Hey digital console users don't forget your UPS

Re: Hey digital console users don't forget your UPS

I take it you didn't read the posts previous to your own.

Folks, you gotta be careful. If you add a UPS, what you are actually doing is adding another 'point of failure'!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 'don't get one', but what I am saying is that if you do, you gotta make sure that it is a good quality one (which may cost more than the 10% of even an X32!) Lets face it, you always get what you pay for, so going down to your local electronics store to bick up a 'bargain bin' UPS probably is not the best approach.

Not only are you adding in additional electronics, but additional connectors as well, as you daisychain the power. Make sure that the power plugs can be secured or screwed in place, and that the power switch for the UPS isn't a standard rocker or 'press' switch that one can bump with the knee, make sure it is sheilded.

As an aside, I'm certainly not an authority on UPS's, but I know there are 2 types. The Standby type and the Online type. The Standby type (which is usually the cheapest) passes your mains current through, and only when it detects a power failure, or a significant brown-out voltage, does it click over to the battery circuitry. The Online type uses the power supply to continually charge the batterties, while supplying power to the load using the battery circuitry.

As you can see, the standby type will do nothing for you to clean up 'dirty power', or minor voltage fluctuations. The Online type will do a much better job at protecting your equipment.

So..... be careful out there!

(then of course, there are the UPS's that modify a chopped waveform by using inductors and capacitors, and are nasty beasts in terms of audio, then those are the ones that generate a nice tidy sine wave.)

10%....? Not so sure about that.

I feel like we all spend so much time talking about 'dirty power' on our consoles. Why does it matter if we're not getting a perfect 60Hz, 120V sine wave into our digital console? In most, the first thing the power signal will do is go through a rectifier in the console's power supply anyway to turn it into DC!

In the 'old days' that would have been true, when we were using a hulk of a transformer and nice big capacitors. This is very resilient to power dips etc, because there is that big capacitor storing the energy for a second or two while the power recovers. Now days, most equipment comes out with switch mode supplies, which is full of electronics, and these tend to be more sensitive to the quality of the power supply.

I think though that there are two points of interest here, the one is power quality, and the other is keeping your console alive during a power outage, because your console might take a considerable amount of time to boot up when power is restored. If that is not a problem, or your console boots in 10 seconds, then the ony consideration for using a UPS will be power quality, and it might then be good enough to use a line conditioner to help address that issue.

I take it you didn't read the posts previous to your own.

Tim, I actually did read all the posts, because I was curious to see what others' thoughts were, and I have just re-read them. But I still don't understand what point you are trying to make? You believe that I have missed something, and perhaps I have, so would you be so kind as to clarify this....

(then of course, there are the UPS's that modify a chopped waveform by using inductors and capacitors, and are nasty beasts in terms of audio, then those are the ones that generate a nice tidy sine wave.)

Circuits made up of inductors and capacitors are normally known as "filters", an example of which might be a "lowpass filter". One use of a lowpass filter is to remove higher order harmonics, such as may be required to convert a square wave into a sine wave.

In the 'old days' that would have been true, when we were using a hulk of a transformer and nice big capacitors. This is very resilient to power dips etc, because there is that big capacitor storing the energy for a second or two while the power recovers. Now days, most equipment comes out with switch mode supplies, which is full of electronics, and these tend to be more sensitive to the quality of the power supply.

I think though that there are two points of interest here, the one is power quality, and the other is keeping your console alive during a power outage, because your console might take a considerable amount of time to boot up when power is restored. If that is not a problem, or your console boots in 10 seconds, then the ony consideration for using a UPS will be power quality, and it might then be good enough to use a line conditioner to help address that issue.

Switch mode power supplies have filter capacitors on the outputs, the same as the old iron linear power supplies. They just tend to be smaller because the frequency in question is on the order of tens of kilohertz, not 120hz. But there's no reason why a manufacturer couldn't add more storage to the output (and in fact, many SMPS units will ride through a brief power interruption).

As far as power quality goes, SMPS units tend to be more tolerant of voltage fluctuations than the old iron units, but more sensitive to excessive waveform distortion (transformers tend to function as filters). I believe I addressed some of this further up the thread.

Huge misconception..
the electronics that the newer power supplies are "full of" are there because the power supply is constantly adjusting its operation to ensure a consistent output voltage. That means that if there is a brief spike or dip the supply will automatically adjust (and it can react WAY faster than you can blink)
Spikes that would normally have to be absorbed by filter capacitors or sags that would have to be made up by draining the caps (in linear power supplies) are actively compensated for.

In fact, at one of my previous jobs designing and testing switching power supplies we actually had a jig that would toggle the input voltage of the supply.
we would run some of the converters off two supplies set to min and max allowable input voltages and use a function generator to toggle back and forth at anywhere from 1-30hz.
When we did so, there was a maximum allowable ripple spec for the output voltage. and that was usually a very tame ripple compared to what a linear supply would do under similar circumstances.

Jason

CyberPower unit; any word of caution?

I found this one for around $90 and I really like the form factor, since it may fit in a doghouse, or at least not need a roadcase :) Any specs seems worriesome? Only x32 and possibly computer and monitor will be run off this.

AVR Series - CP825AVRG

In the 'old days' that would have been true, when we were using a hulk of a transformer and nice big capacitors. This is very resilient to power dips etc, because there is that big capacitor storing the energy for a second or two while the power recovers.
A second or two? That is a relatively long time duration for a power supply loaded at rated power, with input power removed. Hold-up time seems independent of technology but a design consideration made for either.
Now days, most equipment comes out with switch mode supplies, which is full of electronics, and these tend to be more sensitive to the quality of the power supply.
Switching supplies can be made less sensitive to input power, often working world-wide from one design.

I don't know if digital console designers make a design effort to deal with temporary power outages, but keeping a central brain powered up, probably uses a small fraction of the total power budget, so smart management of drop-outs could allow the larger console to go dark briefly, while keeping the internal heart beating a little longer to avoid re-boot. You might still get a short drop out, but less offensive than a full boot-up. Depending on the product and your experience a UPS could be cheap insurance. Of course a cheap ups could be flaky insurance and another point of failure, part of life's ongoing IQ test.

JR

Depending on the product and your experience a UPS could be cheap insurance. Of course a cheap ups could be flaky insurance and another point of failure, part of life's ongoing IQ test.

JR

A few years back on PSW I was touting the virtues of UPS for digital consoles based on the *observation* that we stopped having issues with mixers when we put them on UPS. So a few weeks ago we were in the shop working on stuff and I got a look at the UPS of days gone by; it also had AVR (which oddly I'd never known). It was a surplus device that we replaced the batteries in, and sent it out after seeing it hold load in the shop. Upon reflection I think the feature that cleared up our issues was the AVR, not the battery supply.

Upon reflection I think the feature that cleared up our issues was the AVR, not the battery supply.

Great observation. AVR is a minimal requirement - otherwise most UPS's are "Stand By" - if they don't like the incoming power they switch to battery until it dies and then your dead!

Even better than AVR are "online" or "double conversion" UPS's - where the gear is powered off the batteries at all times by one inverter, and then a second inverter is constantly charging the batteries. I haven't tested some of the newer double conversion unites like the CyberPower units I currently use to see when the charging inverters cut out - but if they were conservative even with a double conversion unit you could end up with the same result as a cheap standby unit - in the dark even though you have "power" coming in. Hmm....