X32 Application Specific Notes and Problems

Re: Dual X32 setup

I think you want to run 2 lines cat 5 to allow for redundancy

From what I've read on this, you only need a single cat 5. However, having a spare ready to rock in case of failure of the first cable isn't a bad idea. I'd also have the show saved on USB so that in the event of main console failure, you could easily move the show directly to the other console.

This is probably the single most exciting feature I have seen about this console, as I regularly run a monitor/mains setup. This greatly reduces my hardware needs and gives redundancy of an item that rarely is available in smaller shows.

Yes. Dual cAt 5 for sure. Again, does it automatically switch to port B in case of error detected on Port A.

Also, my original query. How do I get my main mix from the FOH to local out 14-16 on the Monitor console ?

Tx a ton!
Sidhu

Yes. Dual cAt 5 for sure. Again, does it automatically switch to port B in case of error detected on Port A.

Also, my original query. How do I get my main mix from the FOH to local out 14-16 on the Monitor console ?

Tx a ton!
Sidhu

Hi Nitin,

because I don't own two consoles, i tried to simulate two consoles by using the two AES50 ports of one console.
Here is what worked:
FOH console
( analog out tab ) Main Out must be routed through Analog Out 1/2
( AES50 tab A or B ) Select for AES50 output 1-8 Out 1-8

Mon console
( home tab ) for Aux In 1-4 select AES50 1-4 ( same port as FOH console AES50 out )
( Channel config ) for Aux 1/2 source select A01/02
( analog out tab ) for Out 15/16 choose Direct Out Aux 1/2 ( preferable Pre EQ )

The remaining two Aux Ins can be used for sending Frontfills or Sub Signal

This way you will loose Aux 1-4 on the Mon console for local input

Hope this helps

Uwe

Last edited:

Please help with potential setup scenarios.

All local connections to MOH console.
Routing on MOH console on aes50A tab goes from Local1-32 over the first four columns.
Routing on the FOH console on Home tab goes from AES50A 1-32 over the first three columns.

How do I route the LCR mix done on the FOH console to Local out 14-16 on the MOH console ?

Tx a ton!
Sidhu

Hello again - There is a guy on youtube that did this, and explains what needs to be done as far as routing your FOH outputs. just search behringer X32 on youtube, and there is a butt load of videos already on there, that will answer 99% of your questions... Joe will be happy to answer the other 1%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOQ7SwcC1tE&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited:
CAT5 snake cable - X32 related

So all this talk about the X32,and not much traffic about plugging it in (MON to FOH)... Again I apologize, it's probably on this forum somewhere from the previous CAT5 snake offerings, but can somebody point me in the direction of a good flexible, tactical cat 5 cable for production use. Is there a preferred brand ( belden, gepco) and model number and or vendor that people are using, that they would recommend. I'd also take as many packaging ideas as anyone cares to offer. Snakes on reels, 2 cat 5 on the same reel taped, whole assys? etc...
I was hoping to run 3, cat 5 runs. a Main run, redundantcy run and a DMX run ( I recently purchased the CBI cat 5 to 4 x dmx adapters) Should I put them on seperate reels?, mass them together on one reel etc....
Ideas welcome

Re: CAT5 snake cable - X32 related

Gepco International, Press Release, New Product - Gepco® International Launches RunONE™ Powered Speaker Cables at AES 2011

I just bought 250' of this. I received the model with 2 Cat6, 2 110ohm dmx/aes, and 1 14/3 power in one cable. It's very flexible and easy to use.

Whirlwind also offers something like it without the 14/3 power.

Or you can just get the Gepco 4 channel CAT5e snake they offer.

Gepco International, Inc. -- Audio and Video Cable Products --

Re: CAT5 snake cable - X32 related

I use the Proplex stuff:

http://www.tmb.com/Pdf/ProPlexCAT5e-LTR-web.pdf

specifically the PCCAT5EP which is shielded and stranded.

They will make it with Ethercon or several other types of rugged connectors.

I've been happy with the cable performance so far. The jacket is pretty high friction when new so it sticks to itself a little. That's been less of an issue after a few gigs with usual dirt and grime contact.

I have two pieces - a 200' on a Hannay reel and a 100' piece I over-under. Mike Pyle hooked me up.

Hi guys,

today I tried to set up two X32 for tomorrows job.
The idea was to use one X32 on stage as replacement for the long awaited S16, because the community centers analog snake only has 24 Inputs and 6 returns, but I need 29 Inputs from stage and 8 returns ( FOH mix and 6 Mon mixes ).

So we connected both consoles via AES50 port A, set them to the same sample rate, the onstage console as clock master.
Then did routing like described above ( btw as soon as one selects AES50a 1-4 for the Aux Ins, the individual Aux channel patches are already fine ).

Set Xcontrol via WLAN for controlling the head amps of the onstage console, worked like a charm,
FOH mix return worked too, but then the house guy asked: what about the monitor mixes ? 8O~8-O~:shock:

And here comes the problem:
I cant get more than 4 returns coming out of the onstage consoles Analog Outs without loosing 8 Mic Inputs on this desk, so if I want to have 8 returns, I can only have 24 Mic Inputs.

End of story, I will bring an additional analog snake,
but it was fun to try out

Uwe

Set Xcontrol via WLAN for controlling the head amps of the onstage console, worked like a charm
but then the house guy asked: what about the monitor mixes ? 8O~8-O~:shock:

Uwe

You had a couple answers in your question....
A) use the house guy to mix mons from the on stage desk, OR
B) drive the mons from the onstage desk using your WIFI connection.

The house guy is the lighting guy, he has better things to do :lol:
and driving monitors with Xcontrol is a nice idea but maybe a little bit clumsy.
I like the desk, because I am very fast on this UI and I am one of these strange guys, who wants to have the same channel EQ applied to the house and the monitors ( exceptions state the rule )

Uwe

Last edited:

The idea was to use one X32 on stage as replacement for the long awaited S16, because the community centers analog snake only has 24 Inputs and 6 returns, but I need 29 Inputs from stage and 8 returns ( FOH mix and 6 Mon mixes ).
<snip>
And here comes the problem:
I cant get more than 4 returns coming out of the onstage consoles Analog Outs without loosing 8 Mic Inputs on this desk, so if I want to have 8 returns, I can only have 24 Mic Inputs.

Why don't you run the monitor returns thru' the analog snake that is already there?

Re: X32 LittleLites Source

I finaly found a really nice solution to my mixerlight issue. Found this lamp cheap nearby. Going to make it a 4 pin XLR lamp tomorow and will post pictures :)

423220.jpg

Re: X32 LittleLites Source

Holy Crap!! And now you mix with welding goggles on to cut down the glare? 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I'm surprised no one has come up yet with something along this (coverage pattern) idea:

NimLightRod004.jpg

:)~:)~:smile:

X32 thin sound??

Hallo guys,

I posted this question in the x32 discussion, but there are so many questions end answers that I think two people read this and answered it.

A lot of you already are werking with the x32. I'm thinking about buying the x32. Next saturday I will test the x32 on our band repetition.

In the Netherlands I'm also following discussions about the x32. One of the things a couple of guys say is the following:
when you have a almost full board the x32 will sound thinner than when you only use one or two channels. What's youre experience with that? I would like to know if this is true or just behringer-bashing.

Greetings

Re: X32 thin sound??

Hi,

I'm also following the thread in J&H forums.... And if all people that know nothing about DSP programming or programming in general would stop making idiot remarks, the world and forums should be a lot "cleaner" and more usefull.

Digital & DSP mising is about adding 0's and 1's to mathematical registers. And as long as you have enough 0's and 1's available in your floating point registers you can mix. If you are running out of floating point precision, than you have a problem. So gaining on a digital console is very important. That is one of the major problems with BE's that are used to work with analog gear. Most of them used to run every channel over the +0db level. Some of them like this (eg. XL4 mic pre "overdrive" give a special sound). But this does not work in the digital domain. On older desks that were using integer precision, this is even a bigger issue.

The most important things that alter sound are the A/D & D/A convertors and the algorithm using for EQ-ing, Compression and FX. Not the amount of channels you are running. In fact a DSP run most of the time all the channels even if you do use them.
The the claim they are making in that forum is total BS.

Some people are becoming very fustrated about the fact that they invested a lot in a large digital desk but can't rent it out anymore for smaller jobs. Put you in place of a client. What would you like to pay ?

Hallo guys,

I posted this question in the x32 discussion, but there are so many questions end answers that I think two people read this and answered it.

A lot of you already are werking with the x32. I'm thinking about buying the x32. Next saturday I will test the x32 on our band repetition.

In the Netherlands I'm also following discussions about the x32. One of the things a couple of guys say is the following:
when you have a almost full board the x32 will sound thinner than when you only use one or two channels. What's youre experience with that? I would like to know if this is true or just behringer-bashing.

Greetings