http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/rivage.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PM10_bg1.jpg
    PM10_bg1.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Re: Yamaha Rivage PM10

I remember the first time I landed the Shuttle.

What a beautiful console.

I do remember mixing on a PM1000, a 2000 (I still like it best), a 3000.

Man, you'd think I for a big product reveal like this they'd spend some time making sure the website properly renders on a mobile device (iPhone 5s ios 7.?). Guess I'll have to wait for the laptop to recharge.

It's a nice piece of hardware for sure, but I'm still unsure about the workflow. Having all of the EQ and other controls on the right side of the surface just feels a little unbalanced to me. I'd like to try one and see how it works out.
I think I'd prefer the master section in the middle, with an input bank on either side. But that seems a minor criticism really of what looks like a fantastic console. Plus that way it may be easier for two people to operate if needed.

I particularly like the look of the workflow. I'm fairly sure I could just walk up to it and start mixing. A consistent logical progression from the PM1, PM5D and CL series.

Can't wait to try one!

I particularly like the look of the workflow. I'm fairly sure I could just walk up to it and start mixing. A consistent logical progression from the PM1, PM5D and CL series.

Can't wait to try one!

If there's anything that Yamaha tends to do well it's this. Once you know how to 'think yamaha' you can basically walk up to anything made in the last 20 years and you're mixing in five minutes or less. This is VERY hard to actually get right and Yamaha deserves accolades for this alone....

Plus, now it comes with SILK. So there's that... :)

I think I'd prefer the master section in the middle, with an input bank on either side. But that seems a minor criticism really of what looks like a fantastic console. Plus that way it may be easier for two people to operate if needed.

Each screen has a touch and turn knob, so you could get pretty far with just that interface.

Perhaps the TWINLANe transport is 10Gbase-SR because they say they use multi-mode fiber and that's good for up to 300m. Probably can't use 10GBase-T because of latency issues on copper, and that would only be 100m anyway. If this is 10GbE they have to implement routing protocols because there are multiple paths (the 'ring'). In this case probably only one path between nodes is active until there is a failure. Or they could be doing something really 'ring' like where packets circulate both ways all the time.

How do you know it's not just fibre transport for Dante with a fancy name?
  • It is a ring system, not dual star
  • Fixed latency (11/12 samples)
  • They call it "a proprietary Yamaha network protocol"
  • No Dante logos on the card
  • No mention of the possibility to extend the system via standard network hardware etc
  • Only support of a fixed number of units on a ring

I wonder if the system will work Dante-only, without the fibre?
Looks like a new card format for the HY series...

Our Yamaha rep said that there weren't any plans for head amp control of Rio racks, at least not yet.
I really hope we're not on our way to another incompatible product from Yamaha... (anyone remember mLAN and Ethersound?)

I talked to my Yamaha rep today. He said that he still wasn't clear on the interoperability of Dante and TWINLan, but that they had to move to the new network in order to support the channel counts that they wanted. He said that TWINLan will run all 400 channels at 96k.

Oh yeah...he also said that the preliminary pricing that they have been given is about $200,000 for the 96 channel version. He didn't expect to see any demo units before Q2 2015 and that it would be fall before they were available for sale in the U.S.