Jbl stx828s

Frank Dwyer

Freshman
Dec 29, 2011
Has anyone used the STX 828S, I am in need of some double 18" subs, custom shop double 18" is now to much $$$$ for me.

Frank Dwyer

Re: Jbl stx828s

I like the 728's but no casters and to low to ground stack hi pack's

I'm not sure any one here would think this a valid excuse. Many just use a hand dolly, but the majority build their own caster boards. Most stack two subs on a caster board and roll. I know of one soundco that does three 728's on a caster board.

As far as not high enough, They aren't that bad on end, but if you stack two or three together you'll get plenty of height.

Silas have you heard the new boxes yet?

The new boxes use the same drivers that existed in the 90s in the SR-X series and the like. The SR4719X was a good sub that used the 2241, and the new STX828S uses the better 2242 from back then. There is someone on this forum that has custom subs using the 2242 driver, I'm sure they sound good.

JBL makes great sub drivers. These new subs use old, but good, drivers and while the box design does contribute significantly to the overall performance of the product, I wouldn't expect anything miraculous from these.

However, the full range products in the series are supposed to use greybox tunings like Vertec V5 with Itech HD, so I expect that they will sound very good, even using the old drivers.

PS - My SRX728S are working hard and I have zero intention of replacing them.

PPS- I don't want fixed casters anyway, because when I make cardioid or endfire arrays things become ugly or impossible. Wheels also get in the way when I have to back the sub up to a stage or wall.

PPPS- 728 is 3 inches shorter on its side. That should not be a make-or-break difference.

Last edited:

yes, they sound good. They are very efficient and have excellent response in the 40-60hz range. Demoed them vs some other custom speakers and they had the thump where you would expect with a 2242h.

yes, they sound good. They are very efficient and have excellent response in the 40-60hz range. Demoed them vs some other custom speakers and they had the thump where you would expect with a 2242h.

Hanoud Associates, Raul from JBL and a group of Vertec owners met at Image Productions in Worchester today for a training session and during a break we discussed the 828 and nobody knew to much about them, so they decided to send me a pair to test. Raul did mention that the added casters was a great idea. Soon as I get them I will put them up against my custom shop for full review.

Frank Dwyer

Hanoud Associates, Raul from JBL and a group of Vertec owners met at Image Productions in Worchester today for a training session and during a break we discussed the 828 and nobody knew to much about them, so they decided to send me a pair to test. Raul did mention that the added casters was a great idea. Soon as I get them I will put them up against my custom shop for full review.

Frank Dwyer

I'm complaining to Paul and Steve that I wasn't invited!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

STXs are quite good, very nice step up from SRX although heavy as previously stated. They greatly benefit from bi wiring.

I've had the chance to mix on the 828's a few times now. They are pretty good. Nothing like the 4719's even thought they use a similar driver. The 828's have a MUCH better cabinet. They are bigger and stiffer than any low end JBL sub that has come before it. This gives it a noticeable advantage in the lower end of it's range.

Basically it goes like this....

4719's decent all around, but just not that loud.
SRX728's were loud and able to handle crap loads of power. Plenty of upper bass, but not much low end.
STX828's Less upper bass, but quite a bit more usable lower bass. Plenty loud. Handles power just fine, but doesn't seem as power hungry as the 7xx series.

Here is a measurement done of a SRX728S and a STX828s. These measurements were taken outside. Measured the 728s, then put the STX828 in its place and unmuted. Only thing that changed was the speaker. Driven by an IT-12000HD running the VT4880 80 V4 preset.

The SRX728S has more output in the 30Hz-50Hz range. The STX828S has more output in the 55Hz-75Hz range. They are similar around 30Hz and the 728 has an advantage below 30Hz and from 80Hz-100Hz.

SRX728S = Blue
STX828S = Red

1668550044354.png

Here is a measurement done of a SRX728S and a STX828s. These measurements were taken outside. Measured the 728s, then put the STX828 in its place and unmuted. Only thing that changed was the speaker. Driven by an IT-12000HD running the VT4880 80 V4 preset.

The SRX728S has more output in the 30Hz-50Hz range. The STX828S has more output in the 55Hz-75Hz range. They are similar around 30Hz and the 728 has an advantage below 30Hz and from 80Hz-100Hz.

SRX728S = Blue
STX828S = Red

View attachment 209661

There used to be pre-sets for the "SRX728" in the Itech, it was under the VRX group.