Enclosed Trailers

Jack Keaton

Sophomore
Dec 6, 2011
I trust most of your opinions more then I do a dealer, I am looking at a Wells Cargo enclosed trailer 6 x 12. So my question(s) have any of you used them before and any info on their construction? or do you guys have any other recommendations (with in the 3k limit) on trailers.

Re: Enclosed Trailers

Do you have a link to the exact model?

6x12 I'm pretty sure is a 3500 lb trailer. Make sure it has radial tires on it. If you load the trailer near its max weight with bias tires you can have some troubles with tire heat and pre mature failure.

Did you add up everything in weight that you will be carrying?

Do you have a link to the exact model?

6x12 I'm pretty sure is a 3500 lb trailer. Make sure it has radial tires on it. If you load the trailer near its max weight with bias tires you can have some troubles with tire heat and pre mature failure.

Did you add up everything in weight that you will be carrying?

I went to this guy Used Trailers For Sale Holley NY Used Trailer Sales Adams Basin Albion - JPR TRAILER SALES and he seems to be cheapest around. Weight of everything right now is about 1300 pounds.

Wells Cargo make good trailers.

Only 1300 pounds of gear?
I have 1132 pounds of gear in my 4x8, and 2475 pounds of gear in my 5'x8' trailer.

Last edited:

Make sure it has electric brakes. Mine has a ramp door which I really like. Mines a 5x12

(Different brand, MTI)

What Rob and Tim said. I highly recommend the dual axle on a 6x12. Much more stable both on the road and when loading and unloading. The extra capacity will come in handy in the future. You might not think so now but this business has a way of adding weight to your rig in many different ways.

What Rob and Tim said. I highly recommend the dual axle on a 6x12. Much more stable both on the road and when loading and unloading. The extra capacity will come in handy in the future. You might not think so now but this business has a way of adding weight to your rig in many different ways.

And if you go with a dual axle you might as well go 7 x 14, I'm glad I did

I had a 6x12 V-Nose built brand new to my specifications for under 3k by Cargo Craft. Single axle, ramp door, side door, upgraded plywall thickness on floors and walls, 6.5' interior height, etc. If you live close enough to where any trailer manufacturers are you can get great deals on new if you shop around and can pick up yourself from the manufacturer. Theres usually at least $500-$600 markup for delivery fee to the dealer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR 2

And if you go with a dual axle you might as well go 7 x 14, I'm glad I did

At some point the trailer gets a little big and heavy. 7000lbs in a 7X14 trailer is pushing 10,000 lbs. That takes a heck of a truck to do this well. I don't do trailers - if the gear doesn't fit in my Express, I rent a cube van. Easier to drive, easier to load and unload, and handles the weight better.

At some point the trailer gets a little big and heavy. 7000lbs in a 7X14 trailer is pushing 10,000 lbs. That takes a heck of a truck to do this well. I don't do trailers - if the gear doesn't fit in my Express, I rent a cube van. Easier to drive, easier to load and unload, and handles the weight better.

This is exactly why I got the single axle for my personal sound equipment. The band I work with also has a 7x14 with tandem axle and it is a beast to pull when loaded down. If i ever need a trailer that will haul that much I'm going to need a bigger truck first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR 2

I ended up going with a 6x12 dual axle and decided if I needed more space than that for a gig I would take my 28 foot box truck. The 6x12 holds a pretty big rig with 6 monitors and a light show. For shows needing more, a larger trailer for me was not the answer but again I have a box truck. I thought about a 7x14 but I had to cut it off somewhere. I can pull the 6x12 with my Expedition but anything larger really requires a 3/4 ton or better truck to be comfortable. The Expedition is really at the limit when the trailer is fully loaded and fuel economy goes down to about 9 mpg. It all depends on how much stuff you need to haul. The diesel box truck is only a mile per gallon less than when the 6x12 is fully loaded and I can tow a 60KW generator behind it as well. I also recommend e-track and lock bars. I personally like a ramp door with fold up plates over the gap and and at the bottom for fast load in and out but a good ramp and barn doors work just as well but take a couple of minutes to set up and require extra storage space. Good luck with what you decide on!

And 10k GTW is the limit before you need a Class A CDL.

I just bought an E350 cutaway box van which came stock with an 11,500 GVW. Since it weighs 7,500 empty, that left 4,000 pounds of cargo capacity, which is not nearly enough. I upgraded the springs to bring the GVW up to 14,500 GVW (and registered the change with the DMV) allowing 7,000 or so of capacity. Loaded about 1 layer high (that is, nothing really stacked), I weighed in at a little over 14,000 pounds on a recent trip.

That is all to say that gear weighs a lot more than you think. If I can lightly load this truck with 7,000 of gear and have volume for double the gear in a 14' box, I could pretty easily get over 10,000 of gear in this truck and be way overweight.

My next truck is going to have to be a 'real' truck with the usual 26,000 pound non-CDL GVW.

Thanks for the info guys. I am have been looking at dual axle set ups, I notice that an added axle seems to bring up the price up any where from 1k to 1.3k does that seem right?

Thanks for the info guys. I am have been looking at dual axle set ups, I notice that an added axle seems to bring up the price up any where from 1k to 1.3k does that seem right?

Remember that the weight numbers I and some others have used are the gross weight. So, 7000 lbs is the max weight of the trailer plus cargo. With 2 3500 lb axels you can't go to 10,000.

For a 6x12, adding an axel will add about 3000 lbs of capacity since the trailer weight itself is about the same. So, a single axel will only let you load 2000 lbs or less.

My trailer has been weighed in at 6800 lbs with a modest sound and light rig in it.
If I were doing it over I would have gone with 16' which would have given me more flexibility in loading and weight balance to keep the tongue weight right.
I tow it with a half ton pickup with a 13,000 lb GCVW. The weighing confirmed I was legal and safe.

Sent from my iPad HD

Thats about right

I agree with E-Track. I custom ordered my trailer and went with 2 rows if E-Track. I had them installed at 18" center and 41" center. This worked perfect for me. I bought a 5x12 trailer. It's a bit shorter in height but it fits into my garage that way. Ramp door with a threshold plate allows for easy loading/unloading.

Couple pics:
36cb9ee9.jpg

You can see how the measurements work for strapping gear down. Figure out what will works and decide on the heights. Everything is nice and secure, and much cleaner letting them do it...
FD942015-2A75-4C90-8606-C2B68CC3CEB8-15733-00000CD4C5AE5115_zps986c3ad3.jpg

C4B17917-189F-4C36-B87E-7452D2B1A795-15733-00000CD501C3BF48_zps36700ceb.jpg

Nice job Rob! The threshold plate works wonders. Here is a photo of my well used and abused 6x12:

Attachments

• trailer 003.jpg
    trailer 003.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 0