Listening Get Together

Leland Crooks

Freshman
Mar 1, 2011
Kansas
www.speakerhardware.com
Yale, OK, Feb 23rd. Saturday February 23rd - 1:00pm-5:00pm At the gym behind the high school on Hwy 51. Live music provided by The Jake Moffat Band Jake Moffat Band :: Home to run the systems, we'll also do recorded. That night we'll run sound for the Jake Moffat band at an area popular venue.

So far we have a JBL system, a BFM system (I know, don't start) assorted bass cabs, I'll be bringing the new BigE system for it's introduction to the world. I'd like to see some more higher end gear show up.

re: Listening Get Together

From their site: :D~:-D~:grin:

"Manipulated Vortex Waveguide [SUP]tm[/SUP] is an electro-mechanical system that harvests and reuses the energy from the back of the loudspeaker transducer.
  • Basic Theory
    Force tuning of the transducer does not occur.

Audio transducers are mounted in either cross-fired or single in a scoop configuration in order to provide better driver loading and dispersion.

Energy from the rear of the transducers is harvested, fractured and re-energized inside the Vortex Waveguide system.

Each fractured segment is time shifted in the waveguide prior to release in the output flare port where it is encapsulated by the output energy stream. The time shifted packets of auditory information are summed with the output of the front of the transducers in the scoop area.

The resulting multi-time-shifting signal exits the front of the cabinet encapsulated in the bass energy stream. This causes the creation of a nearfield event horizon. The resulting auditory information emulates sound creation in nature.

The de-correlated packeted information is summed by brain of the listener into correlated auditory information, as is done in nature. The multitude of of slightly time shifted audio packets created are reflection resistant and more natural sounding due to the manner in which the information is transmitted to the listener.

The Vortex Event Horizon provides an expanded nearfield effect allowing more efficient transmission of information to a larger audience area. This also provides the ability of the MVW loudspeaker to transmit auditory information beyond line of sight with minimal loss. The Vortex Event Horizon will wrap around objects, obstructions, and up to boundaries providing a self-adjusting nature to the nearfield.

All the factors combine to provide a very dynamic, efficient, articulate, and natural sounding output to the listening audience."

Beam me up Scotty!

From their site: :D~:-D~:grin:

"Manipulated Vortex Waveguide [SUP]tm[/SUP] is an electro-mechanical system that harvests and reuses the energy from the back of the loudspeaker transducer.
  • Basic Theory
    Force tuning of the transducer does not occur.

Big ol' snip

Beam me up Scotty!

"We're making up audio-babble to distract you from the patent infringement." ;)

Naw, I don't know quite what to think of the BigE. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Last edited:

GTG means get together. And yes, the hyperbole from the BigE designers is a little crazy. But when you invent something new you get to name it. They are different, it is a new alignment. The inside of the cab is like nothing else out there. TBH, these are the responses I expected. All I ask is a listen, bring whatever measuring gear you like. A gym was purposely chosen to get about the worst acoustics we could find to demo them. We had access to a fine auditorium, and passed.

If you'd like more info from users the bass cabs are on the market now. Big E Speakers - TalkBass Forums It's a long thread, farther in you'll find user reviews. I've yet to have anybody in my shop for a listen that just was not blown away. Audiophiles, sound guys, regular people. The audiophile told me he was going home to put his foot through his DCM's and Martin Logans.

I've told Tim some of the crazy that happens with these cabs. I'd rather he not share it until he hears/measures some.
I suspect Dr. Who is looking for them..
Aahaha. The designers and I are all huge Dr Who fans from way back when.

Last edited:

JonE.jpg

Edit: I get really suspicious when something markets itself as a line array but looks like this:
LC8.png

Hopefully some forum members close by can check them out and fill us in.

Edit: I get really suspicious when something markets itself as a line array but looks like this:

That box is more of a downfill cab. Also sounds amazing as a standalone cab.
The reason they market it as a "Line Array in a box" is because it exhibits some effects of a line array.
SPL only drops <3db per doubling of distance, similar to a line array, instead of the usual 6db from a single cab.
I have heard it in person and measured it myself

To what frequency does it exhibit this effect? I'm admittedly not an expert, I'm sure others here can jump in and clarify if I'm missing something, but I do know my Line Array 101 and the marketing just doesn't seem to jive.

The reason they market it as a "Line Array in a box" is because it exhibits some effects of a line array.
SPL only drops <3db per doubling of distance, similar to a line array, instead of the usual 6db from a single cab.
I have heard it in person and measured it myself

To what distance/frequency? This is merely a function of the size of the radiating area of the cabinet (all boxes have this phenomenon to some extent, it's why most reputable manufacturers don't measure at 1m).

To what distance/frequency? This is merely a function of the size of the radiating area of the cabinet (all boxes have this phenomenon to some extent, it's why most reputable manufacturers don't measure at 1m).

I measured out to about 300' with a db meter. Although I didn't measure frequencies, it still sounded the same at that distance.

Wow, it always baffles me how people are so judgmental and are always experts on things they know nothing about.
I'm trying to have a friendly conversation and tell you what I observed and... well... I see no need to be rude about things.
Of course I had test equipment there and used it in other tests, I just did not feel like dragging everything out 300' for that particular one.
Just stating what I observed at 300'. It sounded great and the drop in volume was not what was expected.

Of course the inventors have taken extensive measurements, but I was just speaking from my point of view.