Listening Get Together

Re: Listening Get Together

Here is an interesting quote from one of the "official builders"

Apparently the coverage pattern changes with level. So that means that in a church setting-the Pastor is going to have a hard time getting people to hear-but the band will be just fine?

And this is a "good thing"????????

So different parts of the show will sound different depending on where you are seated? I guess the band better not play any quiet slow songs-------------

"The MVW system creates a defined sound field that changes in size with the amount of power applied. There's boundary that's very apparent when running a system outside, or in a large venue. For example, running 4 2x8 prototype cabs per side at an outside show last year the engineer and I were walking the venue prior to the show with low power running. About 30ft from the stage you would take a couple of steps and the sound would just drop, at least 6db. During the show while the cabs were running up to power, that boundary effect had moved out approximately 300ft from the stage."

Here is an interesting quote from one of the "official builders"

Apparently the coverage pattern changes with level. So that means that in a church setting-the Pastor is going to have a hard time getting people to hear-but the band will be just fine?

And this is a "good thing"????????

So different parts of the show will sound different depending on where you are seated? I guess the band better not play any quiet slow songs-------------

"The MVW system creates a defined sound field that changes in size with the amount of power applied. There's boundary that's very apparent when running a system outside, or in a large venue. For example, running 4 2x8 prototype cabs per side at an outside show last year the engineer and I were walking the venue prior to the show with low power running. About 30ft from the stage you would take a couple of steps and the sound would just drop, at least 6db. During the show while the cabs were running up to power, that boundary effect had moved out approximately 300ft from the stage."

I can't believe this thread is continuing. It should have just died where it did. Until someone has some polar plots of the box, maybe versus input power ??? , what the heck? I thought the article in Voice Coil was kind of odd anyway compared to other patent reviews. Thanks Bennett. If Big E wanted to send me a box for measurement I would be more than happy to do it, just to end all of this ;-)

That was you?
You are a better man than I... Time to throw away all the anechoic chambers and SMART test gear.
JR

Nope - Not what I mean. Most of the stuff I saw was already through the ringer by guys like you. Only when the crossover networks choked the life out of the design was I off in my expectation of how it would sound. Not measure, sound and to me. You have to know what I am talking about. Me and a few good friends of mine would sit down and talk about trying to make a monitor with this driver and that horn on that design box and never have to build one cause we would just know it would suck.

In fact we had a pair of the Sony refrigerators, you know the one that was a 4 way design with the square drivers for each band pass. $12K for these and I knew they were going to sound just like they did. A $12,000 dog pile on the floor. I biamped them with some Krell mono's and sold them to a doctor. He loved how they tried to move his foundation to another zip code. I was glad to see them gone.

I admire these guys for sticking to their dream but if this product comes to mass market they will have to prove the design. There isn't any smoke and mirrors left in sound these days. They got some incredible constructive advice from you folks, and some hits and are still ticking.

The best investment they can make now it to buy a SMAART system before they clear any more forests and tune what they have.

Ages ago I signed an NDA with them and was supposed to receive cabs to measure and evaluate. I have heard nothing since and have seen no cabs. This thread surprised me, I figured things didn't move forward.

Much detailed evaluation needs to be done, and the longer they go without this the more cynical the already sceptical people will become. I have many concerns but was willing to listen and try to look at it objectively and minimizing bias. That offer stands.

Last edited:

What measurements?

Well you do have to flip forward in the 'magazine' I don't know how to link directly to it.

edit. And they don't show anything I'd be proud to write home about. Just another average +/-4dB response with a pretty terrible off-axis response.
So there you go. But they did say it gets way better if you turn it up loud :)

Last edited: