article about roadies

Re: article about roadies

That was interesting. I couldn't help help but think of Del Preston when reading the part about Glen Rowe's training course at Cato, though.

THe only thing I had an issue with is that I "assume" most "roadies" don't make anywhere nearly as much as what is quoted.

I could be wrong.

I dunno... I make somewhere 2k a year, working about 30 days for pay yearly. If I actually charged for all the hours I end up volunteering with my high school and local community theaters I'd end up around 14k. I only spend about 3 months of my time working on that stuff, leaving me the rest of the year for school work and other teenagery things (wastes of time, I assure you). Assuming I did it year round, that puts me in the vicinity of 40k. Most of this work is grunt work, and pays on the lower end of the industry spectrum.

Two years ago there was a Q&A session at summer camp and pay came up. The particular group worked year round, on the road between 200 and 300 days a year, and all made upwards of 70k. They all work with the same production company most of the time. The highest pay in that group was 145k yearly, and yes, she was the one working the most days yearly.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, maybe not - I don't know. I kinda have to be, right?

THe only thing I had an issue with is that I "assume" most "roadies" don't make anywhere nearly as much as what is quoted.

I could be wrong.

The article did say that it was not including the freelancers out there. I'm sure that they could only track down pay info on the big budget tours. They are the ones with a tax-paper trail! lol

I work maybe 200 days a year as a lowly house tech, between the 3 income sources I make an average of 30k a year, that's zero full time, and zero benefits but for a pusher that's good money

Sent from my XT1060

I could be wrong.

I would guess there is a huge difference in the pay of roadies. Working for a small regional band isn't going to pay nearly what working for a large national act would, even though the job duties would be similar. And on the bottom end of the scale would be the roadies that work on call, part time. It all depends on how replaceable you are. At the low end, all they are looking for is someone to show up and have basic skills (if even that). At they high end, you're the one that KNOWS the entertainer and keeps them happy.

The question of pay and 'roadies' is kinda a loaded question. The immediate question it brings up is 'what is a roadie?'

I do like that the article states that that is no longer the preferred title for those working at the higher end of the scale. And for good reason. When i think 'roadie' i think box pusher or feeder runner. i don't think System Tech flying the PA or FOH/Monitor guy.

Ultimately, it matters a great deal what end of the market you are working. In the lower end of the market there are an infinite supply of Neck Down workers willing to work for nearly nothing just to 'be in showbiz'. At the higher end of the scale there are a relatively small number of Seasoned Professionals that can command a very good salary because they have a proven track record to deliver a great show every night without drama or incident. The path from the former to the latter is usually one of many years of Very Hard Work along with significant natural talent including good ears/engineering ability and great people skills. It helps to have some lucky breaks along the way.

I for one got out of the 'roadie' biz a long time ago. That is, i stopped working entertainment shows where there were lots of people competing for a fairly small number of positions and moved into corporate work which is unsexy and often boring but pays Very Well. I now make a Very Good living as a freelancer doing largely corporate broadcast work. No, my name doesn't make the trades. But i pay the bills, live in a nice house, have insurance and an IRA, and only work about 100 days a year.

I have thought about occasionally going out and doing a rock show here and there for fun. But i know i'd be taking a job from someone that probably needs it more than me, so i haven't done that. yet.

Bottom line, there are a number of ways to make a living in this business. I had fun doing entertainment and i recommend it to the younger guys coming up as it's a great training ground. But i wouldn't go back to it, even if the money was good. The work is grueling and at 50 i'm not sure my body is up to it anymore. I also like staying married....

I know guys on Broadway tours that are making over $100 grand per year.

Really, in theatre, if you want to make good money, you go on the road and work your way up to bigger tours that pay $1,500 to $2,000 per week. Then you can retire at a big production show like Cirque in Las Vegas.

I'm a roadie. Please don't call me a "concert technician", sounds like a title for a person who's hands want to stay clean. The salaries are not too far out of line, but do vary, and it depends on how much you work. If you've been lucky to have linked up with a good band, you'll work often, and make between $1300-$2000 a week depending on your skill level and job. So the key is to stay working.

For music tours, the numbers mentioned here are a little low. The crew on a bus and trailer tour playing PAC's at decent ticket prices are making $2000-$5000 a week. Also, if you are TM or PM you get an extra week of pay per tour leg for handling the advance work. There are probably assistants and entry level folks doing merch or things like that making less, but for experienced techs, those are the rates I am seeing.

If you TM/FOH a one bus tour you might make on average $3000/wk. Some you might do because you like the act or it's easy for $300/day, others can fetch $600/day. This is not for young rock bands selling those tickets at $10.

The question of pay and 'roadies' is kinda a loaded question. The immediate question it brings up is 'what is a roadie?'

I do like that the article states that that is no longer the preferred title for those working at the higher end of the scale. And for good reason. When i think 'roadie' i think box pusher or feeder runner. i don't think System Tech flying the PA or FOH/Monitor guy.

The road guys are roadies and the so called box pushers are stage hands. Box pushers are not on the road.

The road guys are roadies and the so called box pushers are stage hands. Box pushers are not on the road.

We usually just call them "backs".

If you address them as just "hey you!" then they are stage hands and not roadies. If you shake hands with them and ask their names and then address them by their name then chances are they are a roadie.