High output subwoofers.

Re: High output subwoofers.

Seriously now, how much would it cost to ship the matterhorn? (It's a shipping container for crying out loud.) Your customer is looking for an "experience" and the matterhorn is a one of a kind.
Depending on what you are "trying to accomplish" with the sub.

If you are looking for "punch", The Matterhorn would not be my first choice. But if you are looking SERIOUS low (as in down to 11Hz) below 50Hz, then there is no second choice.

So as with everything else- you FIRST have to determine exactly what you are looking for a speaker system to DO-THEN you look for what best fits. Different systems excel at different things

Depending on what you are "trying to accomplish" with the sub.

If you are looking for "punch", The Matterhorn would not be my first choice. But if you are looking SERIOUS low (as in down to 11Hz) below 50Hz, then there is no second choice.

So as with everything else- you FIRST have to determine exactly what you are looking for a speaker system to DO-THEN you look for what best fits. Different systems excel at different things

Perhaps the Matterhorn needs a companion midbass in a second 20' container, called the "Mont Collon". That is a real peak next to the Matterhorn, and a more apt name for a potential pair of speaker systems that could cause bodily function issues I could not have made up.

Best regards,

John

I would REALLY love to see or hear how a manufacturer actually "designs" a sub to work with their full range products-besides a physical (stacking or flying) aspect.

-If the designers intended for their LF cabs to be at a certain "place" in time and phase when their mid/highs are crossing out.
nothing major, but enough to screw up a gig if not compensated for -especially a one-off where truck-A meets truck-B from another direction and they try to combine together a system.

Much of this comes with my "unified system" belief. I appreciate whole systems the encompass the entire audio range and designed properly. Concentrating on 1 passband separate from the whole is not the best way.

The only issue would be whether the user just wants to use "presets" or if they have the knowledge/skill to actually do an alignment.

My knowledge and skill may be good, but it hardly can keep up with a manufacturer's million-dollar budget R&D department, collectively more years of experience behind it than I've been alive and with the absolute best of test and analysis equipment. Not to mention the hundreds of clients and operators feeding their results and wishes back to the R&D people as they use the rigs.
-Also I'm in the business of running a show, why do I want to waste my precious few man-hours of tuning time when thousands of hours have gone into it at the factory? There's already enough "alignment" work involved with getting even a "perfect system" into the performance space as it is
(This probably is one reason why "factory presets only" shows up on major riders)

It is an excuse I hear all the time-but I am not aware of any actual evidence to support it.

It would be no different than substituting a whole different midrange driver in a 3-way system, why is it any different at the top or bottom of the frequency range? In the old days we did this with stacks of different single-driver boxes -do we really want to go back to that?
As mentioned earlier, I'm in the business of running a show production, not in designing and building a speaker system at every event.
I think the phrase "re-inventing the wheel" but at every gig, would describe this process. (and I think we used to actually do that when I started out)

As far as I am concerned-use full range cabinets to do what they need to and subs to do what they need to-and just make sure you have enough overlap between them to work with. Without an overlap-you can start to run into issues. You can easily "throw things away-but if puts strains on gear to "add it in".

True, but if a system is actually designed for 18's to go from 30 to 120 and the mid/highs to go from 45 to 20K and you need ungodly amounts of bass then why not have all your 18's and 15's running properly and within limits from 45 to 120?
If the system was designed to do this then you are not going to damage anything. (It won't sound right, but this is EDM after all :)
Swap out the LF cabs with something totally different from another vendor and suddenly it might not work so well due to differences in phase or even something as simple as a polarity difference.

I think your at odds with my philosophy that a PA should be a cohesive unit working as essentially 2 fullrange sources that "subs" are added to for an effect, but lacking them won't end the show.
"Sub" to me means 40 and below, preferably with a solid 25 to 35 range. What most people have been calling "subs" are really just LF cabinets and are stuck in my mind as "bass bins" and probably came from when I started PA work with systems that got down to 50 if you were lucky!

I've seen so much of this EDM nonsense lately where they think a massive pile of true "subs" with no thought given to mids and highs is going to provide them with that chest-slamming tight hit they want. Yes you'll get a huge sensation of displacement, but no "hit" to precede it. Maybe that's what they are happy with, but actually listening to the recordings on decent studio monitors tells me it's not what they really want.

-

It would be no different than substituting a whole different midrange driver in a 3-way system, why is it any different at the top or bottom of the frequency range? In the old days we did this with stacks of different single-driver boxes -do we really want to go back to that?

"Sub" to me means 40 and below, preferably with a solid 25 to 35 range. What most people have been calling "subs" are really just LF cabinets and are stuck in my mind as "bass bins" and probably came from when I started PA work with systems that got down to 50 if you were lucky!

Swapping out a mid is an entirely different animal. Things like impedance-freq response-phase response-sensitivity can make a huge difference in how the cabinet performs with a different driver.

Now if you are only talking about using "presets" then I do agree-it can be pretty hard to just throw in a different cabinet and have it work as well. But I still hold by my statement-HOW WAS THE SUB DESIGNED TO WORK WITH THE TOP? It is just the DSP settings that allow that to happen-the actual sub design has little to nothing to do with it.

As far as having subs that are flat to 25 or 35 Hz-that is a VERY small number of cabinets. And I am not talking about spec sheets that SAY -3dB 35Hz. I am talking about ACTUAL PUBLISHED MEASUREMENTS that prove it-AND WITHOUT adding eq boosting on the low freq. That only robs you of headroom when you turn it up.

And any spec that "implies" that is TOTALLY LYING!!!!! Let's say you add a 6dB boost to a 1w/M (or 2.83V/1M) sensitivity to get the stated freq response. WELL the POWER at the point of boost is NOT LONGER 1 watt-but rather 4 watts!! So that 6dB HAS to be taken AWAY from the maximum output rating-because the driver will already be "out of gas" at the low freq (where it needs it the most) long before the rest of the driver is.

It is one thing to apply eq to pull DOWN the peak in the response-but QUITE ANOTHER to boost to make up for areas that are "lacking". You HAVE to look at the RAW response in order to get an idea of what the cabinet is capable of-NO MATTER what the simple spec sheet numbers say.

It seems like fewer and fewer manufacturers are providing actual measured data these days-they just want you to "believe" that what they are telling you is the truth.

In the case of TRUE 25Hz subs-it is a VERY small class indeed :)

Remember the "FUN" of firing up the McCauley's in that timber framed room in MA? I have never seen so many techs running away from a box with their hands clamped over their ears before or since. I believe I heard louder things while in the Army, but not by much.

But for the record, I really liked the sound (and feel) of the ADR JD21's.

Somewhere I have a picture of you with your hands over your ears with a dumbfounded look on your face from that night. I still remember the shit eating grin on Dave's face.

I'm pretty sure Jason Dermer can get you info and import ADR gear. Before I canned my Facebook Ales had some interesting posts on his current projects.

Sent from my neural implant

Somewhere I have a picture of you with your hands over your ears with a dumbfounded look on your face from that night. I still remember the shit eating grin on Dave's face.

I'm pretty sure Jason Dermer can get you info and import ADR gear. Before I canned my Facebook Ales had some interesting posts on his current projects.

Sent from my neural implant

I have to wonder if that was my normal dumbfounded look or a "just what have I walked into look". I had left a gig in South Carolina the day before, stopped briefly at home in Maryland, and then the next day driven to Massachusetts. I still had a lot of road whine in my ears, and had walked in literally minutes before all this was occurring.

Today it's a different game. Indoors in a suit doing a high-profile event. The amount of subwoofers here are 2, and they're turned way down :)

Not all my customers are subwoofer maniacs ;)

That is EXACTLY why myself and others insist on PROPER DETAILS for a SPECIFIC application. Some people "assume" that everybody has the same need as them-NOT.

There are all different kinds of different sound needs.

Coda Audio has a multi 18" (I think four cones/cabinet) that has different settings for different patterns.
Also it has direct feedback to the amp from the cones to make sure the signal is getting reproduced as intended.
They are high wattage affairs, and sound great. Max output 150db.

Coda Audio: Specification

Regards, Jack

I understand you bro EDM promoters are very ignorant, they thing the bigger the number the better, I lost alot of clients cause of this, they want 8 sub and full line array, on a 300-500 event.

First I thought you were working on a project where the client said "12 subs max, no more" and you wanted to get super-high-output subs to acheive enough SPL with "only" 12.

Now, you're saying "6 TH812 would be loud enough, but the client insists on the full amount of 12 subs regardless of brand".

Well, can't you just rent 12 of a sub that you can find locally in Norway that will play as loud as 6 TH812?

I'm confused...
I understand you bro EDM promoters are very ignorant, they thing the bigger the number the better, I lost alot of clients cause of this, they want 8 sub and full line array, on a 300-500 event.