Does this product exist?

Re: Does this product exist?

I'm hoping that that will happen too. It seems to be the only standard (correct me if wrong) that is or can be AVB compliant. Ultimately I'm guessing that when AVB products finally start shipping in numbers, it will make sense for self-powered boxes to follow suit. (personally hoping that Speakerpower do it soon so the Danley's can be "networked")

Speakerpower already has a cobranet version of their plate amps. I have networks in the field with 15-20 plates in one network.

...et not so much

Latency details for Cobranet and Dante

Harman in integrating all of the protocols soon, stream lining everything, which will really make it nice on the design and programming side of things. Eventually both dmx, audio, and audio control/monitoring will be on the same wire and same surface. One surface, multiple uses. That is where they are headed.

Dante is so much better than Cobranet in so many ways. Dante is pretty much all I spec/install because of the latency and implementation by our key venders.

Last edited:

Hi all, hope this appropriate, I'm not trying to sell via the forum but we do make a Dante Bridge.

It's powered using PoE and features two outputs in both analogue / AES format.

If you're interested search for my name or Dante Bridge and you should be able to find our company.

Dante is so much better than Cobranet in so many ways. Dante is pretty much all I spec/install because of the latency and implementation by our key venders.

I don't disagree with you at all...but it's only to be expected when a technology comes out 10 years later that there be an improvement. I still see too much of a gap in dante products to start widely specifying them. Once we see another respectable DSP and amplifier company get on board I will be making the move...(I already picked up a few virtual sound card licenses when they were on sale) The one thing I wont do is stack converters just to get to a format I want to play with.

Last edited:

Yeah, I knew they had the cobranet versions. Just would prefer Dante :D~:-D~:grin:

On advantages and disadvantages?

Dante has very low latency...

Cobran...

Here's my take on it:

The mixers that I would like to persue investing in and using in the future seem to use Dante for the stage<->FOH connection. Why on earth would I want to convert to another network format just to get into the powered boxes? If I'm willing to "skip formats" I might as well use AES or analog. For "throw'n'go" gigs it seems great to just use Cat6 from console to the stage rack, then continue "daisychaing" cat6 to the mains and monitors. The stage rack would still have the analog and AES outputs available for "racks'n'stacks" gigs.

Regarding the setup of the network using a computer: I see no reason why a Yamaha CL5 shouldn't be able to see all speakers on the network and allow you to assign whatever mix to whatever speaker. They already allow you to control the Nexo amp DSP from the screen of the CL5 console :)

Hi all, hope this appropriate, I'm not trying to sell via the forum but we do make a Dante Bridge.

It's powered using PoE and features two outputs in both analogue / AES format.

If you're interested search for my name or Dante Bridge and you should be able to find our company.

I may be Google challenged, but you seem to be out of sight after my searches. Perhaps it would be proper for you to present a link now that you have presented that you in fact make such an item? :)

then continue "daisychaing" cat6 to the mains and monitors.

NO NO NO!!! It doesn't matter if you are using CobraNet or Dante, DO NOT "DAISY-CHAIN" your network!!! Think "STAR" instead...

The problem is that when you link too many network switches in a chain, the forwarding delay from one end to the other becomes too unstable.

Of course, we all know that Dante requires at least a Gigabit network, and you are limited to about 6-7 network switch hops.

CobraNet, on the other hand, with a old-school 10/100 network is also limited to about 6 network switch hops. However using a current technology Gigabit backbone in your network, you should be able to do several more than that.

Regardless, you need to remember to build your network in a star configuration, not a daisy-chain!

In regards to Dante v. Cobranet - and I ask this having not either one - Is there any way that Dante is not superior to Cobranet?

From what I saw on Wiki that Cobranet's latency can be a minimum of 1.3 milliseconds and a maximum of over 5 milliseconds. Dante's Q&A seemed to indicated that all systems should get <1ms and quoted a number of simple connections being able to get considerably less than that. Dante can run way more channels, and Dante seems to describe it as mostly plug and play... but I admittedly read that on their website. Dante runs on standard switches, even along side other network data. Dante has Virtual Soundcard.

With the exception of currently having some more products, is there a Cobranet upside over Dante?

I don't disagree with you at all...but it's only to be expected when a technology comes out 10 years later that there be an improvement. I still see too much of a gap in dante products to start widely specifying them. Once we see another respectable DSP and amplifier company get on board I will be making the move...(I already picked up a few virtual sound card licenses when they were on sale) The one thing I wont do is stack converters just to get to a format I want to play with.

Lectrosonics, BSS, Yamaha, Symetrix are respectable and have DSP options tried and true and more coming. Symetrix processing is quite good, and their software is very easy to program. New Crown Drivecore CI amps, QSC's new Acoustic Performance install line, Lab.gruppen, Yamaha, Crest, etc, etc offer Dante options. It's out there and or coming.

In regards to Dante v. Cobranet - and I ask this having not either one - Is there any way that Dante is not superior to Cobranet?

It depends on what you define as "superior"... as with most things in the audio world, it depends on what you are trying to do.

From what I saw on Wiki that Cobranet's latency can be a minimum of 1.3 milliseconds and a maximum of over 5 milliseconds. Dante's Q&A seemed to indicated that all systems should get <1ms and quoted a number of simple connections being able to get considerably less than that. Dante can run way more channels, and Dante seems to describe it as mostly plug and play... but I admittedly read that on their website. Dante runs on standard switches, even along side other network data. Dante has Virtual Soundcard.

Honestly, CobraNet is mostly plug and play too. CobraNet does NOT require the use of IP addressing as it is a layer two protocol. All that is required is for you to apply a bundle number to a stream of 8 channels and that is it. It is very simple to set up.

Sure, the latency for CobraNet is longer than that of Dante, and that is the greatest upside to using Dante.

However, both CobraNet and Dante are capable of running hundreds of channels of audio across the network. Just because a single end point device can only support 32 inputs by 32 outputs does not mean that is the capacity of the network. That was originally the case when CobraNet first came out because networking was accomplished using Ethernet HUBS, not SWITCHES. Therefore all traffic on each port was reflected to all other ports. With the advent of network SWITCHES, the number of audio channels on a CobraNet network is limited only by the backplane speed of the network switch and backbone speed of the network, much like it is with Dante. Also, using Gigabit links between network switches means you have the opportunity to move hundreds and hundreds of audio channels of across the network with no problem.

To get CobraNet into or out of a computer, you do need to use a dedicated hardware platform like the Audio Science CobraNet interface cards.

CobraNet has traditionally been used in installations rather than live environments, and the products that are available with CobraNet versus the products that are available with Dante reflect that tradition.

With the exception of currently having some more products, is there a Cobranet upside over Dante?

The only real upside to CobraNet over Dante is that it works extremely well with 100Mbit network hardware whereas Dante REQUIRES Gigabit.

I also consider it an upside the CobraNet uses bundles to package the audio, so routing 8 channels of audio is simply applying one bundle number to a transmitting device and receiving device to get all 8 channels through. With Dante I have to hunt and peck 8 check boxes in the Dante Controller Software. However that is a personal opinion, and other people would consider it a downside. The thing that most people don't realize is that you don't have to use all 8 channels in a bundle. You can short load bundles with as few as 1 channel per bundle and send them all over the place. However, not all hardware supports this functionality. I think of it like using virtual uni-directional sub-snakes.

So, in conclusion, yes, there are benefits to using Dante, but there are also benefits to using CobraNet. It really depends on what you are doing and where you want to go with it. Certainly there are a lot of new products coming out with Dante in them that makes a lot of sense to use. However, CobraNet has been around for a long time and it will continue to be around for a long time just because it has been installed in so many places.

Cool, thanks for the info. Awesome to be able to learn about this stuff before having ever touched it.

Dante's website does say it can work on a 100Mbps with a reduced channel count though.

Cool, thanks for the info. Awesome to be able to learn about this stuff before having ever touched it.

Dante's website does say it can work on a 100Mbps with a reduced channel count though.

While it "can work" on a 100Mb network, anyone who is manufacturing Dante products (btw, I work for a company who was one of the first to have Dante products available for purchase) will tell you that you need a Gigabit network.

I have a really nice 10/100 network switch on my desk and I was having trouble testing some of our own Dante stuff in our DSP products.

After discussing it with Audinate, we determined that even though the channel count "would work" over my 100Mb network, I really needed to be using the 1Gb network for timely clock sync betwixt the boxes, which is what was actually causing my issues.

Ergo, Using Dante? Use a Gigabit network.