X-Air

Re: X-Air

A guy named Vladimir Mekhnin pointed out that you can use the Airport Utility on the iPad to identify nearby wireless networks, their signal strength, and which channel they are using:

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]1. Download the AirPort utility via Appstore.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]2. Go to iOS settings and open the settings for Airport utility.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]3. Turn WiFi scanner on.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]4. Open Airport utility.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]5. Tap Scan and again Scan.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]6. Wait 10 sec.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]7. Now you can see all the networks with their channels and levels.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]8. Remember the channels of top 3 networks. Those channels are not for you. [/FONT]
icon_smile.gif

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]9. Now you can stop scanning.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]10. Tap on the "i" button.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]11. Now you can see the most busy WiFi channels.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]12. Now you know which channels are free or not so busy. Don't forget about #8.[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]13. Now you know the best channels for your XAir mixer.

[/FONT]
You do need the current version of AirPort Utility. At least one of the older versions doesn't have the scan option.

The compter apps Mac/PC have many more features than the tablet device apps iOS/Android. I wouldn't say better, becuase once we set up our system and SCENES on the Mac, we just use our tablet to mix at an event/gig. However, we always bring iPad, Android, MacBook, and external router to have all options covered in any situation.

No, this is currently only possible with the x32.

As I understand it the xair should be able to communicate directly with mcu compatible devices in the future. Today, you can use midi CC's to control the xair.

Correct, a future firmware update in the X-Air series will allow for the Mackie control protocol. The last updated added AutoMix.

The X-Air responds to Midi CC's and OSC.

More info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/behringerxair/

I finally figured out this very odd problem. A long time ago I had checked all the "install from unknown sources" stuff already, but still got that error- everytime... I figured it was a bug with the new software at the time. Anyway, many months past, and I installed the latest firmware and software version for osx - same problem.... Ugh!

Tracked it down to goofed up permissions on an internal file, that was nested into the application itself, and that would never correct, even with the updated software. A quick little chmod command later, and the software started up instantly.

Here's a link for info on this rather wacky and possibly a bit rare problem...

http://superuser.com/questions/898124/the-application-someapp-app-can-t-be-opened

Thanks for all the input and effort on it though! I hope this might help someone out someday, it might be a handy one to know about to increase your ninja geek skills.

Just got an xr18 in today, came with firmware 1.04
- upgraded it to 1.08 {running windows8.1 in parallels on a macbook pro running 10.10.2 (14C109)}

at first try upgrading firmware, it hung up at 39%, hit cancel - tried again and it went right to 100% and things progressed fine.

running 0.5.1 beta just fine under parallels - so I tried to load the new OSX 0.5.1 beta...

I just get a window that says.. [ The application "X-Air-Edit" can't be opened. ]

anyone else get this?

Also, the new ipad app interface seems very "Presonus-ish"... quite nice actually with the sliding left/right panes, it's just missing the eq curve display right now (just has knobs). I really like the fact that you can instantly see the updates made on xAirEdit in realtime. I notice my iPadAir will "glitch" quickly every minute or so, but not disconnect. I notice it says something like "can't connect" with a circle with arrrows. That little glitch thing does not happen in the regular x32 app on the iPad, or on xAirEdit running in windows in any way. I have the XR18 direct ethernet cable connected to a netgear R6700 dual band router. The interface is VERY snappy and quick, I've noticed no lag in the response so far. NICE WORK!

Well, as i started this thread way back before it shipped I thought I'd update it a bit :).
I recently purchased a $235 new XR12 and a $244 factory refurb NU4-6000. My goals were to:
1) Mess about with an X-Air
2) Put together a bass rack rig with real EQ
3) Have limited capability to mic the kick up though it when using a vocals only PA.

Well, I've now racked the XR up in my 6U shallow plastic Gator amp rack with the NU4-6000 and an NU3000 I already had for 6 channels of 1500 Behringer watts ;) . I'm pretty sure my under 50lb 9KW bass rig wins the internet? LOL

Turns out that there's enough gain on the XR12's 8 line inputs to use with mics too! And you can MacGyver the headphone output into another two monitor mixes for a total of four. With the same six buses as the XR18 you can use those to also split the channels into a mono HPF out on the Main Left and a mono LPF aux sub feed on the Main Right output.

My 1x15 RevSound RS115X bass cabs are flat to below 40Hz so can do double duty as subs and I had them built with pole mounts.

Anyways I'll take it out next Friday for an open mic we're hosting - I'll run the two bass cabs each on their own amp channel and four of my 10" coaxial monitors on the other four. I'll pole-fly a couple Behringer B208D's as tops - it's not a metal gig ;) . One of the monitors will be for me to monitor my bass playin' - I've done that before no prob and have all the monitors highpassed at 100Hz. Those particular monitors are tiny sealed cabs anyways that are -3db at 120Hz and have the usual 6db/octave roll off of a sealed cab.

I've already posted my tribulations with the built-in WiFi on another thread I started yesterday.