Avid S3L

Re: Avid S3L

That whole package looks like shit. It looks like one of their crappy Artists control surfaces...or like an ETC Expression lighting console from 15 years ago.

And isn't the $18-$25k price tag right in line with he SC48 pricing? $18,000 is about 6 times too much for a system with only 16 inputs and 8 outputs.

That whole package looks like shit. It looks like one of their crappy Artists control surfaces...or like an ETC Expression lighting console from 15 years ago.

And isn't the $18-$25k price tag right in line with he SC48 pricing? $18,000 is about 6 times too much for a system with only 16 inputs and 8 outputs.

If you actually read the info it plainly shows that it does more than the SC48 can do in every way. More auxes, more inputs, double the plugins, etc. I'm not a big Avid fan but at least I can read.

The highlights I got were 64 full mix inputs (vs 48 on the SC48), 24 auxes (vs 16 on the SC48), 40 plugins (vs 20 on the SC48)...and it's modular so you don't have to buy more system than you need.

I do agree that it looks ridiculous, but I guess we have to be open to new things as digital consoles advance. I'm pretty happy that this uses AVB, first product I've seen that is really designed around it.

I'm not sure about the "more auxes" thing - spec sheet says 24 aux busses... but no groups? That could describe the standard Variable Groups configuration of the existing systems. Putting parametric EQ and dynamics on the outputs is nice to finally have, though.

Both this and the SC48 are out of my league price-wise, but if I were purchasing, the S3L would win my money - even at the same price - the digital snake and small surface are at the top of my list for requirements as a portable guy trying to cram as big a show as possible in a cargo van.

If you actually read the info it plainly shows that it does more than the SC48 can do in every way. More auxes, more inputs, double the plugins, etc. I'm not a big Avid fan but at least I can read.

The highlights I got were 64 full mix inputs (vs 48 on the SC48), 24 auxes (vs 16 on the SC48), 40 plugins (vs 20 on the SC48)...and it's modular so you don't have to buy more system than you need.

I do agree that it looks ridiculous, but I guess we have to be open to new things as digital consoles advance. I'm pretty happy that this uses AVB, first product I've seen that is really designed around it.

Not to be too nitpicky, but with Venue 3.0 software you get 40 plug ins on an SC48.

There is no mention of multiple surfaces sharing inputs, but I imagine that is part of the deal as well.

Just want to point a couple things out for anyone with an itchy purchase finger...

1. This is a completely different plug-in architecture..... meaning you will at best have different installers for the S3L than other AVID desks and at worst not have your favorite plugins available in the near term or ever (Waves Live Bundle). This will also impact how your show files translate...

2. I would guess there are direct replacements for the Profile and the D-Show coming down the pipeline.... maybe even just FOH & STAGE rack updates.... we will see.

I do agree that it looks ridiculous.

Me too. I appreciate the power this system will have, and do enjoy mixing on the Avid desks, but it looks like a cheap lighting desk.

This opinion isn't popular with everyone, but I want to stand in front of a piece of gear that people look at and say "wow" about, and would be tolerant of a bit of extra cost for extra "wow factor". How about a hologram console that looks like whatever you want? Sure, I'll take the XL4 emulation, thanks. Easy on the "compensating for something" jokes there Tim!:lol:

Interesting. Yes it looks strange, but really, who cares? It's about time manufactures experimented a bit now that we're no longer constrained by layouts/size from the analogue era.

I look forward to having a play with one at any rate...

Jands Stage CL anyone? Dedicated rotaries for EQ, comp, gate, etc?

I like the Avid software, it's straight forward; however the physical surface just doesn't do it for me. Certinaly nowhere near a Pro2c.

Tim, you know the answer to that question. That's like asking if I can use my MBox with the new version of Protools (you know the one that lets you use any interface you want with Protools--except for ones made by Avid).

In fairness, at least this is a completely different infrastructure and not only forced obsolescence.

I could see using this for workshops and staged readings in NYC. I just completed a staged reading that had to be a Profile because the input count was too high for a SC48 system. The smaller surface would have been really nice for that particular application.

Interesting. Yes it looks strange, but really, who cares? It's about time manufactures experimented a bit now that we're no longer constrained by layouts/size from the analogue era.
I agree but on the other hand there may be aspects of analog console user interfaces that developed the way they did for a reason and sometimes there seems to be too much emphasis on being different whether or not it is actually more effective.

Someone that apparently had a chance to play with a S3L noted that they found they could configure the worksurface to work the way they wanted. That's potentially great when they are the only user but perhaps less desirable if there are multiple users including those not as familiar with that particular console or the specific configuration of it.

I agree but on the other hand there may be aspects of analog console user interfaces that developed the way they did for a reason and sometimes there seems to be too much emphasis on being different whether or not it is actually more effective.

Someone that apparently had a chance to play with a S3L noted that they found they could configure the worksurface to work the way they wanted. That's potentially great when they are the only user but perhaps less desirable if there are multiple users including those not as familiar with that particular console or the specific configuration of it.

Agreed. The whole point of a physical surface rather than just software, is to see and interact with lots of data in a short amount of time. This product, at least the physical interface aspect of it, seems to have missed the boat. If it was only processing, we'd all be using iLive iDR racks or Q-Sys or other DSP's chained together and touch screen.

Agreed. The whole point of a physical surface rather than just software, is to see and interact with lots of data in a short amount of time. This product, at least the physical interface aspect of it, seems to have missed the boat. If it was only processing, we'd all be using iLive iDR racks or Q-Sys or other DSP's chained together and touch screen.

I think you guys are missing the target market.

This, in my mind, isn't designed to compete with the Pro2c.... thats what the SC48 is for.

This seems to be for independent engineers and studios, van touring engineers, corporate shows, smaller sound companies etc who need something that takes up very little van space but can be expanded to a larger "real" system in the future.

I think we will see updates or replacements to the Profile and D-Show surfaces to compete in those markets with the HDX and AVB hardware.