Behringer WING console

Hi Christian,

nice to have you back here.
There is a lot of marketing going with the new board, but not many details.
I would love, if you could change this:

Do you like the new channel strip compared to the X32 ? Because I feel like I will miss some things like LED encoders and Bus sends on pots.

Does SoF work like X32( both directions ) ?

Is it correct that Aux channels have less processing compared to standard channels ( similar to missing comp on X32 ) ?

Can the console do bus to bus routing ( you might have seen the discussion on PSW about FX returns )

If the Gain is part of the source, is it correct, that I can set up tie lines with gain ?

Can the console do channel to matrix routing ( Yamaha style ) ?

What is the default Cue for the Solo Bus, if no Solo button is pressed, or is it possible to define that ( Back ground: there are 4 Masters )

Have fun with the new toy
Uwe

Hi Uwe,
thanks!
The new channel strip is really different. To be honest, I do the most of the "work" with the Touchscreens and Enoders. Cool thing: Touchscreen/Encoders and Channelstrip are independed. So you could work with two technicians at the same time...maybe for a first setup (festival), where you have to quick.

SoF works like on the X32 yes.
I will post a picture later of the Aux inputs. They have "only" a 4band fully parametric EQ + Filter section (Hi/Low Cut and such) and one Insert slot for the FX Rack.
Busses con only be routed into the maxtrix. Routing channels into a matrix is also not possible.
"What is the default Cue for the Solo Bus, if no Solo button is pressed, or is it possible to define that ( Back ground: there are 4 Masters )"
Good question, will have to examine that further. Right now I don't know.

Christian

Some pics:

Attachments

• 31204209-4705-4B4B-B70F-12E0E9337E92.jpeg
    31204209-4705-4B4B-B70F-12E0E9337E92.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 50
  • 6F6EBDDE-DCC4-44A6-8888-3747963C732E.jpeg
    6F6EBDDE-DCC4-44A6-8888-3747963C732E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • FD79C5ED-804A-41BD-A54A-1E6E67EBF31D.jpeg
    FD79C5ED-804A-41BD-A54A-1E6E67EBF31D.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Tim Padrick
Hi Uwe,
thanks!
The new channel strip is really different. To be honest, I do the most of the "work" with the Touchscreens and Enoders. Cool thing: Touchscreen/Encoders and Channelstrip are independed. So you could work with two technicians at the same time...maybe for a first setup (festival), where you have to be quick....

Okay, since you brought up this topic:
A second FOH operator at this price level of console screems so HOBBY to me,
Id rather have a second sound guy on stage dialing in monitor levels remotely connected to FOH, when there is not much budget available.

But anyways, can you describe, how the second operator at FOH would select a channel to dial in, because pressing Select button will bring the channel on the screen throwing off the first operator.

Another question regarding channel banks:
In default state the left bank contains 12 channels. So now I wanted to add a fader next to my snare channel, which represents a bus send from snare e.g. to Delay FX,
what happens to the other faders, will my channel 12 now be moved to bank 13-24 ?

In default state the left bank contains 12 channels. So now I wanted to add a fader next to my snare channel, which represents a bus send from snare e.g. to Delay FX,
what happens to the other faders, will my channel 12 now be moved to bank 13-24 ?
[/QUOTE]

If you want to change the source for channel 13 a bus channel, it will ease the default input of channel 13.

If you want to change the source for channel 13 a bus channel, it will ease the default input of channel 13.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for coming back, Christian.

I see that I worded my question very badly.
Lets try again:
In the promised Pro Firmware the faders can be arranged freely in any bank.
Since the faders can represent more functionality than just the send level to master/group ( the normal way ),
is it possible to have e.g. a normal snare channel and next to it a bus send from this snare to FX?

Consequence of this would be, that my bank now contains only eleven sources, because snare would take up two faders.
So in this example did I spend eleven channels or twelve on the desk?

And another question: How is the arrangement of channels done ? Drag and drop ?
If so, will this be replacement mode only or will there be also an insert mode ?

is it possible to have e.g. a normal snare channel and next to it a bus send from this snare to FX?
YES
Consequence of this would be, that my bank now contains only eleven sources, because snare would take up two faders.
Exactly
And another question: How is the arrangement of channels done ? Drag and drop ?
Yes, pretty much like on a dLive. I addition, the "old more or less fix routing" is always there too. If you routed your sources/channels/busses/whatever into nivana within the two userlayers, you can always switch between the user layers and the traditional arrangement, if things get complicated.
If so, will this be replacement mode only or will there be also an insert mode ?
Sorry, I don't get that.

Thomann is shipping the first WING batch preorders from today! Well...that is really soon and quite unexpected, because firmwarewise there are one or two things left to do imho. Let's see:)

If so, will this be replacement mode only or will there be an insert mode also
Sorry, I don´t get that

Let´s make some naming conventions ( feel free to change this ):
The console has 40 full "Processing Channels" and 8 restricted processing channels called " Auxes"

The console has faders with dedicated buttons arranged in banks, let´s call them "Fader Strips"

Replace:
You drag one Processing channel into the space holder, which represents the Fader Strip.
If there is something designated already, it will be replaced

Insert:
Inserting a channel into an existing layout, means everything to the right is moved one number up on the surface, preferable not
restricted to banks.
Example: I have an existing showfile for a band and drummer brings an extra tom, I plug it into the next free input on the stage box, but on the console layout, I want this extra tom to sit beside my other toms

But let me get back to my question with two faders for snare, because I still have no idea of the concept of this console:

If I set up two Fader Strips for snare with sligtly different functionality, will this spend one Processing Channel or two ?????

BTW: It´s kind of weird fun learning this forum software and at the same time writing difficult questions in a foreign language, phew

Christian

Nice to see you at it again. Last time "you made me buy" a X32 - got one from first batch - first thursday after world premiere on friday. It is long gone - still performing in my hometown. I have two X32 rack versions and operate solely via wifi & iPad.

Only thing that I am dissatisfied with is the power supply NOT having built-in UPS - even a small one that would carry over few seconds power glitches. I have one external in my rack - and it is only 1U - but weighs more than X32 . . .

So - how is the PSU on this new wing? How long glitch in power is tolerable?

Cheers.

Let´s make some naming conventions ( feel free to change this ):
The console has 40 full "Processing Channels" and 8 restricted processing channels called " Auxes"

The console has faders with dedicated buttons arranged in banks, let´s call them "Fader Strips"

Replace:
You drag one Processing channel into the space holder, which represents the Fader Strip.
If there is something designated already, it will be replaced

Insert:
Inserting a channel into an existing layout, means everything to the right is moved one number up on the surface, preferable not
restricted to banks.
Example: I have an existing showfile for a band and drummer brings an extra tom, I plug it into the next free input on the stage box, but on the console layout, I want this extra tom to sit beside my other toms

But let me get back to my question with two faders for snare, because I still have no idea of the concept of this console:

If I set up two Fader Strips for snare with sligtly different functionality, will this spend one Processing Channel or two ?????

BTW: It´s kind of weird fun learning this forum software and at the same time writing difficult questions in a foreign language, phew

No Problem with that exta Tom or whatever comes across. This is what I do. Say you got drums channel 1-8, 9 is your Bass, 10&11 GTRs, 12-14 your Vocals. Just throw the extra Tom anywhere and engage WING user layers. They are very fast to create (just drag & drop on the touchscreen).

I just did a show with two bands where I had no input patches or riders. Just connect everthing to the stagebox and (as a beta tester I already have an early version of the upcoming Co-Pilot app) use Co Pilot, to name all these sources (inputs) while beeing on stage. Than go to the console and set up your channel by automatically loading your already tagged souces. Done!
If everything is set and done and than comes an extra tom or whatever into play, just rearrange your channels with the user layer. Super fast - super simple.

"If I set up two Fader Strips for snare with sligtly different functionality, will this spend one Processing Channel or two ?????"
Sorry, still don't get this one: Maybe try it in German. I'm too stupid today:)

Christian

Nice to see you at it again. Last time "you made me buy" a X32 - got one from first batch - first thursday after world premiere on friday. It is long gone - still performing in my hometown. I have two X32 rack versions and operate solely via wifi & iPad.

Only thing that I am dissatisfied with is the power supply NOT having built-in UPS - even a small one that would carry over few seconds power glitches. I have one external in my rack - and it is only 1U - but weighs more than X32 . . .

So - how is the PSU on this new wing? How long glitch in power is tolerable?

Cheers.

Hi Timo,
good to see, that you are still around!

Concerning the PSU, the WING PSU is lighter than the X32. There are just some local inputs on the WING, therefor less power is needed.
" How long glitch in power is tolerable?" Sorry, no idea. Never used a UPS in my life. Never got a problem without having one. If the power drops, the WING reboots within seven seconds...so that is quite imnpressive.

Christian,

I too remember following your reports and discussion on the X32 long before I had one. I already felt as though I was familiar with it before getting my hands on it, thanks in part to those pages.

Thank you for taking the time to do the same thing for the Wing. I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

Hi Christian! Just got my hands on this console, found your thread here and I have a few questions.. Lets say you wanna use this for mixing monitors. Is there a way to address monitor master faders to any of the 4 "main" ones down in the right corner of the desk? Thats where you usually want them. Also cool with separate monitorbuses for use with IEM or wedge. Most preferrable is to mix IEM in stereo and wedges in mono.. but it seems you can only select one "mode" ( stereo OR mono for both buses..) is this correct? Then another question regarding inputs / channels.. lets say you fill the first 7 channels with mono drums and then want the 8th fader to be stereo OH - then you can't select inputs 8 and 9 for this - you have to skip the 8th and select 9&10.. of course you can swap so you match fader 7 with input 9 and select input 7+8 with fader 8, but this can be really disturbing when you are about to find faulty cables on a live gig for example. Would it be possible to get this od / even thing out of the way or is the architecture "locked" for all future..? Best regards / Thomas