Enclosed Trailers

Re: Enclosed Trailers

Nice job Rob! The threshold plate works wonders. Here is a photo of my well used and abused 6x12:

Sweet! Ah shoot. I knew I forgot to do something today. I was going to buy that grip tape from Acklands.

Shoot.

Did you use any additional glue beside what's on the tape?

Last edited:

No additional glue, just make sure the surface is really clean before you put it down. You might have different results going on top of that particle board. Worst case you could paint or seal the ramp with a coat of urethane or something before you put the grip tape down. That grip tape really works wonders, especially in the rain.

So after reading this, I figured I would double check my numbers on weight, so I made a spread sheet. I am easily over 1700 pounds and thats not even with cables added in and the boxes to hold cables. :blush:

So after reading this, I figured I would double check my numbers on weight, so I made a spread sheet. I am easily over 1700 pounds and thats not even with cables added in and the boxes to hold cables. :blush:

You should think seriously about dual axles. I would also look at craigslist to see what is out there in your area. Sometimes there are some really low use trailers available. Good luck!

Sweet! Ah shoot. I knew I forgot to do something today. I was going to buy that grip tape from Acklands.

Shoot.

Did you use any additional glue beside what's on the tape?

Get some rustoleum bed liner and add some extra sand to it. then paint 2 coats onto your ramp, no more slip n slide.

That does sound good.

My problem is that it's winter. My trailer fits in my garage but I don't really have room to drop the gate in order to paint it.

I think I'll put some strips on it and then paint over it in the summer. (Remove the strips with a heat gun.)

And 10k GTW is the limit before you need a Class A CDL.

I just bought an E350 cutaway box van which came stock with an 11,500 GVW. Since it weighs 7,500 empty, that left 4,000 pounds of cargo capacity, which is not nearly enough. I upgraded the springs to bring the GVW up to 14,500 GVW (and registered the change with the DMV) allowing 7,000 or so of capacity. Loaded about 1 layer high (that is, nothing really stacked), I weighed in at a little over 14,000 pounds on a recent trip.

That is all to say that gear weighs a lot more than you think. If I can lightly load this truck with 7,000 of gear and have volume for double the gear in a 14' box, I could pretty easily get over 10,000 of gear in this truck and be way overweight.

My next truck is going to have to be a 'real' truck with the usual 26,000 pound non-CDL GVW.

So you are going to put 10,000lbs on a stock rear single axle truck? I'm sure that you checked the axle housing rating and the ring and pinion type to verify that it will not explode on the road? I'm sure you changed the hubs to hold 5/8 studs, right? Of course you had the rims custom made since they cannot possibly hold that much weight for extended periods. Did you put a full floating rear axle in there? Do you know what that is?

I will watch for your impending wreck on the news.

So you are going to put 10,000lbs on a stock rear single axle truck? I'm sure that you checked the axle housing rating and the ring and pinion type to verify that it will not explode on the road? I'm sure you changed the hubs to hold 5/8 studs, right? Of course you had the rims custom made since they cannot possibly hold that much weight for extended periods. Did you put a full floating rear axle in there? Do you know what that is?

I will watch for your impending wreck on the news.

Back the truck up. I think the point he was making was that he could easily fit 10,000lbs not that he should, or would.

Back the truck up. I think the point he was making was that he could easily fit 10,000lbs not that he should, or would.

Yep. Reading comprehension 101. The important part is quoted below, with emphasis added.

That is all to say that gear weighs a lot more than you think. If I can lightly load this truck with 7,000 of gear and have volume for double the gear in a 14' box, I could pretty easily get over 10,000 of gear in this truck and be way overweight.

No additional glue, just make sure the surface is really clean before you put it down. You might have different results going on top of that particle board. Worst case you could paint or seal the ramp with a coat of urethane or something before you put the grip tape down. That grip tape really works wonders, especially in the rain.

Nice!! I ordered a 60' roll of 4" wide grip tape from Acklands today. Should be there tomorrow. My door is 4' wide so there's plenty!

It was just under $35. They have all different types. Black, yellow, 1" 2" 4". I figured good and wide. My ramp is approx 4' wide so I should have plenty.

fyi I am waiting on a quote for a 7 x 14 dual axle with etrack and ramp door from a local dealer

Nice!! Don't forget a side door!! Handy for when you don't want to or can't drop the rear door.

I picked up the tape. I'll see about installing some next week. I might do some tonight just inside the door to see how well it sticks. I'm not against a layer of spray glue if I need it.

Last edited:

So I got the trailer 7 x 14, transition flap, Etrack, rear jacks, Finished interior, lights, you guys suck ill have pics when I get it.