ice, ice, baby

Re: ice, ice, baby

I just got back from Brazil yesterday, only to be greeted with ice everywhere today! Here in Ohio, there's a nice coating of ice on everything. Spent 30 minutes this morning de-icing the girlfriend's car and getting her out of the driveway... It's a mess out there!

Evan

Evan, there's more coming your way. We're supposed to get hit harder today again. Should be an interesting next few days.

I'm up in NH helping my father out around the house... been snowing (lightly) since 7 a.m., probably laid 4'' down. It's supposed to get very heavy tomorrow and give us a few feet, which will be fun. It's 10°F out right now, and will be -5 or so tonight, so we're not going to have the ''sheet of ice covered in a foot of show'' problems they will further south. I like weathering the weather in NH, we have three AWD vehicles with hard service winter tires, and a 30HP tractor with a snow blower on the front.

Just as long as the Internet doesn't cut out...

Here in West Texas we awoke with a small bit of ice on our windshields, and the authorities are just now getting the looting under control.
icon_twisted.gif

I'm up in NH helping my father out around the house... been snowing (lightly) since 7 a.m., probably laid 4'' down. It's supposed to get very heavy tomorrow and give us a few feet, which will be fun. It's 10°F out right now, and will be -5 or so tonight, so we're not going to have the ''sheet of ice covered in a foot of show'' problems they will further south. I like weathering the weather in NH, we have three AWD vehicles with hard service winter tires, and a 30HP tractor with a snow blower on the front.

Just as long as the Internet doesn't cut out...

How long are you up for?

Hello,

It's 20 deg here in Dallas, and a really crappy looking sky.

Better than being in Michigan's 0 degree temp and expecting 12'' of snow. (god... I hate snow)

Should have a high temp of 62 deg by saturday. (did I mention I hate snow?)

I'm hoping we don't lose electrical power back in Michigan. (yes, I hate snow)

Cheers, and hating snow...even in Dallas.

Hammer

Updated: Downgraded the Weather Forecast for Saturday.
icon_cry.gif

I hate snow!

We want a picture of the tractor.

Bennett's tractor picture was here

That's a big engine for a small tractor.

Mine is a 4X4 21HP diesel. Tractor, blower, and weight box are close to 3000 lbs. It's pretty unstoppable in snow, but the blower taxes the engine a bit; either that or I'm just too impatient.

As of about 2 weeks ago I have burned more fuel snowblowing the driveway this year than mowing all last season, which is saying something as my yard is an 1.5 acres. Only 3 more months of winter to go...

Ooh! I'm jealous, wish I had that larger wheelbase, ground clearance, and tires. It sounds like a big engine, but it's gas, so it doesn't really have that much get up and go. She'll chew through almost anything if you're patient enough. One year, many years ago, we got two feet overnight. I had to goose the carb into ''choke'' a little to make up the power, but I got through the whole driveway in one tank of gas.

Ooh! I'm jealous, wish I had that larger wheelbase, ground clearance, and tires. It sounds like a big engine, but it's gas, so it doesn't really have that much get up and go. She'll chew through almost anything if you're patient enough. One year, many years ago, we got two feet overnight. I had to goose the carb into ''choke'' a little to make up the power, but I got through the whole driveway in one tank of gas.

I've heard there's ''gas horsepower'', and ''diesel horsepower''. I'll take your word for it.

My tractor burns a bit more than a gallon an hour at full throttle. The 6 gallon tank lasts about 5 hours.

I have three implements - the 60'' mower deck, the 48'' blower, and the front end loader with 54'' bucket. Any tractor is a compromise. The tractor and mower deck are well matched, but it's not as good as a zero-turn mower. For the blower, I'd like more horsepower. It gets the job done, but if I have more than about 4'' of fairly wet snow I'm moving fairly slow. With the bucket, I've got horsepower to spare, but the limiting factors are the weight of the tractor, traction, and lifting capacity of the bucket.

A Bobcat for dirt and snow work and a zero-turn for mowing would cover the bases better than what I have, but that would have been at least $10K more than my tractor cost, and two machines in the garage instead of one. It's funny - until very recently, my tractor was worth more than all 3 of our vehicles combined.

I just got back from Brazil yesterday, only to be greeted with ice everywhere today! Here in Ohio, there's a nice coating of ice on everything. Spent 30 minutes this morning de-icing the girlfriend's car and getting her out of the driveway... It's a mess out there!

Wouldn't it have been better to just fly the girlfriend to Brazil? I'm sure you have enough miles and points by now, no?