hyper inflation in the USA?

Re: Who's pulling who's wheight?

I am not sure about the actual amount of the US defense budget but should be in the billion $ range. Is all that really necessary? Do you really think someone will ever try to invade USA? Or anything remotely close? All that money can be put to a much better use.

Re: hyper inflation in the USA?

This sort of subtle troll-speak is exactly why politics talk was banned on PSW, and will hopefully soon be banned here on Soundforums.net.

Makes me wish for a granular ignore feature, where I could ignore a users posts in one forum, but not another. That way I could continue to enjoy certain users helpful and educational sound-related posts, while not being bothered by their political trolling in the Basement. Or I guess I could just stop reading this section period and stick to posting in the Basement at PSW. Ugh! :(

I agree, that one sentence postscript to a long post was unkind to any who identify with and support those policies. I have deleted it.

For the record trolling is making inflammatory comments to stir up arguments, for the sake of argument. I don't intentionally do that but I guess I have crossed a line and struck a nerve. Political discussion gets ugly when it gets personal, people attacking people not attacking ideas. I'm sorry if it looks like I am attacking people here, I am genuinely angry about policies that IMO hurt the very people they are supposed to help.

This thread taking off in multiple directions other than the original topic can be considered evidence that either A) these are topics that multiple people feel strongly about that need airing out, or B) we need to pretend this stuff doesn't matter and keep this discord buried to fester in the dark only informed by partisan voices from one side or the other. I guess it doesn't matter that i don't consider myself overtly partisan (i am critical of all politicians). I apparently appear partisan to some.

I appear to have developed a special relationship with Pascal who has voiced his opposition to me on multiple forums (you can't win them all). I wish he could ignore me too, I bear him no personal enmity.

I broke my own rule to not speculate about things I can not know (like people's intentions) so mea culpa.

Finally i will leave most of the new offshoot responses unanswered since I don't want to wear out my welcome any more than I already have.

I feel the situation in Japan that is still unfolding deserves some more comment. The earthquake and tsunami there were once in a lifetime events and worst in their history. Experiencing a 6.0 aftershock is remarkable for any other country, but their building standards anticipate that level of seismic activity. The earthquake in Haiti (7.0) was almost two orders of magnitude (8.9) less powerful than Japan's. So the earthquake in Japan was nearly 100x greater, and Haiti lost over 200,000 souls. While japan is a massive tragedy it appears they will not suffer the loss of life that Haiti did, even with the far more damaging tsunami.

Onto the nuclear plants. At least one of them was running on re-purposed nuclear weapons material, IMO a much better use of those old bombs the world build in a crazier time. These power plants were 40 year old designs so while head and shoulders better than Chernobyl regarding robustness of a containment structure, there seems to be a failure in surrounding infrastructure, i.e. cooling pumps, battery and generator systems that were inadequate for the duration of this event, and/or damaged by the tsunami. It is still too early to assess the final outcome. Pumping corrosive sea water into the overheating plants, means a complete write off of that plant for future use. It is still a developing situation so I will leave my crystal ball covered this one time. I remain hopeful that he more robust containment building of this design because of what this is and where it was built will prevent a Chernobly (china syndrome) like event. They have already eclipsed 3 mile island for atmospheric venting. This is not the first nuclear industry accident in japan so they are aware of the dangers and accept them, in the future probably not as much, but they have some 50 commercial nuclear plants there, I don't see then shuttering them all. Ones that are several decades old, might benefit from upgrades to emergency cooling. I believe there are newer designs that use control rods between the fuel rods, to quench the reaction instead of just using water to cool and prevent meltdown. The world will learn from this event and re-evaluate safety of all the operating plants everywhere.

The don't expect real life to live up to the scary headlines being generated over this event. The loss of life and damage from the tsunami is enough of a disaster for japan to absorb.

Sorry if I offended anybody,, It was not my intent.

See you later.. maybe...

JR

I am not sure about the actual amount of the US defense budget but should be in the billion $ range. Is all that really necessary? Do you really think someone will ever try to invade USA? Or anything remotely close? All that money can be put to a much better use.

Hello,

It is the Defense Budget that is breaking this Country, and ruining the Value of the Dolllar. The U.S. Defense Budget is higher than the GNP of Canada, Brazil, or Spain, and all but 7 of the Top Producing Countries GNP of the World. The 2010 total Defense Budget was over 780 Billion Dollars. We could save half of that Budget by closing Military Bases that are not of consequence and by removing our soldiers from Afganistan, * "where they seem to be guarding the Opium crops of the Northern Alliance". * (quoted from the Wall Street Journal)

I'm sure there's a more productive use for 360 Billion Dollars.

Hammer

Hello Marjan,

I think you are spot on here. To my mind the US is much more vulnerable to economic take over than by pure force.

In an aside, there used to be a department of war. After changing the name to the Department of Defense they were able to get much more money.
I'm not sure what we are defending everywhere. Maybe those poppies Charles spoke of.

Regards, Jack

I appear to have developed a special relationship with Pascal who has voiced his opposition to me on multiple forums (you can't win them all). I wish he could ignore me too, I bear him no personal enmity.
Oh jeez JR! I have no opposition to you. I do have opposition to you unfairly attacking someone as opposed to attacking an idea, just like you did over on PSW. I'm not out to get you and in general I find many of your posts to be informative and helpful. However there are two things that regularly bother me about forums. One is discussion that just can't seem to rise above petty jabs or ad hominem attacks against others. The second is when new posters to a forum get attacked for making a point that the regulars consider wrong and unpopular. Early in my days on the LAB, I forwarded my beliefs about how phase slopes would effect the interaction between 2 different models of subs in a room and was immediately attacked by a large number of members who didn't agree with my point. In that case I was lucky and Tom Danley came to my rescue and validated my statement.

The point I'm trying to make is that by taking an adversarial stance in these sorts of discussions, we turn them into an argument instead of a civil discussion, create negative feels, and create division. Do we want new posters to leave this forum feeling like they were unfairly attacked, no matter how right or wrong their comments are? Or do we want them to feel like they were treated kindly and educated about the topic at hand, while giving them a fair chance to make their case? If we want this forum to expand and grow to include more posters from the massive ranks of those who lurk on these forums, then we need to be kind to those that post here. Otherwise they will leave and not come back.

PS I know what a troll is ;)
PPS You did jump the shark. Oil executives and investors will happily embrace higher oil prices, and will in fact fight for them just as much as the "treehuggers", if not more so.

Hello Mike,
You and Rob are of course right. There are other factors that are more encouraging though.
For example, a friend of my wife and his wife started a family. While before they were both working, now she stays home with the kids.
This was a purely economical decision, as the care for the kids was going to cost too much in relation to what she was bringing home.
So, she does not fall into the 9%, but does fall into the 17%.

Of a more positive note.
The rate in the public sector remains the same, or is slightly higher.
The rate in the private sector is dropping. And growth in the last couple of months has been hampered more by weather than by economics.

Regards, Jack

My problem with the stats is that it would appear that policy is being decided (and certainly public opinion) based on the U3 rate though those of us in the upper age groups who had good paying jobs till about 2005 are not desired employees in the tech world any longer but do not count in the list of those unemployed. These companies desire cheaper employees (or that is what it appears) even though the younger folk do not bring any experience with them and thus make many errors in judgment that a more experienced employee would make thus either saving the company money in the long run or making them more in the short term.
I sure don't know how they can know or not know if I am unemployed these days.

Oh jeez JR! I have no opposition to you. I do have opposition to you unfairly attacking someone as opposed to attacking an idea, just like you did over on PSW. I'm not out to get you and in general I find many of your posts to be informative and helpful. However there are two things that regularly bother me about forums. One is discussion that just can't seem to rise above petty jabs or ad hominem attacks against others. The second is when new posters to a forum get attacked for making a point that the regulars consider wrong and unpopular. Early in my days on the LAB, I forwarded my beliefs about how phase slopes would effect the interaction between 2 different models of subs in a room and was immediately attacked by a large number of members who didn't agree with my point. In that case I was lucky and Tom Danley came to my rescue and validated my statement.
I don't recall that event, and hope I wasn't guilty of shooting from the hip. It is my experience that the LAB usually gets it right eventually thanks to people like TD. That said it is frustrating to hear the endless repetition of misinformation that would take over like weeds if not pruned back.
The point I'm trying to make is that by taking an adversarial stance in these sorts of discussions, we turn them into an argument instead of a civil discussion, create negative feels, and create division. Do we want new posters to leave this forum feeling like they were unfairly attacked, no matter how right or wrong their comments are? Or do we want them to feel like they were treated kindly and educated about the topic at hand, while giving them a fair chance to make their case? If we want this forum to expand and grow to include more posters from the massive ranks of those who lurk on these forums, then we need to be kind to those that post here. Otherwise they will leave and not come back.
There is no place for abuse and ad hominum. Since I campaign against it, I take being accused of it pretty seriously.

It is possible to hold and argue an opposing viewpoint without degenerating into ad hominum. In fact it is a common strategy among partisan operatives when the facts aren't in their favor to attack the people instead and preventing more exposition of the facts.
PS I know what a troll is ;)
Then do you really believe I am trolling? or is this an emotionally charged attack knowing how I feel about it (or changing the subject?). You did get my attention.
PPS You did jump the shark. Oil executives and investors will happily embrace higher oil prices, and will in fact fight for them just as much as the "treehuggers", if not more so.
I will try to not pretend I know everybody's motives. I am a believer in the old saw, "follow the money". Yes the oil industry can make a larger profit from higher oil prices, but only "IF" they can pass those cost increases along to the consumer. The only modest drop in demand in light of these price increases, supports my old (unpopular) statements that oil was still relatively cheap. It is worth note that the oil industry also buys oil at international prices, so that per barrel price and profit goes to the producing nations, or is shared with them in nationalized development projects. The oil companies are regulated and taxed, and owned by public shareholders so that profit on higher margins flows through to the public owners. We all benefit from availability of low cost energy. We can debate feeling guilty for how much we use proportionately, but relatively low cost energy is good for the entire world economy, employment and us. High oil prices disproportionately benefit, alternative energy industries, and oil producing nations who get the bulk of that high oil price.

In recent years a huge amount of tax dollars have been channeled into alternate energy ventures that only make sense if oil (and fossil fuels) run out quickly or remains silly expensive. Oil exploration and extraction technology (despite the occasional glitch, like BP with their known bad safety record), has progressed dramatically and we have more NG than we can use (at the moment). Massive new oil finds are occurring too, not to mention areas we haven't even seriously started developing (polar regions). The economic cost to get oil out of the ground is nowhere near the current $100 barrel, so a fair free market price for that oil is a fraction of the current $100. The OPEC cartel is happy because others are doing their work for them... if anything in a strange irony, they are trying to keep oil prices from rising too high and causing demand destruction and/or more drilling. Once they lose control over marginal supply, they lose control over all prices.

As I mentioned before, I was breaking my own rules to speculate about motives, but there are several different groups that benefit from high oil prices, while the public loses. These high prices are a major sea anchor on economic growth, almost as bad as the regulatory uncertainty. So I remain perplexed by policy that works against lower cost oil and higher economic growth and employment.

=====

Finally regarding my tone.. you are entitled to you opinion, but if you think I am abrasive and prone to ad hominum, I wish you were around for 5 minutes of the early days of PSW. This web forum phenomena is relatively recent, and to have any access to real working professionals is a remarkable gift. It is a shame to see even more drop out, for whatever reasons.

I try to deal with fact and not wishful thinking, or how we would like the world to be. The world is ugly and mean.

Good luck. If I get voted off this island, I can keep myself plenty busy.

JR

I don't recall that event, and hope I wasn't guilty of shooting from the hip. It is my experience that the LAB usually gets it right eventually thanks to people like TD. That said it is frustrating to hear the endless repetition of misinformation that would take over like weeds if not pruned back.
You were not involved but that's not the point. And yes it is frustrating to hear incorrect info posted over and over. Getting agro and stomping all over people is not going to fix that issue at all, and will only drive otherwise potentially beneficial posters away from our community.
There is no place for abuse and ad hominum. Since I campaign against it, I take being accused of it pretty seriously.

It is possible to hold and argue an opposing viewpoint without degenerating into ad hominum. In fact it is a common strategy among partisan operatives when the facts aren't in their favor to attack the people instead and preventing more exposition of the facts.

Then do you really believe I am trolling? or is this an emotionally charged attack knowing how I feel about it (or changing the subject?). You did get my attention.
Actually you are the one who changed the subject, bringing up my issue with your posts on another forum, where I do feel your comments had a tinge of ad hominem and were a unprovoked assault on behalf of the internet crusades. And yes, I do believe your now deleted post to be a subtle troll.
Finally regarding my tone.. you are entitled to you opinion, but if you think I am abrasive and prone to ad hominum, I wish you were around for 5 minutes of the early days of PSW. This web forum phenomena is relatively recent, and to have any access to real working professionals is a remarkable gift. It is a shame to see even more drop out, for whatever reasons.

I try to deal with fact and not wishful thinking, or how we would like the world to be. The world is ugly and mean.
Yes the world can be a tough place, and continuing to behave in that manner, you only perpetuate the ugly and mean that you see out there. I've read plenty of the archives and I'm a scarred veteran of the flame wars myself. Back then it was the Wild West, but we don't live in those times anymore. Being a dick is no longer an asset to the community. Keep it up and you will continue to be called out for it.

Yes the world can be a tough place, and continuing to behave in that manner, you only perpetuate the ugly and mean that you see out there. I've read plenty of the archives and I'm a scarred veteran of the flame wars myself. Back then it was the Wild West, but we don't live in those times anymore. Being a dick is no longer an asset to the community. Keep it up and you will continue to be called out for it.

Hello Pascal,

Not really interested in getting involved in the middle of a Forum fight....but, in these last few posts, you portray yourself as a victim and make the complaint/suggestion along the lines of... we're better than this... we need to police ourselves for the sake of the community.... the new poster will be turned off.....etc.... yet, you still have to take the last swipe... Now who's being a dick?

Hammer

I am "subtly" apologetic. I do apologize to the community for my part in wasted bandwidth about things other than the topic.

=====

The subject of different measures of unemployment is at least as complex as the different measures of inflation. One general comment that shouldn't be too controversial is that many spot employment reports are extrapolated from incomplete data and inaccurate, often resulting in significant corrections later in either direction when more reliable data comes in, so don't try to read too much precision into these fast and loose employment numbers.

To tie this back to hyper inflation (remember that?) there is not complete agreement over what number should constitute full employment (for which benchmark?) so using employment level as a metric to drive monetary policy could get interesting... "are we there yet?"

I guess at near 9% it's safe to say we aren't at full employment, but if loose monetary policy hasn't worked yet, when is it expected to do it's magic? What if it can't fix the employment problem (as some believe)? We could end up creating another bubble in some other asset class.

I would like to see more precision in exactly what the fed is supposed to be managing against. Throwing liquidity at imprecisely defined "full" employment and/or inflation benchmarks with measures that don't include food or energy. Seems like they have more than enough rope to get in trouble, as they have before (dot com bubble, housing bubble, next bubble?).

JR

note: in fairness the fed is not responsible alone for the housing bubble, they had lots of help from all corners.

Hello Pascal,
Not really interested in getting involved in the middle of a Forum fight....but, in these last few posts, you portray yourself as a victim and make the complaint/suggestion along the lines of... we're better than this... we need to police ourselves for the sake of the community.... the new poster will be turned off.....etc.... yet, you still have to take the last swipe... Now who's being a dick?
Hi Charlie,
I'm not trying to cast myself as the poor abused soul. Like I said I was vindicated at the time, many years ago. Simply that getting slammed for a potentially erroneous post isn't going to make any new friends, which is exactly what we need to do to create a successful forum.

As far as taking the last "swipe", I was simply responding to JR's direct questions of and comments directed at me. I realize this is pretty far off topic and I'm happy to take it to pm if the conversation needs to continue.

Last edited:

Hello Pascal,

Although I had previously read every post in this thread, I apparently missed something. Direct and simple answers seem the best solution when a Politically charged topic(s) is discussed. This whole thread, after re-reading was chock-full (a slang term I seem to be using a lot lately) of Politically pointed topics. Much of the topic misdirection was my fault.

In any of the topics discussed ...there are no easy answers. As Engineers, we're taught that our science and it's outcome is strictly a Black / White scenario. In Politics...it's usually win/lose, and with some gray area. The best hoped-for outcome is that the least amount get hurt.

In regards to personal attacks, I can only be responsible for what I post, and I'll promise to direct any anger to something outside of the Forum. My Apologies to any of my transgressions.

Hope Ya'll get a good night's sleep, things can be different in the morning.

Hammer

Hope Ya'll get a good night's sleep, things can be different in the morning.
Hammer

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!
Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!
When I'm stuck a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh
The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!

I'm with you about increasing drilling here... It is inexplicable to me that we don't.

One reason to not drill here is that oil is still relatively cheap here. Nearly no other energy source touches it for portable energy (without major government subsidies) . Battery technology may get good enough to power automobiles, but semi trucks, trains, and planes will be using oil for the foreseeable future. Yeah, the price is higher than it was... but so is gold against nearly all currencies.

Once imported oil prices start to rise to the point that other technologies become more competitive, then drilling and using our own oil makes sense... or maybe by then, we will have other portable energy sources and we can sell that oil to the rest of the world at a profit.

The website that Bennett posted had some interesting graphs tying consumer prices to spikes in oil prices... as basically everything gets that cost built in, raw materials, wholesale distribution, and then finally end product distribution (plus you pay more to go to the store and buy it, or have it shipped directly to you). That said, we *do* need to solve the portable energy problem. I'm confident that nuclear power plants could possibly augment or aid in entirely replacing our diesel-electric rail infrastructure. But we still transport a lot of goods via trucks and planes, two things that don't take well to batteries. Small nuclear power devices might someday replace IC and Jet engines but I think the regulatory aspects make it prohibitive to invest in.

We all know Hydrogen is really just a battery, and other battery technologies are getting better but just aren't there yet (especially for bigger vehicles). Additionally, fully electric and rechargeable hybrids still have the same hurdle (for large scale distribution) as electric rail does... power infrastructure capacity. We need *a lot* more power plants if this is going to work. Current generating capacity in the US is something like 800 GW. When you figure that the average automobile uses about 16 MWh of energy per year we have a long long way to go (granted, using purely electric propulsion, efficiency would go from something like 25% to the high 80s or low 90s, and maybe more with regenerative braking.

One reason to not drill here is that oil is still relatively cheap here. Nearly no other energy source touches it for portable energy (without major government subsidies) . Battery technology may get good enough to power automobiles, but semi trucks, trains, and planes will be using oil for the foreseeable future. Yeah, the price is higher than it was... but so is gold against nearly all currencies.

Once imported oil prices start to rise to the point that other technologies become more competitive, then drilling and using our own oil makes sense... or maybe by then, we will have other portable energy sources and we can sell that oil to the rest of the world at a profit.

The website that Bennett posted had some interesting graphs tying consumer prices to spikes in oil prices... as basically everything gets that cost built in, raw materials, wholesale distribution, and then finally end product distribution (plus you pay more to go to the store and buy it, or have it shipped directly to you). That said, we *do* need to solve the portable energy problem. I'm confident that nuclear power plants could possibly augment or aid in entirely replacing our diesel-electric rail infrastructure. But we still transport a lot of goods via trucks and planes, two things that don't take well to batteries. Small nuclear power devices might someday replace IC and Jet engines but I think the regulatory aspects make it prohibitive to invest in.

We all know Hydrogen is really just a battery, and other battery technologies are getting better but just aren't there yet (especially for bigger vehicles). Additionally, fully electric and rechargeable hybrids still have the same hurdle (for large scale distribution) as electric rail does... power infrastructure capacity. We need *a lot* more power plants if this is going to work. Current generating capacity in the US is something like 800 GW. When you figure that the average automobile uses about 16 MWh of energy per year we have a long long way to go (granted, using purely electric propulsion, efficiency would go from something like 25% to the high 80s or low 90s, and maybe more with regenerative braking.

I don't want to piss away all of our oil when we can still buy it cheap, but right now there isn't a free market for world oil. there is a cartel actively working to maintain a price several times their cost. I sure would like to influence this marginal supply, to break the cartel and push the world price closer to the true economic cost to extract that oil. So we would still be buying a lot of oil, but paying a lot less...

Note: this is easier to say than do. Demand for oil in developing countries is growing faster than we can slow our use, or easily add supply. IMO it would take more than just restarting drilling to get on top of marginal supply.

re: transportation, I still think we are missing the boat by not exploiting natural gas. This is already used for transportation in other regions. Even just using this for fleet vehicles would help in the margin, and converting heavy trucking would help a bunch.

While fuel cells are another science fair project , I think you can even run fuel cells on NG, but I don't expect you would get a drinking water pure exhaust product. You can probably crack NG to get hydrogen, but again, probably less efficient than just burning the NG.

New power plants are already taking advantage of the surfeit of NG, but indeed the elephant in the room for electric cars is that the power still needs to be generated somehow. For now there is enough off peak capacity to absorb the small volume, and if these were sold at actual cost without taxpayer subsidies, we wouldn't need to worry about generation capacity for a long time.

I just want some common sense applied, not typical, politically correct, feel good policies, that don't add up.

As Phil mentioned there are a new generation of safer (smaller) nuclear power plants, but we are generally not receptive to lots of smaller nuclear power plants in more of our own back yards, or increasing several fold the number of nuclear sites to worry about. Looking at the situation in japan, it seems like these new generation nukes would be an ideal solution for their future needs, but the odds of them expanding their nuclear footprint for the moment at least looks pretty slender.

JR

I think we should make them listen to the disgustingly sweet musical "Annie" until they go crazy.. or crazier, depending on one's perspective.

Easier to clean up after than bombs.

This "tongue in cheek" posting brought to you by a Victim of Flat View Posting.