Anyone know of a "Returns" snake for powered monitors/mains?

Rob Bernstein

Freshman
Oct 23, 2013
Framingham, MA
Now that I am almost 100% powered speakers for FOH and monitors (not for subs yet), I'm trying to cut down on the number/length of XLR cables running from my Mini Stagebox to the stage.
I'm using short snake boxes (25-30 feet) and only have 4 returns. Fine for the monitors at the front of the stage but I still have to run long XLR cables to the mains (JBL PRX712's).
I've been looking to see if anyone offers a "reverse" snake, meaning male XLR on the box and female XLR to connect to the console or Stagebox.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Anyone know of a "Returns" snake for powered monitors/mains?

Now that I am almost 100% powered speakers for FOH and monitors (not for subs yet), I'm trying to cut down on the number/length of XLR cables running from my Mini Stagebox to the stage.
I'm using short snake boxes (25-30 feet) and only have 4 returns. Fine for the monitors at the front of the stage but I still have to run long XLR cables to the mains (JBL PRX712's).
I've been looking to see if anyone offers a "reverse" snake, meaning male XLR on the box and female XLR to connect to the console or Stagebox.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Rapco, CBI, Whirlwind... anyone who does 'custom' work can build a return or 'drive' snake for you. Pick a length and number of channels, and make a couple of phone calls as these aren't usually listed items, but I can guarantee they exist.

Fan to fan snakes are common, and would work for your application.

A "reverse" snake is possible, but I've never seen one, and I'm sure it would have to be custom made. Or you could modify a "regular" snake and put different ends on.

What about hybrid cable with power and audio built in? I have a bunch of cable with 1 power and 2 audio lines inside, and it's awesome. Not the cheapest thing in the world though.

You could also just buy fan to fan snakes the length you need, and bundle power cable onto it.

Here are some examples of fan to fan snakes:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Patch_snakes/MTFM/MTFM_snakes.shtml

Rapco, CBI, Whirlwind... anyone who does 'custom' work can build a return or 'drive' snake for you. Pick a length and number of channels, and make a couple of phone calls as these aren't usually listed items, but I can guarantee they exist.

Thanks, not seeing anything listed so i will make a few calls.

Fan to fan snakes are common, and would work for your application.

A "reverse" snake is possible, but I've never seen one, and I'm sure it would have to be custom made. Or you could modify a "regular" snake and put different ends on.

What about hybrid cable with power and audio built in? I have a bunch of cable with 1 power and 2 audio lines inside, and it's awesome. Not the cheapest thing in the world though.

You could also just buy fan to fan snakes the length you need, and bundle power cable onto it.

Here are some examples of fan to fan snakes:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Patch_snakes/MTFM/MTFM_snakes.shtml

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing as far as keeping cost down. Not as elegant as a box but would get the job done.

I've got an EWI 150' 8 channel fan to fan drive snake I'm no longer using. Only really used it for a long 8 channel snake for video shoots.

Make me a decent offer and it's yours...

I've got an EWI 150' 8 channel fan to fan drive snake I'm no longer using. Only really used it for a long 8 channel snake for video shoots.

Make me a decent offer and it's yours...

Thanks, unfortunately that is about 120' more than I need.
Going to go with a 30' 8-channel XLR-XLR from Audiopile. Under $100, which is perfect.

Agreed. When I was in the install business I don't think I ever used a "catalog" snake. They were all custom.

It is no big deal to get what you want-and it doesn't usually cost much (if any) more.

All you have to do is ask.

The only thing is that it will not be a stock item-so you might have to wait a little while for it.

I always bought cable, heat shrink, A3Ms, A3Fs, multi's, punched my own stage boxes and made my own drop, splitters, and output snakes. It is fun, much less expensive, and it will be just what you want. It will be better that some of those lesser expensive snakes out there that forget to use any strain relief in the connectors.

I always bought cable, heat shrink, A3Ms, A3Fs, multi's, punched my own stage boxes and made my own drop, splitters, and output snakes. It is fun, much less expensive, and it will be just what you want. It will be better that some of those lesser expensive snakes out there that forget to use any strain relief in the connectors.

Glenn, you are way more ambitious than I am!
I'm too lazy at this point in my life to take that project on.

Rob,

Just FYI , it really doesn't need to be reverse sex as most powdered speakers I run into have both male and female XLRs on them them and they are paralleled so it doesn't matter which one you use. Just run an additional snake to your downstage edge for vocals and whatever else happens there and reverse your FOH end this way it can be multipurpose, ins or outs.

Chris

Rob,

Just FYI , it really doesn't need to be reverse sex as most powdered speakers I run into have both male and female XLRs on them them and they are paralleled so it doesn't matter which one you use. Just run an additional snake to your downstage edge for vocals and whatever else happens there and reverse your FOH end this way it can be multipurpose, ins or outs.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I never thought of that. I've been so focused on the Male XLR to the speaker that I didn't even consider that the speakers have multiple inputs.

Since you only seem to need 2 additional channels for your returns to the mains, if you have 2 unused channels in your snake you can just use gender-changing adapters as mentioned above. I like M-M and F-F XLR turnaround cables better than the adapters as they put less strain on the XLR sockets in the mixer and snake box / speaker.

These EWI cables have served me well:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/M..._CABLES/SLMA_TURNAROUND_CABLES_cutsheet.shtml

Glenn, what did you do for your boxes themselves? Ive been wanting to look into building my own.
Evan, Rapco sells punched boxes, Kellums grips, heat shrink kits, etc. Call your dealer or Rapco.

I bet other manufacturers do the same. These are aimed at installers who have to run the cable and later add the termination.

Rob,

Chris

I don't trust that concept after finding out the Mackie SRM350's don't do that. You have to use the input for your signal, the thru only sends audio out. won't take any audio in. Like you said Most don't have an issue but there are a few, and they bite you at the worst time. :p