FCC Announces Authorization of Unlicensed TVBD Databases Nationwide

Jason Glass

Sophomore
On March 1, 2013, the FCC announced the authorization of unlicensed TVBD or "white space devices" databases for use by devices nationwide. The public notice can be examined at http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2013/db0301/DA-13-324A1.pdf The commission had previously authorized use in the eastern region of the USA, back in December 2012.

This is a big deal to wireless microphone users. I am posting it here because I feel that this precursor indicates that a national rollout of TVBDs will begin soon, directly impacting the way we pro audio engineers do our work.

Unlicensed wireless microphone users are expected to protect themselves from interference caused by roaming TVBD's by knowing exactly what wireless equipment and frequencies they will be using at specific locations at least 30 days before use, and by requesting registration of their event at least 30 days in advance at authorized database providers like this one: http://whitespaces.spectrumbridge.c...ration/lowpowerauxunlicensedregistration.aspx. Requests will be subject to review before they are granted.

Broadcast Auxiliary Service Low Power licensees have immediate access to the database to enter the channels, location, date, and time that they will be operating wireless equipment. The entries are supposed to propagate through the national system within one hour of entry, and TVBD's are presumed to access the database before transmitting. One portal can be found at https://whitespaces.spectrumbridge.com/protectedentityregistration/lowpowerauxregistration.aspx.

FYI, neither I nor my company are affiliated in any way with Spectrum Bridge.

Last edited:
Re: FCC Announces Authorization of Unlicensed TVBD Databases Nationwide

Hi Jeff,

They certainly are!

I'm surprised that this news hasn't sparked a discussion. After touring for over 20 years as a monitor engineer and always having responsibility for the wireless gear land in my lap, it is abundantly clear to me that meeting the commission's expectations of 30 days' advance notice for unlicensed users is completely impossible for the vast majority of touring users. Anyone who has attempted to coordinate their wireless frequencies for a tour, in advance, using only FCC ULS database info, knows that ULS data is only marginally reliable for this purpose. Since the commission's rules exclude all but primary service licensees and TV & motion picture producers from LP license eligibility, the deck is obviously stacked against the live entertainment segment of our industry.

Hi Jeff,

They certainly are!

I'm surprised that this news hasn't sparked a discussion. After touring for over 20 years as a monitor engineer and always having responsibility for the wireless gear land in my lap, it is abundantly clear to me that meeting the commission's expectations of 30 days' advance notice for unlicensed users is completely impossible for the vast majority of touring users. Anyone who has attempted to coordinate their wireless frequencies for a tour, in advance, using only FCC ULS database info, knows that ULS data is only marginally reliable for this purpose. Since the commission's rules exclude all but primary service licensees and TV & motion picture producers from LP license eligibility, the deck is obviously stacked against the live entertainment segment of our industry.

Hi Jason -

The advance notice for database listing and broadcast auxiliary services licensee aspects have been known for a couple of years. Henry Cohen, Pete Best and Mac Kerr have been keeping us abreast of the changes and implications.

That entertainment wireless has been thrown under the bus is not news, unfortunately. The spin is that we are now legal users of spectrum where previously we were squatters.

You can thank those who monetize either content or searches on mobile devices for all of this. That means Google, Microsoft, Apple, magazines and bloggers, tweeters and woofers and Facebook Oh My.... they didn't see our problems as significant enough to stand in the way of the next great RF revenue generation devices. They believe that technology will solve our problems but offered no money or research assistance.

The big and not so big wireless mic manufacturers have been working hard to deliver new systems that will meet the needs of buyers while conforming to the technical requirements of using UHF TV spectrum... but do not expect protection as there will be none.

I foresee a time coming soon, where in major markets it will be necessary for performers to go back to wired mics and guitars, saving precious spectrum for IEMs (or vice-versa).

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

That entertainment wireless has been thrown under the bus is not news, unfortunately.
Tim Mc

Hi Tim,

Of course, I have been paying close attention to the discussions to date, and I'm familiar with the major players. I agree 100% with your assessment of what's going on with the financial backing and who is responsible for this stuff. I must also admit that I wouldn't mind it if more performers would shun unnecessary wireless gadgetry, even though wireless is my biz.

What is news is official public announcement of nationwide authorization for the system.

In my humble opinion, it has not been proven whether or not the hardware/software/network/database system will work properly, since mobile TVBD's have not been widely in use during the initial East Coast phase of implementation. I suspect that LP licensees may find ourselves under the bus right along with the rest when the time comes that there are as many TVBD's out there as iPhones. The manufacturers and service providers will not stand idly by while their products are consistently disabled in LP protection zones, because their customers will complain en mass, and the FCC will be highly pressured to change the rules again in their favor.

No disagreement, Jason. It's gonna get worse and probably never get better unless we monetize our use of the spectrum.

Henry Cohen has mentioned that another wave of spectrum reallocation is probably about 9-10 years away, mostly due to the speed at which congress and the FCC work. I'd wager that the major players in the TVBD biz can lobby congress to speed that up, and since congress approves spending for regulatory agencies, I can imagine the FCC being taken as a fiscal hostage until the beast is fed.

Last edited:

No disagreement, Jason. It's gonna get worse and probably never get better unless we monetize our use of the spectrum.

Henry Cohen has mentioned that another wave of spectrum reallocation is probably about 9-10 years away, mostly due to the speed at which congress and the FCC work. I'd wager that the major players in the TVBD biz can lobby congress to speed that up, and since congress approves spending for regulatory agencies, I can imagine the FCC being taken as a fiscal hostage until the beast is fed.

Absolutely agreed. I'd join you in that wager, if we can find someone who'd take it!

Microsoft applied for authorization as a TVBD database administrator 15 months past the deadline and 3 months after the ruling was complete, yet its application was accepted with full consideration. The power of their lobby to alter the commission's timeline is proven.

A couple of comments . . .

1) In October of 2012 the FCC issued a notice of inquiry to update the record on wireless microphones and the white space device issue. One of the key questions asked by the FCC was that which the wireless user representatives sought years ago: Expanding Part 74 Subpart H license eligibility to include those venues, production companies and users which meet certain criteria (TBD). So it's very likely that the major concert venues, theaters, larger HOWs and even convention centers, as well as major sound & AV providers, will be eligible for licenses, which would enable them to go right to the database bypassing the 30 day FCC prior registration request. Nothing is certain, but that the FCC is seriously considering this is quite positive.

2) At this point it's fairly safe to say we'll have to vacate at least channels 38 -51 by 2020, certainly no later than 2023. Whether we'll also have to vacate 14-20 and 35-36 remains to be seen.

2) At this point it's fairly safe to say we'll have to vacate at least channels 38 -51 by 2020, certainly no later than 2023. Whether we'll also have to vacate 14-20 and 35-36 remains to be seen.

Henry,

Does this mean that the "safe" assigned open channels around 37 will not exist for very long?

Henry,

Does this mean that the "safe" assigned open channels around 37 will not exist for very long?

"Very long" is in the eye of the beholder, or the politician.

Once the spectrum is re-allocated after the 600MHz auction the two reserved channels will almost certainly go away. The reasoning is there are almost always TV channels quiet enough (especially inside) in which to operate wireless mics, but are unavailable to TVBD/WSDs due to service contour protections. What they white space proponents miss is that after the re-allocation, the remaining TV broadcasters will be repacked into less spectrum, leaving far far fewer open channels in the UHF-TV band for either wireless mics OR TVBD/WSDs.

A couple of comments . . .

1) In October of 2012 the FCC issued a notice of inquiry to update the record on wireless microphones and the white space device issue. One of the key questions asked by the FCC was that which the wireless user representatives sought years ago: Expanding Part 74 Subpart H license eligibility to include those venues, production companies and users which meet certain criteria (TBD). So it's very likely that the major concert venues, theaters, larger HOWs and even convention centers, as well as major sound & AV providers, will be eligible for licenses, which would enable them to go right to the database bypassing the 30 day FCC prior registration request. Nothing is certain, but that the FCC is seriously considering this is quite positive.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info. Number two made me sigh out loud in disgust.

I follow the FCC site and the CommLawBlog for info. Got any other good links for up-to-date stuff like rulings, notices, commentary, or trends?