Digico SD8

Re: Digico SD8

It's a good desk. With 60 flexi channels and 24 flexi busses, it can outperform a CL5, PRO9 and Profile, depending on how your show is configured. And with the new Core2 upgrade that's been announced, that should expand the desk's capabilities even farther.

Questions I would ask are:

- Does it have the Waves card installed?
- Does it have optics installed?
- Which stage box(es)/cabling does it come with?
- How is the stage box loaded?

- Does it have the Waves card installed?
- Does it have optics installed?
- Which stage box(es)/cabling does it come with?
- How is the stage box loaded?

It comes with the MADI-stagebox loaded with 48in/24 out. Coax.
It doesn't have a Waves-card but I have a Waves-server for my Si Performer. I'm considering retrofitting it if it's possible so I can use the server.

I think it's a great desk, super flexible. If you want dedicated hard controls for things like auxes you'll be out of luck. There's a learning curve to get fast on it, but that's true for most any desk. What stage rack are you getting with it (there are multiple options)?

It comes with the MADI-stagebox loaded with 48in/24 out. Coax.
It doesn't have a Waves-card but I have a Waves-server for my Si Performer. I'm considering retrofitting it if it's possible so I can use the server.

So that either means it's a fully loaded MADIRack or a short-loaded DiGiRack. They accept the same cards, but the MADIrack maxes out at 48x24.

You should be able to retrofit the WAVES card without much issue.

Check the faders, a complete new set can be expensive...
Yes, you can run waves with only a Waves server and the console with the Waves option card.

Do you know if it's possible to change the faders in single numbers or do you need to replace the whole bank?
Fader 3 in the centre section is a bit buggy.
It get's better once the console heats up.

I have been offered a Digico SD8 as a part of a trade.

Pros/cons on that desk?

I've used a SD9 a few times, it was ok.

I'm familiar with Vi, Pro and CL-series as a benchmark.

Top-tier sonics and "house" FX. SD platform is widely accepted, mature, and de-bugged.

What was involved in trade?

Digico SD8

Old debt from a sale.
Sold four Danley SH50s, six Labsubs and amps/processing to a customer, they have been unable to pay for it all.
So I was offered a deal, and I'm thinking it's better to have a Digico SD8 than an unpaid invoice.

Last edited:

Old debt from a sale.
Sold four Danley SH50s, six Labsubs and amps/processing to a customer, they have been unable to pay for it all.
So I was offered a deal, and I'm thinking it's better to have a Digico SD8 than an unpaid invoice.

The rider friendliness is likely based on locale, I see SD8s both on tour in in riders all the time in my area. The local big production house just picked up two, marking their shift away from Avid (as far as I can tell at least).

Hi Helge
The faders can be swapped individually no problem. Best to confirm that it isn't simply dirty first. If it is clean but still acting this way I would recommend doing all the faders in that bank as it is then mot likely caused by wear and the others will probably fail soon as well. PM me for the tech note on how to clean the faders if you decide on the purchase.