Does this product exist?

Re: Does this product exist?

JBL has something close... They support CorbraNet.

JBL :: Product Family

There are several brands now sporting various forms of self-powered boxes with digital audio inputs, including Turbosound, Vue, Renkus Heinz, Behringer. Usually AES or some proprietary network system. But I find it strange than none of them use Dante. I would expect that especially from Yamaha at this point.

[...] none of them use Dante. [...]

I'm hoping that that will happen too. It seems to be the only standard (correct me if wrong) that is or can be AVB compliant. Ultimately I'm guessing that when AVB products finally start shipping in numbers, it will make sense for self-powered boxes to follow suit. (personally hoping that Speakerpower do it soon so the Danley's can be "networked")

Dante has some advantages over Cobranet as a format from what I've read, seems like it could bring this more mainstream! Only Harmon products have Cobranet, I think?

Mostly post in PSW. Usually just read here on SF, first post. Hello!

Dante has some advantages over Cobranet as a format from what I've read, seems like it could bring this more mainstream! Only Harmon products have Cobranet, I think?!
CobraNet is owned by Cirrus Logic and is supported by a large number of manufacturers. These manufacturers license CobraNet for implementation into their products from Cirrus.
Hello to you too!

There have been multiple attempts to provide a single standard for digital interfaces. The industry has never been very good at playing nice together (remember early days of midi?). I am expecting some consumer standard to perhaps win by default... or not. Not my area of experitse

JR

PS: Cirrus bought Peak Audio in 2001. Peak was the developer of CobraNet, and the original designer of MediaMatrix. AFAIK there were numerous users of CobraNet years ago. I haven't been keeping score lately. Cirris is mainly in the IC business selling chips to the Apples of the world.

Dante has some advantages over Cobranet as a format from what I've read, seems like it could bring this more mainstream! Only Harmon products have Cobranet, I think?

Cobranet seems to be the audio distribution standard in large installs like stadia - it is NOT something easy or simple to deploy, especially for a mobile rig that changes often.

Dante is more easily customized on-the-fly. I hope it becomes the standard.

Cobranet seems to be the audio distribution standard in large installs like stadia -
Yes, it is often used in a lot of installations, large and small alike.

it is NOT something easy or simple to deploy, especially for a mobile rig that changes often.
I'm not buying this for a minute. CobraNet is WAY easier to set up and configure than most people make it. Often they make it more difficult just because they don't get a grip on how it works. It is very simple technology and it works very well. Of course, it doesn't help that a lot of manufacturers try to obfuscate how it works, which makes everything more complicated in the first place.

Dante is being supported by a number of manufacturers now. They are pretty major players, too. So I think it is well on its way.

I'm hoping that that will happen too. It seems to be the only standard (correct me if wrong) that is or can be AVB compliant. Ultimately I'm guessing that when AVB products finally start shipping in numbers, it will make sense for self-powered boxes to follow suit. (personally hoping that Speakerpower do it soon so the Danley's can be "networked")

I noticed this on Audinate's site earlier today Dante Ultimo 2x2 which looks targeted at this market!

Cobranet may or may not easy to use, but we can for sure say that it only seems to be used in certain devices. Dante is breaking out across lots of different brands and price levels, licensing must be reasonable. Seems like it is well positioned to gain more uniformity in the biz than Cobranet.

Cobranet seems to be the audio distribution standard in large installs like stadia - it is NOT something easy or simple to deploy, especially for a mobile rig that changes often.

I disagree completely as well. Many cobranet devices don't even need computers to be configured...Whirlwind CI2L, CO2L, Biamp Expos, Expi's, etc. Dante will typically need a computer for configuration in the same aspects that cobranet does....and the deployment is essentially the same. Hook it up, and then tell it where to send data. While I am completely for moving forward with technology...i don't see a need to knock proven technology. I will say that a problem with cobranet is the ability to sync the network clock to an external clock . I do see an external clock sync into the CL series desks, but i don't know if it will sync the dante clock.