Freelancers, do any of you carry mixing consoles?

Randy Pence

Freshman
Oct 25, 2011
Berlin, Germany
I freelance as a technician and have no desires to jump into the provider world. However, working for inadequately equipped venues and promoters, I've rented enough mixers for my own and only my own use (bands not having their own B.E), that I'd like to start putting some of that money in my pocket.

It never made sense for me to buy an ls9 or any other lounge level rider-friendly mixer, but I've enjoyed using the x32 and given its local rental prices, could justify buying one for my own (given the adage of buying anything one rents 20+ times a year).

Many engineers carry their own outboard and/or mics (which I might also think about buying a few more of), but how do you package them in your pricing? Itemized? Packaged with labor? I freelance, but am insured and have a registered small business.

Re: Freelancers, do any of you carry mixing consoles?

i invoice additionally if i provide gear

when someone asks on a on-off project
i just give them a package price...

I free lance for our arena here in town , I use their gear, they have some top notch stuff and it is so easy to use it. but at times i have used my own , only because the event called for it.

I freelance and will usually bring my mics/DIs and x32 console, unless I know the band or venue is sufficiently equipped. I'd rather be comfortable and know that at least I have the tools I need. I charge 25-50% more to carry this equipment. But I know the situation before I quote a price.

I have in the past brought a "briefcase" sized mixer to gigs that I knew had crap FOH. By briefcase sized, I mean an 01v96 (or my earlier 03d). I figure that this is exactly like bringing a small rack of outboard which I know a lot of freelancers do.

An x32 is a little large for throwing in the backseat of the VW, but I guess it could be done. What do you do for the snake? Borrow the house's? That's what I did, but then I was dealing with 12-16 channel bands at the time.

I have in the past brought a "briefcase" sized mixer to gigs that I knew had crap FOH. By briefcase sized, I mean an 01v96 (or my earlier 03d). I figure that this is exactly like bringing a small rack of outboard which I know a lot of freelancers do.

An x32 is a little large for throwing in the backseat of the VW, but I guess it could be done. What do you do for the snake? Borrow the house's? That's what I did, but then I was dealing with 12-16 channel bands at the time.

Briefcase mixer gigs are exactly hte situation I'm in. I'm a city guy, so I'd just take a taxi. Small club and bar level mixing is where I am at, and that usually means some really old analog board with an almost bare minimum amount of outboard. As far as the snake goes, I'd grudgingly use the house snake, or buy a 30m 32/8 from Thomann, because renting one that size is about an 8th of hte purchase and it is rare that I need more than 5 monitor mixes. Digital stageboxes would be a long term goal, or sell the mixer and get a core and control surface combo if behringer ever offers that. I've mixed on 16ch 01vs and ls9s, and am willing to sacrifice a smaller footprint for a less cluttered frame

Stuff like monitors, stands, cables, PA, etc would continue to be rented as needed, or use what is available. My main issue speccing rentals in my local market is that none of the providers are offering newer generation lounge level digital mixers at lounge level prices. It is no problem finding varsity consoles and 01v96s, but I am somewhere in between.

I rarely use any of my own gear. At certain bar gigs, I'll carry mics and DI's to supplement the house package. Those will be invoiced separately.

Freelancing, there was the occasional 01v96 that would get used, and while that wasn't often, it paid for itself multiple times. I'm sure an X32 would do the same, if not more.

I once started buying into small bar-type PA, but realized going the provider route wasn't worth it for me unless I was going all in.

Pretty much exactly the same thing I do for small club "one offs". And the same consoles as well; the 03d is "coming out of retirement" for a bar gig tonight.

I only do these kinds of jobs anymore for bands that include long time friends of mine playing music I like so there is no extra billing involved. If it doesn't fit in the trunk of the Accord and make it in and out of the venue on one load of a "Rack and Roller" cart, it doesn't go.

"Real" gigs that require me to bring my own mics and console get billed an amount that covers both my time and the gear.

I use kind of the same principle. I have a single fee for a walkup gig. That includes anything of my personal gear that makes my night easier that I can fit into the yaris.

We set up our own board (studio live or 01v) at just about every gig with typical bar grade equipment. Often it is just set up side stage and we use the house snake to jump into the house system.

I once started buying into small bar-type PA, but realized going the provider route wasn't worth it for me unless I was going all in.

This is why when I purchase equipment to suit my larger gigs, I also try to make sure that the equipment is Multipurpose. That way when Im not out on a large gig I can take my wedges (QRX115s) to smaller shows as Wedges, Fills or FOH on a stick out on days that I otherwise would not have a show and still bring in a few hundred bucks for the night. I also understand that I may not be doing as many shows or large shows as frequently as some of you.

That being said if Im walking in on a rig that I know will be OK at least, I will usually have a few extra mics, cables and DIs along with a pouch of adapters etc in my truck. I wont bring them in unless I have a direct need. But when something goes down or we are a few short and you save the day, it helps them want to pay you next time and the time after etc. When I had more outboard I would take a small rack sometimes but that was just personal preference over necessity and therefore included in my fee. On the rare occasion I did bring a mixer or other large item cause the venue just wouldnt do, it was billed accordingly.

Last edited:

This is why when I purchase equipment to suit my larger gigs, I also try to make sure that the equipment is Multipurpose. That way when Im not out on a large gig I can take my wedges (QRX115s) to smaller shows as Wedges, Fills or FOH on a stick out on days that I otherwise would not have a show and still bring in a few hundred bucks for the night. I also understand that I may not be doing as many shows or large shows as frequently as some of you.

That being said if Im walking in on a rig that I know will be OK at least, I will usually have a few extra mics, cables and DIs along with a pouch of adapters etc in my truck. I wont bring them in unless I have a direct need. But when something goes down or we are a few short and you save the day, it helps them want to pay you next time and the time after etc. When I had more outboard I would take a small rack sometimes but that was just personal preference over necessity and therefore included in my fee. On the rare occasion I did bring a mixer or other large item cause the venue just wouldnt do, it was billed accordingly.

My daily fee includes personal use stuff like headphones, com headset or handset, talk back mic, adapters, small tools, Q-box and a laptop computer with Smaart, Audacity and a variety of loudspeaker prediction programs. How I use Smaart is up to me. If I'm doing a walk up and mix gig, I might throw in a 58, a small diaphragm condenser, and an active DI to aid in trouble shooting or deal with last minute inputs.

On some gigs I charge a higher day fee and bring an 01v96. If I list it as a rental item I have to charge sales tax but if I build it into the day rate it's a tool of my trade and not subject to taxation.

It depends on what I am hired for...

There are a couple bars that I freelance and I take in a Mic kit (or use their crusty Superlux and CAD mics). And then there is a couple providers I work with and I take in my LS9 and add it into their gear for the show.