Working with cupped mics

Re: Working with cupped mics

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Shure KSM9HS. Shure Americas | KSM9HS Handheld Vocal Microphone

The Nashville Shure artist rep has said that the capsule was designed specifically to mitigate the effects of cupping the mic, including proximity effect and pattern stability. The Kenny Chesney tour is using the wireless version on an Axient TX. Opie, Chesney's BME, told me that it has completely solved issues that they were having with Kenny habitually cupping the mic.

Will it stand up to the extreme dynamics of a typical mic-cupping artist?

I want to market a replacement ball for the 58 - with spikes distributed all around the sphere! I would look cool, and be prety much perfect for Metal singers, and only a masochist would cup it.

If I'm not mistaken, someone on the "old board" [our friends there are still doing well it seems] had an image of this as an avatar years ago. I would love to find the original image if anyone knows where it came from.

I believe the one I'm thinking of is from Jon Halverson. Unfortunately I don't think he's active on either sound site now.

Taken from another thread... http://soundforums.net/product-reviews/97-digidesign-sc48-3.html#post65811

"My SC48 is on it's second gig today at a local hip hop festival. This is the first show I've mixed Hip Hop on an SC48, and the EQ and built in comps are excellent for taming even the worst ball cupping MC's." Tom Manchester

So I provided equipment for hip hop dance competition this past weekend and had this very issue. "FOH" was setup stage right behind the main speaker stack next to the DJ table. Due to the number of people and how they all gathered around the dance floor it was impossible to walk the crowd without walking through the middle of the competition.

All 3 of the DJ/Emcees cupped the mic.

What are some "general guidelines" for working with people that do cup the mic? Any practical suggestions for eq'ing a cupped mic?

I was using a Soundcraft M8. I did have HPF engaged (100hz), and the mids I had at about 6db down @ 240hz. Also had them running through a comp to tame the shouting match peaks. Anything else I could have done to even out the tone/increase intelligibility? Insert a geq?

I didnt have any feedback issues and the venue and group that hired us were happy with it and even paid us a bit extra at the end. My question is merely because I wasn't happy with it and just curious what I could do in future situations.

Suggestions appreciated!

I guess since I posted the original quote, I should elaborate:

At the particular festival we were working, I had separate Foh and monitor consoles. I was running the sc48 at FOH, and had a yamaha DM2000 at monitors.

In this particular scenario, the nice thing about not having to deal with monitors from FOH is you can hack the hell out of the eq and not worry about the consequences from a feedback standpoint. So if the vocals are too 250 heavy you can pull it down 12-15db or whatever you please, boost 8.12843 khz by 100db, whatever. I just go crazy with the EQ if i need to until it sounds like a normal "studio" vocal again. Whatever the eq algorithms are on the sc48, they seem forgiving of any extreme boosts or cuts.

From a monitors perspective, we usually start by having someone with earplugs ring out the wedges as loud as they'll get until they're pretty thoroughly into limit. Don't worry if they end up sounding "aggressive" or uneven, as long as they're loud as s*** and high quality monitors to begin with.

I remember hearing an interview with a musician who worked with Dr. Dre in the studio. He said his only advice is to take earplugs because the studio was extremely loud. I keep that in mind when I work with rap artists. The 5% who care about fidelity will work with you like any other professional musician to get what they want. For the rest, just make it sound like a chainsaw from 2' away with no feedback and you will likely get a thumbs up and bro hug at the end of the show.

If you are running monitors from FOH, best of luck you poor bastard, just do your best and try not to get shot :)

I don't know if I'd put a $700.00 mic in the hand of any rapper or punk ass metal band kid......

First channel of UHF-R I bought was when I got the contract to do a Nelly concert. Rather have him running around on stage in front of 9,000 people with plenty of headroom and fidelity than using a shure PGX.

Expensive mics can be cleaned, and you're much better off in difficult situations working with high quality gear than trying to force a 3 for $59 special mic to work.