Wiring an amp rack

Re: Wiring an amp rack

Make sure to never use a "conditioner" with a voltage correcting auto transformer in it on amplifiers. Since the voltage correction will lag the current, you'll be without power on the second beat of the kick drum.

Make sure to never use a "conditioner" with a voltage correcting auto transformer in it on amplifiers. Since the voltage correction will lag the current, you'll be without power on the second beat of the kick drum.

I think it's safe to say that amps should be plugged straight into the ac circuit without any gizmos in between. With large amps, it's never ever done because there aren't any practical devices that can handle the load anyway.

Greg

Hey Tim, I think everyone uses SJ for speaker cables. There is no logical reason or code why anyone would use SO for that application.

I don't use banana plugs anymore since even the 'professional' ones (I was using ProCo) seem to fall out once in a while, and I don't have time to troubleshoot things like that at a show.

I meant SJ as opposed to the install wire that the OP mentioned.

It's because you have not used good banana plugs. The Deltron are the only ones I've found that aren't crap. I have some that are 20 years old and still have their tension.

I meant SJ as opposed to the install wire that the OP mentioned.

It's because you have not used good banana plugs. The Deltron are the only ones I've found that aren't crap. I have some that are 20 years old and still have their tension.

Does Deltron happen to make a banana plug that's rated at greater than 16A/50V? Because that's the highest rated one I found on their website, and those are only good for 800W (at ~3 ohms, less than that at other impedances).

Otherwise, I prefer spade lugs onto the amplifier binding posts.

Last edited:

The point is, you're not conditioning shit. Even if you bought a Surge X you'd just have a really excellent surge protector. That's not conditioning. The only conditioning I've ever seen done is by a bottle in my shower labeled "Herbal Essences"....

Hey, me too! I use the long term relationship one, because I buy in to the schemes they use to market to me as someone with long hair.

Does Deltron happen to make a banana plug that's rated at greater than 16A/50V? Because that's the highest rated one I found on their website, and those are only good for 800W (at ~3 ohms, less than that at other impedances).

Otherwise, I prefer spade lugs onto the amplifier binding posts.

Those are probably RMS/heating ratings. There are very few circumstances that you will be delivering (or will be able to deliver) 800 Watts continuously for any long period of time. That said, what I'm seeing on Mouser indicates that most of their banana plug products are rated for ~10A.

Also... what's wrong with these?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtAYTMy7wxAr2BeW/1npwgVyMhKz0UOPQ8=

5000V 15A