X16 Preview

Uli Behringer

Sophomore
May 1, 2012
Philippines
www.music-group.com
X16.jpg
X16 Back.jpg

We like to share with you a preview of our new X16, which is based on the X32 digital mixer.

The iPad/PC based digital mixer includes 16 Midas-designed preamps, Ethernet connection for a wireless router, Ultranet for our P16 Personal Monitor system and also a bi-directional 16-channel USB recording interface. Like the X32, it will be remote controllable via iPad and PC (iXControl, XControl).

The unit is also rack and floor mountable for fixed installations.

Aside from the reduced channel count (16 inputs, 8 outputs) it has the same DSP engine and functionailty of the X32.

Delivery is targeted for Q2 2013 and the estimated price will be around US$ 1000.

Comments are appreciated.

Uli

Last edited:
Re: X16 Preview

PLEASE. Do not go down the ipad route with this. I was very much hoping for an 01v96 type rack mount version of the x32
Just add another layer button, give us 17 faders (16) inputs, one master. An input / output layer / aux and usb layer
Same screen, just cut down the x32 and rack mount it PLEASE....

Also where is the digital snake connection to be used with the x32 and s16 heads. Again please dont make a seperate piece of gear that doesnt integrate with the WHOLE family. I think others might agree its not just about price anymore, id easily pay another $500 to get a cut down version of x32.

The new issues with the latest iPhone should be enough to keep you away from doing this. How will this new device work when Apple decides to change the physical dimensions of the iPad? The silly dock adapters for the new iPhone aren't going to work so well with pro audio.

I agree, should be rack mountable small version of x32 with built in screen or external monitor port. Should have AES 50. Definately not IPAD based, leave this to the weekend warrior types. The X series should be pro gear, you have worked hard to win some of us over please don't spoil it with this.

Ugh.. please no. ...on several fronts.

ipad
----
Ya know, I love my ipad. It's an awesome device, and as a remote its fantastic. But integrating it into a mixer is a horrible idea for all sorts of reasons. Apple has targeted it as a personal device tied to a personal account, so its not good for sharing. Apple has a long history of changing the dimensions and connectors for all of their computers and devices every other model (and even the software interfaces). So you can guarantee that this board won't work with new iPads 2 years from now. And you've now made the core of your system something who's stability you don't control. You might as well make the x16 a PC software mixer, because you have just as much control over the OS and bugs that creep in as you would on a PC. (yes -- I've had my ipad crash due to badly written apps).

Keep your ipad interaction as a remote -- something that is not physically connected and not in the signal path. That way you can adjust to their new models with software changes... and when Apple pulls the rug out from under you, you can connect to other devices too. No way I'd pay even $500 for a board tied to a sure-to-become-obsolete physical device. It'd be like buying a board that only works with some other company's microphone or amps. Hardware lock-in is really something that should be avoided.

form factor and branding
------------------------
You're keeping a model line name. So people expect the devices to be similar -- similar user interaction and similar feature set. Anything else is confusing, not only to the buyer but also to the engineer who walks into a show hearing "oh - they've got a behringer x-something.. I've used that before and can use it to do the job". He walks in and finds a radically different device and wont' be happy.

The devices should be related. An X16 should be a smaller version of the X32. So half the input channels... maybe half the output channels (though 8 outs is a bit small... maybe 12 or leave it alone... or LCR plus 8). Maybe drop a couple of features. But otherwise it should be the same. IMHO, there's a real market for a 16-input 19" rackmount mixer that's just a scaled down version of the x32. It'd be the digital equivalent for the slot that the MixWizard or Soundcraft fx16ii fills now. Bonus if it can actually handle 32 channels via remote S16 boxes, like Soundcraft does with their si compact line.

IMHO (as your new unpaid product line designer), you want this product line to have the following:
- X32 on top
- X16 as a chopped down version of that
- V32 (Virtual 32) as a 2U rackmount version of the X32 without a physical interface (you have to use the ipad or computer remote to run it)
- V16 as a 1U chopped down version of that

oh... and maybe a X64 eventually for people who like lots of channels -- mostly the same as an X32, but can be expanded to 64x32 using additional S16 stage boxes on additional layers.

All should have the same interface and features, and all should be controllable from the same remotes. Anything that doesn't fit that general interface and remote ability should be launched as a totally separate line to keep from confusing things.

Re-thinking the virtual line a bit... it might make more sense to have:
V32 -- basically an S16 form-factor with a brain in it, and the ability hook to a second S16 to get 32-channles.
V32-remote -- a 1U box with 8x8 on the box, designed to connect to up to two S16s. The purpose would be to have something that lives at FOH or otherwise remotely from the stage, where your main inputs are from S16 boxes on the stage. The only reason for the 8x8 on it is to have playback, talkback and solo at FOH.

Both should be MIDI controllable... so you can put b-control fader packs on a desk if you want physical sliders. (though it'd be nice if you came out with a new line of USB/MIDI controllers using the new quieter motorized faders y'all built for the X32).

While not explicitly prohibited here, most forums discourage manufacturers starting threads to pimp their own products, or doing overt market research.

I do not doubt there is community interest in all the SKUs that fall out of your X32 technology platform.

Bennet and crew are good about publishing press releases submitted by manufacturers, and when this product is real, you can coordinate a hardware review in that appropriate sub-forum where a community member kicks the tires.

or not... I like the looser moderation of this forum, we are all adults here (mostly), but lets not abuse that.

JR

PS: Gearslutz forum has a dedicated sub forum for manufacturers to post about their new product offerings, maybe we could use something like that here to keep the S/N high in the user forums? Manufacturer participation should always be encouraged, with clear understanding of what is going on. The JV forum is for weekend warriors to ask questions and get advice.

PPS: I am just sharing one member's opinion (mine).

Delivery is targeted for Q2 2013 and the estimated price will be around US$ 1000.

Comments are appreciated.

Uli

Guys,

It's plain to see that this product must be well along in its development if Uli can tell us that it will be shipping in less than a year and that it will have a certain price.

There's a high probability that it's way beyond the stage of its development where they could abandon the iPad processing platform or give it a completely different mechanical form (ie., rack mounted with self contained processing), and meet the price point and delivery schedule.

I'm just sayin'...

Guys,

It's plain to see that this product must be well along in its development if Uli can tell us that it will be shipping in less than a year and that it will have a certain price.

There's a high probability that it's way beyond the stage of its development where they could abandon the iPad processing platform or give it a completely different mechanical form (ie., rack mounted with self contained processing), and meet the price point and delivery schedule.

I'm just sayin'...

In case this isn't obvious, it is good practice in business to develop a technology platform with multiple end products in mind. You don't design a single power amp, When you develop a new power amp technology you put that new technology into every SKU that makes sense. It is always easier to pull features out, than add them so the X-32 probably represents a reasonably fully loaded platform (while software features will continue to evolve).

I won't comment on timelines (been there, missed that), there is still a lot of work to finish even simple derivative products. I expect a number of different SKUs to fall out of this before the platform comes due for a refresh/upgrade sometime down the road.

JR

The X32 is doing well since it looks like an LS9/Roland/Si Compact, but 1/3 the price. The X16 looks like the Mackie, at the same price. I don't see it doing well.

I'm officially an X32 fanboy (just took delivery of two of them) but this thing does nothing for me. Put an aes50 on this and give me full access to an X32s worth of channels and outs and I'd be the first in line to get one....

that being said, I'm sure development of this thing is driving the upcoming full featured iPad app for the X32, and that makes me happy. So for that, I'm glad to see this product being developed... :)

Hmm... I guess I`m waiting for Uli to reveal that this was just joke, and the REAL X16 will be shown in that same post..

This does not look good. At least it should stay away from the X family.

My first reaction is please don't do this, don't make another Mackie rip-off, perceived or otherwise! I'm sure you can argue that it is not, but it doesn't matter, it will be perceived to be more or less that, and if nothing else, a "me too"-product.

My second reaction is that the name is wrong, this is not what the X16 looks like, this is definitely an iX16 or something, but not an X-series.

And what's up with the trim pots? Headamps not recallable?

JR,

While I don't disagree that it would be nice for the Music Group to advertise in light of the exceptional exposure their products have received here, that exposure exists only because of the enormous apparent interest of the readers and participants in this forum. Uli and crew have responded to that interest by giving us several sneak peaks of new products before official release, as well as by giving unprecedented access to high level representatives of one of (if not the) largest pro audio manufacturers in the world. It is plain that Uli personally reads and responds to the X32 thread, and I am sure he will do the same here. That is a pretty large risk and commitment for a man and a company that has no need to do so, the X32 would clearly be successful whether or not they were so generous to our community here. I see no foul here, and in fact I see something that is of great benefit to this bulletin board.

This whole site exists only to serve the interests of its contributors. I think that the level of interest in anything Uli Behringer or one of his representatives has to say has been pretty clearly expressed. I have no desire to create additional forums as long as these threads are infrequent, and they are. The threads themselves may be very long, but that does not seem to be a barrier to anyone. Neither Uli nor his representatives have disguised their affiliations, nor have they been assholes, so they are not violating either of our written rules regarding content and manufacturer participation.

I feel this thread to be appropriate in every way. If you or any member of the community would like to discuss it further I am not hard to get in touch with, and it is easy to start a thread in the basement or tech support forums as well.

While not explicitly prohibited here, most forums discourage manufacturers starting threads to pimp their own products, or doing overt market research.

I do not doubt there is community interest in all the SKUs that fall out of your X32 technology platform.

Bennet and crew are good about publishing press releases submitted by manufacturers, and when this product is real, you can coordinate a hardware review in that appropriate sub-forum where a community member kicks the tires.

or not... I like the looser moderation of this forum, we are all adults here (mostly), but lets not abuse that.

JR

PS: Gearslutz forum has a dedicated sub forum for manufacturers to post about their new product offerings, maybe we could use something like that here to keep the S/N high in the user forums? Manufacturer participation should always be encouraged, with clear understanding of what is going on. The JV forum is for weekend warriors to ask questions and get advice.

PPS: I am just sharing one member's opinion (mine).

I am sure this is a great toy but not anything that anyone serious about their business would need.
This is more for a band to cheap to hire a sound guy mixing on stage

PLEASE. Do not go down the ipad route with this. I was very much hoping for an 01v96 type rack mount version of the x32
Just add another layer button, give us 17 faders (16) inputs, one master. An input / output layer / aux and usb layer
Same screen, just cut down the x32 and rack mount it PLEASE....

Also where is the digital snake connection to be used with the x32 and s16 heads. Again please dont make a seperate piece of gear that doesnt integrate with the WHOLE family. I think others might agree its not just about price anymore, id easily pay another $500 to get a cut down version of x32.

And add at least 4 more outs

I have to agree with the others, I am not fond of iPad based. I was really hoping for a rack mounted version of the X32 to compete with the likes of the Mixwizard, etc. Seems like it would be more cost effective production wise to simply make a smaller chassis and use many if not most of the same parts you use in the X32.

Sorry I bu I dont like it already.

I'm holding out for an IDR style 16x8 head with a real rack sized 16 channel controller. Just pull the brains and pres from the X32 into a rack unit and make a separate 16 channel control unit that could be used FOH or on stage. The form factor of a rack mount mixer is really appealing and having the brains racked on stage makes things more convenient. IPAD control has no interest for me but an expanded BCF200 with a screen and wireless would be really cool. Behringer has all the parts, it just has to be assembled.