Wireless in 600 MHz band at risk of being banned

Ron Kimball

Senior
Mar 5, 2011
NE CT
Re: Wireless in 600 MHz band at risk of being banned

It's all about the money. I'm sure the lobbying efforts of telecom companies have something to do with this.

Henry Cohen has addressed this, it will probably be 8 years or so before legislation and regulation make this happen, but I think it's a sure bet that congress will milk more $$ out of spectrum while appeasing the alleged demand for "everything" to be wireless.

It's not just the telecom companies, either. The content providers have as much or more of a stake than the carriers.

This NYT article isn't breaking news, it's an interview piece for the theater nerds who don't even know that shows use wireless "mikes."

We commonly use "miking up the drums" last I knew. If I remember correctly "mike" was more common 35 years ago...

Justice, I'm always puzzled by individuals who use mic to refer to a singular and mikes for plural. I'm sure on that Cadac in the article it says 'ensemble mics' rather than 'ensemble mikes.'

We commonly use "miking up the drums" last I knew. If I remember correctly "mike" was more common 35 years ago...

Yeah, I dislike the "mike" spelling as well, although it might be excused if you are German.

When turning a noun into a verb, this might be a case for using the dreaded apostrophe, as in "mic'd". The apostrophe generally replaces the letters that were left out in a contraction.

GTD

In the mechanical world one tool used for precision measurements is the "micrometer" which machinists commonly refer to as a "mike" although some younger folks are using "mic" now, probably because microphones and mic are so common.

It is probably just me, but the reason why I prefer "Mike" is that it is pronounced similarily to Microphone, while "Mic" is pronounced like Mick (if I'm not completely mistaken about pronounciation convensions).

It is probably just me, but the reason why I prefer "Mike" is that it is pronounced similarily to Microphone, while "Mic" is pronounced like Mick (if I'm not completely mistaken about pronounciation convensions).

But if you know English, you know there are no "pronunciation conventions".:lol: