X32 Rack as dedicated monitor mixer: maximum number of stereo feeds

Steve Maksim

Freshman
Jul 28, 2012
I'm looking at setting up an X32 Rack as a dedicated monitor mixer.

With the smartphone app musicians can mix their own IEMs for 8 stereo-linked buses, and the L/R bus can potentially be used for a ninth stereo mix.

But then looking at I/O it seems like I can only get to 7 stereo mixes out: 4 stereo mixes across the 8 XLRs and another 3 across the 6 1/4".

--Can the 1/4" "Monitor Outs" be set up as an assigned output for a mixbus to get to an eighth mix?
--Is there something clever that I'm overlooking?
--Do I just need to get an SD8 for more outputs?

I'm looking at setting up an X32 Rack as a dedicated monitor mixer.

--Can the 1/4" "Monitor Outs" be set up as an assigned output for a mixbus to get to an eighth mix?

Yes....just tried this...works!
Set Monitor Source to Aux 7/8.
Set Aux 7/8 Source on Home-Config tab to Mix Buss 15/16 (Aux 7/8 source is normally USB L/R)

All buses are mono, but can be paired for stereo. You can only have 4 stereo from buses, plus L/R.

I haven't tried to verify 8 pairs of linked buses by checking final outputs, but the link indicators appear to say you can link all 16 buses into 8 pairs.
Is there a limitation of 4 pair, plus LR, that the link indicators overlook?

I haven't tried to verify 8 pairs of linked buses by checking final outputs, but the link indicators appear to say you can link all 16 buses into 8 pairs.
Is there a limitation of 4 pair, plus LR, that the link indicators overlook?

It looks like it works. I just tried linking the 16 Mix bus-s into 8 stereo pairs in X32edit and it let me but I don't have an X32 to test it on.