Dave Speaks on the LAB Transition

Re: Dave Speaks on the LAB Transition

Exactly, Dave. I think we'll start doing tasteful, small ads at some point .....

Screw tasteful!!!!

We want spokes-models.

And forget about the users altogether..... the non-commercial, community focus of this place is enough to keep me here even if the userbase stopped growing right this second.

I don't see commercial and a community focus as being mutually exclusive. It just needs be done tastefully in a measured fashion.

<snip>

It can be about tape, sandbags
icon_wink.gif
connectors, etc. Commerce isn't a bad thing in a community like this, it just has to be managed.

That is a great idea. There are lots of little things in this business (from starting out to big leagues) that are hard to find items. Over the years, people learn where to get what (Camel Traders, TheTapeWorks, BMI, etc...) but maybe an online community that brings those sorts of folks to a community of professionals would be a good thing.

While giving advice about electrical and fire safety can be nebulous, it might help to point people to the right sources of safety devices such as fire retardant materials, proper electrical cabling for high traffic, wet, dirty environments, and even properly manufactured and rated rigging devices.

Last edited:

Exactly, Dave. I think we'll start doing tasteful, small ads at some point just because many manufacturers who are very involved with the community want them. Also, they're a great way to find out about new products, etc. The revenue from those ads can then support the site, and various get togethers and expos in the future.

I like the idea of ads because I like to what is new and that the companies think are worth pushing. I would also like to see more freedom for the people in the trenches to speak openly about their products. I like hearing from the designers.

I think the community will let anyone who is simply shilling their product know.

I like the idea of ads because I like to what is new and that the companies think are worth pushing. I would also like to see more freedom for the people in the trenches to speak openly about their products. I like hearing from the designers.

I think the community will let anyone who is simply shilling their product know.

More freedom?

Be careful what you wish for. There aren't that many actual product designers lurking around waiting to be asked a question.

JR.

There aren't that many actual product designers lurking around waiting to be asked a question.

JR.

Maybe because the policies made it not worth their while to participate on a regular basis. I remember a thread about transformers that had a couple of different deep views chiming in. I like the stuff that is beyond my knowledge because it makes me not only think about the new information but also about what I already think I know. I am simply suggesting incouraging that sort of participation. I think that if any one moves from providing information about their product into simply pushing the product, there is enough knowledge in this community to let them know that isn't going to work.

And forget about the users altogether..... the non-commercial, community focus of this place is enough to keep me here even if the userbase stopped growing right this second.

I don't see commercial and a community focus as being mutually exclusive. It just needs be done tastefully in a measured fashion. It also gives the advertisers/sponsors a chance to participate deeper. The wrong way to do it is to try to monetize every available piece of screen real estate by ''noisey'' Flash based ads. Some more or less static, rotated banners with some product placement certain content or forums being ''presented by'', or some such. I see it not so much as a brand marketing but connecting users to other users commercially. For example prior to the LAB being absorbed into PSW we did about 30k a year in ads, mostly from smaller players that dealt directly with the community and well into six figures at our online store. With most of the online being Smaart, measurment mics, headphones, etc. It doesn't have to be Profiles and SD7s. In fact I'd say this sort of marketing doesn't sell those items. It can be about tape, sandbags
icon_wink.gif
connectors, etc. Commerce isn't a bad thing in a community like this, it just has to be managed.

Dave

I could not agree more Dave. By saying I enjoy the non-commercial nature of this site, I didn't intend that to come across as not wanting advertising. It was more of a dig against PSW where advertising was one of their reasons for the ''upgrade''. Certainly a tasteful implementation would be welcome and would help David and Bennett to keep this ship afloat.

What I hate is that it does not tell me whether a thread has unread replies - a real PITA.

If you go into your profile setting and go to the look and layout section, and choose the ''Curve'' layout, it will give you a big orange NEW icon next to each unread thread, click on it and it will take you to the first unread message.

The standard and Core layouts show me normal, hot, I've posted, poll, but not new.

I'm not finding the Curve option.

I'm not finding the Curve option.

Go to your Profile > Summary.

Above where your avatar is, Modify Profile > Look and Layout.

There's a section that says: Current Theme. It will tell you what your current theme is, next to that is a clickable link that says ''Change'', click it. You'll go to another page which lists the available theme profiles, and gives you a preview of each.

''Curve'' is the best, and includes a clickable orange NEW icon next to each thread that has new messages. When you click it, it will take you to the newest message in the thread since you last visited.

Another side benefit of this theme is that it is currently ''broken'' in such a manner as the side add bar displays at the top of the page, and put the forum content all below the bottom of the add. This means that the message area takes up the whole of the left to right screen area, which actually makes the forum readable on an iPhone. Mac assures me that this ''malfunction'' will be fixed eventually.