because they don't have any good news to offer.

Reactions: Bob Charest
I think most of what is going on has to do with Book Face type places. If you own gear X,Y,Z then you can find 3 or so chat groups for each one to ask questions about it. Same with measurements or lighting etc. Still worthy information here but just at a lower level than before.

Doug

I agree. I read nearly every post on the other forum, starting around 2002-ish. Switched to here when this started, after a while dropped in on the old place, saw familiar moderators still there, and went back due to higher activity there. Nearly forgot about this site until I remembered Peter's PM60/90 and re-read much of those threads.

Shelter in place slowed it considerably, but FB has taken a big bite. For example, I like A&H consoles, and am part of 3 FB groups for them. Danley has something like 3 FB groups, and I'm part of (and moderator of one) two AV Design groups. Throw in a handful of other specific manufacturer FB groups, all of which are pretty busy - and I currently have probably 10x as many posts per day to read if I feel like it - than this site and PSW combined.

I think Caleb's experience is likely similar for a bunch of people. I have to say though, I loathe Facebook for about 1000 reasons, and am hardly ever on there. I have never really gone back to PSW (aside from their Marketplace) after this site started up. I'm personally not as active anymore as I don't do as much live sound work, most of my work has been in the studio lately or playing in bands/recording.
One of the things I really prefer about forums is that over time you get to know many of the people and it feels more like a community.

Im not on Facebook either. Im on here quite a bit but I think when the new generation has a question they just search youtube for a video about it. This is still my preferred place to get questions answered though. Typically people elaborate further so you learn more than the requested info.

Anyone doing some interesting projects now "to move time faster"?

I just finished building a pair of Linkwitz LxSub4 subwoofers for my living room. Sounds promising after first week of listening tests.
Need to look at a Linear Phase-capable DSP, right now I'm using a Lake LM26. It works as intended, sounds better than my previous DSP solution but has a fan. That fan makes it a bit too noisy for my liking. Suggestions for a non-fan DSP with Linear Phase Xo?

It's Facebook
I have notice that forums are a little out of date. They are good for sharing ideas and getting advice.
My forum for fishing, shut itself halfway off. They disabled any fancy text, links, pictures and all of my posts became invisible because you could not even use bold or italics. it was a way to make that forum into a private message board.

I think the big social media is the answer. there are organized groups all over facebook. I think that is where it is all going.
I just joined this forum and I see a shrinking effort.