Wiki talk pages hosting spam crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Vault" needs an active admin

Two talk pages are now constant targets for Russian spammer, and it appears my new account there has been the only "active user" in the past 91 days.

Perhaps I could offer my services as an admin. At the very least, it would be easier to fight vandals if I had rollback rights.

FWIW: I have over 16,000 edits on Wikipedia, and although I am not yet an admin there I do have reviewer rights and ad hoc rollback rights via some vandal fighter tools available there.

My user page there (the name matches the one I have chosen for "The Vault"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Uncle_Milty

Since there appears to be no RFA system here, I thought I'd just right come out and ask. It's not something I can put a bunch of time into, but someone should be watching the place occasionally.

Re: "The Vault" needs an active admin

Two talk pages are now constant targets for Russian spammer, and it appears my new account there has been the only "active user" in the past 91 days.

Perhaps I could offer my services as an admin. At the very least, it would be easier to fight vandals if I had rollback rights.

FWIW: I have over 16,000 edits on Wikipedia, and although I am not yet an admin there I do have reviewer rights and ad hoc rollback rights via some vandal fighter tools available there.

My user page there (the name matches the one I have chosen for "The Vault"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Uncle_Milty

Since there appears to be no RFA system here, I thought I'd just right come out and ask. It's not something I can put a bunch of time into, but someone should be watching the place occasionally.

Milt,

Thanks for taking care of that.

The wiki moved low on our list of things to take care of once we transitioned to vBulletin, and I never went through the config file to set all of the permissions on it, so right now, anyone can make posts/edits, and there's nothing on there to prevent spam.

It moved towards the top again once we got all of the problems around the site sorted out. On the test site, we're working on fully integrating it with the vBulletin suite. If we manage to get all that going, the Wiki will fit into the theme, but more importantly, we'll integrate their databases, so users, search, and statistics will be the same on both.

I'll get through the config file on there in the next few days, It's been a busy week.

I'll add rollback rights for your account on there in the next day or two. We'd love to have your help with the Wiki, as Bennett and I haven't really had much experience with MediaWiki.

If anyone else has experience with Wikis, feel free to add/edit content. Once the other database is all set, I'll just be moving all the content directly over from this one.

Milt,

Thanks for taking care of that.

The wiki moved low on our list of things to take care of once we transitioned to vBulletin, and I never went through the config file to set all of the permissions on it, so right now, anyone can make posts/edits, and there's nothing on there to prevent spam.

It moved towards the top again once we got all of the problems around the site sorted out. On the test site, we're working on fully integrating it with the vBulletin suite. If we manage to get all that going, the Wiki will fit into the theme, but more importantly, we'll integrate their databases, so users, search, and statistics will be the same on both.

I'll get through the config file on there in the next few days, It's been a busy week.

I'll add rollback rights for your account on there in the next day or two. We'd love to have your help with the Wiki, as Bennett and I haven't really had much experience with MediaWiki.

If anyone else has experience with Wikis, feel free to add/edit content. Once the other database is all set, I'll just be moving all the content directly over from this one.

That sounds too much like work. ^_^

I'll admit that my Wiki experience is primarily on the surface, as Wikipedia already has quite the bureaucratic infrastructure. I'm not likely to be much help beyond vandalism fighting and the occasional article tweaking, although I am learn a little more backstage craft as I go.

While the rollback rights would help, it would probably be more effective at moment to take away all editing privileges from IP users (aka: those without accounts.) Since this Wiki is tied to a forum that requires an account to post, it's only reasonable to require the same on the Wiki.

IMHO, of course.

That sounds too much like work. ^_^

I'll admit that my Wiki experience is primarily on the surface, as Wikipedia already has quite the bureaucratic infrastructure. I'm not likely to be much help beyond vandalism fighting and the occasional article tweaking, although I am learn a little more backstage craft as I go.

While the rollback rights would help, it would probably be more effective at moment to take away all editing privileges from IP users (aka: those without accounts.) Since this Wiki is tied to a forum that requires an account to post, it's only reasonable to require the same on the Wiki.

IMHO, of course.

Milt,

I turned off editing for the world last night. The front end, or surface, is where we need the help. Just like the forum, all of the content there is user created. We'll handle all of the back end, but formatting articles, and generating content for the Wiki, that's something we need help with. We're providing the resource, but the community will really shape what the Wiki will become, just like it has with the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.