x32 studio Users

Re: X32 track by track recording

All Behringer needs to do is fix the noise on the monitor outputs, but why bother, the board only cost $3k. Sounds reasonable:roll:.

Read James Drake's post, which I quoted and will quote again... there is more than the noise issue (which I agree should be fixed).
I would love X32 to work in the studio but my concerns at the moment are about the reports of noise on the outputs, lack of digital I/O or any sync options, and lack of delay compensation.

I/o, sync and delay compensation are specific features that move a user out of the X32 level.

How about they just start shipping Midas Pro6 for $3,000?

it is actually not Re: X32 track by track recording anymore....but another issue ;-)

Has anybody checked, how many consoles have a noise issue on the monitor outputs? Mine does not have any noise there...only, when I want it to be noisy with something ;-).
Anyhow, being on several forums, I am afraid that sometimes problems are a bit blown up. I mean, if there is a problem on a new console, it surely should be fixed by Behringer, and I have the impression they are very willing to do so. On the other hand there of course is no forum contribution from others only to tell that there is no noise or other problem on their console.
Complaints with a reason should be taken seriously, but one should not conclude from many forum contributions by a few people about one problem, that there is a massive problem with monitor out noise.
After having gone through several forums from the very first post to the current one, I could recall any problem (except for the wrongly routed cables inside) which has been a principle problem with the console. I finally decided and had one sent from Germany to Vietnam, together with a case and an S16...and I am perfectly happy with it. It will not see a lot of live usage, but quite a bit of studio ... the only problem I have is to come to grips with the relative complexity in comparison to my old Yamaha MG16 mixer and the two Phonic FireFly's I have been using....everything else is fine. I took a risk, because I am not aware of any service center in this part of the world. So far I am fine ;-)
Don't get afraid of buying this mixer only because of a number of posts....check, how many people really HAVE that problem...then decide!

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

Midas consoles are actually less suited to recording, you're locked at 96k and have to build a computer with the lynx cards.

Dear All,

For the record, out of 30,000+ consoles built, very few were affected by an audible noise issue surrounding the monitor outputs and channels 16 and 32. The root of this issue was amended early on in the manufacturing process by means of a simple cable reroute, which can and has been rectified by our Authorized Service Centers as and when these consoles surface.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:

Mine had the noise. According to Joe Sanborn and the guys at the tech center, about 500 consoles made it out before they caught the cable routing problem. Sent the console to Behringer at their expense, back to me within 10 days. All is well.

I felt the board was clunky, non-intuitave and much inferior to my 02R and MOTU intercfaces in sound and feature until I forced myself to use it more in the studio environment. Now I find I like it more and more every day and will say in all areas it is at least the equal to the Yamaha and in many areas it blows the 02R away.

Mine had the noise. According to Joe Sanborn and the guys at the tech center, about 500 consoles made it out before they caught the cable routing problem. Sent the console to Behringer at their expense, back to me within 10 days. All is well.

I felt the board was clunky, non-intuitave and much inferior to my 02R and MOTU intercfaces in sound and feature until I forced myself to use it more in the studio environment. Now I find I like it more and more every day and will say in all areas it is at least the equal to the Yamaha and in many areas it blows the 02R away.

I agree. I have a friend with an old Mackie 24x8 with old MOTU interfaces. I went to his home studio last week and he was shocked what replacing his whole rig with an X 32 could accomplish. I owned an O2R for years and it was great for the time. But with extra digital interface cards and the regular replacing of certain moving parts, I can recommend the X32 wholeheartedly.

Hi
I think this thread creation was a great idea .
There needs to be more educational support for the use of the x32 in the recording studio. THe X32 has great potential ,in this area
however it seems to be taking a second seat to the live sound market. I have found that in the last 10 years with the decline of the large multi million
dollar studios along with the huge growth of the cottage industry of home and project studios this product could fill a huge void. Over the years I have tried many systems to get an affordable but high quality option to both mix in and out of the box. Some of the older All in one units such as the AKAI DPS 24 were on the right track but they had no support. Then those units and the likes disappeared seemingly over night.The traditional large format analog mixer is either too expensive for most or overkill. Not to mention the extra digital conversion needed. The current line of affordable control surfaces are not bad but still one needs enough analog i/o and digital conversion for large off the floor recordings. Some of the boxes such as the RME UFX , UAD Apollo are great for people who don't need large numbers of analog inputs but still these themselves have no hands on tactile surface . More expensive digital mixers can be expanded .however most start at the $10,000 price point and come with only 24 pre amps standard at the most. other digital boards in the X32 price range do not have as many features, quality of pre amps, effects or motorized faders. In summery the X32 to me fills a void that does not exist at a price point up to 4 times as much.
Cons:
There has not been enough educational webnars focusing totally on the studio environment and integration with the current generation of DaW software for Mac and PC. Daws such as Cubase 7, Protools 10, Sonar X2 have not been properly web nared with the X32. All have different set ups and webnars based on using these with the x32 can only help future sales of the X32 for these DAW users. Phone support has be great but they do not know enough about the software DAWS to give the needed support.Would also like to suggest to Mr. Berhinger the That there needs to be a manual with detailed information designed for using the X32 in the studio.
Why do they not capitalize on such an enormous potential market for this product?

Questions:
Has anyone had difficulty with solo, select, mute buttons sticking in the down position because the get caught under the lip of the button hole? I have had to use a small screwdriver at ti mes to push these buttons to the side to allow them to come back up..

Is anyone using this with Cubase 7 on a PC .
I want to use a 32 x 32 set up and have a stereo mix for the control room. Wondering about options.

In Pro tools 10 on the PC I find the HUI protocol causes crazy fader movement all by it self for no reason.
I also would love to ask if any one knows or has a diagram of what the best routing for this software would be in a 32x 32 format for tracking and mixdown.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Cheers
Barry

Dear all,

thank you for the great comments.

Studio users are extremely important to us and we have been carefully watching this space. The X32 Producer has been specifically designed to address the needs of the Studio user community.

While we have hosted multiple webinars and published videos about the integration of DAW's such as Reaper, Protools etc. with the X32, we have incredible news coming for you.

Please check in a few days when the Frankfurt PL&S show opens. You will be very pleased.

Warm regards

Uli

Last edited:

No offence but 3K is a lot of money for people who are getting $30 -$50 or less per hour in a studio that is not booked 7 days a week round the clock.The technology used in the converters, pres , and computer interfaces of the day have reached a point where there are very small differences in price verses quality. In many cases it comes down to personal taste for the sound. I agree with you some features are too expensive to include on a $3000 board , but one expects and can get a low noise floor for very little these days. In a mass production environment such as the one that exists at Berhinger it makes much more economic sense to improve on, and then protect the brand name by offering a lot of quality features for less money. All the while they still make a wonderful profit by selling many more units at slightly less of a profit margin. Berhinger has much to prove with this product and it's success can only help increase sales of their other products . In this age of fewer dollars and greater numbers of choices ,protecting the Brand is the most important goal of any company. I happen to love this board. I have used and owned i/o from RME, SSL, and find that in the mix differences are hard to detect. If 99 % of my listeners cannot hear a difference then that is good enough for me . People listen with Ipads using MP3s. where is the weakest link? :D~:-D~:grin:

Glad to participation, in this thread picking up.
It was a little slow at first, I was beginning to think there was not many studio users.
As to sticky mute and solo buttons that Barry mentions,
I myself have not had the problem
Can't wait yo see what Uli got up his sleeve for Frankfurt.
Anyone care to speculate?

It was a little slow at first, I was beginning to think there was not many studio users.
My guess would be either the mooted usb hard disk recorder but if this is only 24 tracks I would probably stick with the existing interface....or I seem to recall Uli mentioned they were thinking about developing a DAW!
What I would like to see is some form of dynamic automation to be able to mix OTB using the X32 processing a nd effects
if this were included in their own DAW (or HD recorder) that would be good

maybe behringer bought bitwig :)

or formed a partnership with presonus :))

No problems here with any buttons sticking. I am not nuts about how the solo buttons work. I would prefer they solo post fader, but as it is they solo pre and I can find no way to set them otherwise. The only other real features I miss are channel select on fader move like the 02r had and I wish the actual console would change the selected channel to reflect the selected channel when done so by XControl or the iX app. The faders move when you move them in software, why not have the bank and select functions follow as well.

No problems here with any buttons sticking. I am not nuts about how the solo buttons work. I would prefer they solo post fader, but as it is they solo pre and I can find no way to set them otherwise. The only other real features I miss are channel select on fader move like the 02r had and I wish the actual console would change the selected channel to reflect the selected channel when done so by XControl or the iX app. The faders move when you move them in software, why not have the bank and select functions follow as well.

They are PFL, not Solo in Place. They behave as expected.

I keep saying this: The X32 was intended to primarily be a LIVE mixing console. If Behringer makes accommodations for the recording crowd, fine... but I think B is about to show a new product that will be aimed more squarely at the recording market.

They are PFL, not Solo in Place. They behave as expected.

I keep saying this: The X32 was intended to primarily be a LIVE mixing console. If Behringer makes accommodations for the recording crowd, fine... but I think B is about to show a new product that will be aimed more squarely at the recording market.

Right AFTER I dropped $3k on the original X32...

And yes, they behave as expected for a live board. I simply said it would be nice to have it. Af for select and layer following the software and vice/versa, that is a hoop they need to jump through.

You can select post fader solo in the Monitor section, just tick Channel Solo AFL and you're set.
Though it is not select follows fader move, maybe you also will find "select follows solo" and "solo follows select" usefull.

My guess is announcement at Frankfurt will be version 2.0 of the X32 firmware. I anticipate many tweaks that will benefit the recording crowd.
I would like to see expansion of the Mackie Control functionality to include more than 8 faders, and access to more than 1 pan control at a time.
Or a update the OSC spec similar to the x32midiosc v.02 program at the top of the thread.
If implemented properly we would gain the ability we to automate the entire board (faders, eq's, sends, etc...)

My guess is announcement at Frankfurt will be version 2.0 of the X32 firmware. I anticipate many tweaks that will benefit the recording crowd.
I would like to see expansion of the Mackie Control functionality to include more than 8 faders, and access to more than 1 pan control at a time.
Or a update the OSC spec similar to the x32midiosc v.02 program at the top of the thread.
If implemented properly we would gain the ability we to automate the entire board (faders, eq's, sends, etc...)

Oh please let it be V2 and give us a bit more flexibility and back and forth between apps and the board.