Mackie m1400 amps. Any good? Reliable?

Re: Mackie m1400 amps. Any good? Reliable?

Unfortunately some of us have to sacrifice weight to affordability and practicality. My amps are heavy. Very heavy. But They got the job done and are extremely reliable. Oh yeah they paid for themselves too.

Unfortunately some of us have to sacrifice weight to affordability and practicality. My amps are heavy. Very heavy. But They got the job done and are extremely reliable. Oh yeah they paid for themselves too.

And 30 years from now, when you're my age, you'll be looking at 10# amps and wondering why they're so big and heavy and wondering why you ever put up with the big iron EVs. Trust me.

And really, Evan, that's why I posted what I did. When I was your age I made a conscious decision to trade size & weight for price. At the time it made sense, partly because the advances in materials and technology we enjoy today were just emerging back then; they were very expensive and there was no such thing as "used."

Any gear that is paid for and goes out enough to cover its overhead is worth keeping. This Mackie thread is the perfect example. If the price is right it *can* balance the weight and age factors. The trick is getting the value out of them early in the ownership and then selling them off when they don't go out more than a couple times a year.

And 30 years from now, when you're my age, you'll be looking at 10# amps and wondering why they're so big and heavy and wondering why you ever put up with the big iron EVs. Trust me.

And really, Evan, that's why I posted what I did. When I was your age I made a conscious decision to trade size & weight for price. At the time it made sense, partly because the advances in materials and technology we enjoy today were just emerging back then; they were very expensive and there was no such thing as "used."

Any gear that is paid for and goes out enough to cover its overhead is worth keeping. This Mackie thread is the perfect example. If the price is right it *can* balance the weight and age factors. The trick is getting the value out of them early in the ownership and then selling them off when they don't go out more than a couple times a year.

And I can fully agree with that. Trust me even now, at 24 there are occasions where I get done moving everything I wished I had lighter amps. Then I start looking around and I just cant swing it. Thats where Ive got to get creative in moving things, especially by myself, after Afghanistan I cannot lift as well as I used to.

One day I am sure I will upgrade to lighter amps, but for now its not feasible. Nearly all my gear has made money at this point and thats the way Id like to keep it till I get more business.

lol...

I don't really care how they compare power-wise. Only really interested in if they will shit the bed on me on a regular basis. A couple hundred watts per channel is fine for what I want them for, and honestly the guy's asking 150 bucks a piece for these amps. And since I need some amps......

+1 on that. I own and owned ton of Mackie stuff over the years, from huge SR40-8 40-channel mixer to venerable SRM450s (currently have 12 of 450s). I have couple of 1400i too. Mackies let me build an easy scalable sound system, complimenting QSC 3-way mains and JBL SRX728s subs, from piano bar to hip-hop DJ gig in a school gym. Yes, it's not QSC PLX, but hell, for the price of one QSC 3402 I can have three Mackies! Same with 450s, for the price of one QSC K12 you can get 3-4 450s (Used V1), that will be hell of louder and with proper EQ and compression will sound better. Makes easier to impress a clients too, instead of two K12 you can show 6-8 450s.

+1 on that. I own and owned ton of Mackie stuff over the years, from huge SR40-8 40-channel mixer to venerable SRM450s (currently have 12 of 450s). I have couple of 1400i too. Mackies let me build an easy scalable sound system, complimenting QSC 3-way mains and JBL SRX728s subs, from piano bar to hip-hop DJ gig in a school gym. Yes, it's not QSC PLX, but hell, for the price of one QSC 3402 I can have three Mackies! Same with 450s, for the price of one QSC K12 you can get 3-4 450s (Used V1), that will be hell of louder and with proper EQ and compression will sound better. Makes easier to impress a clients too, instead of two K12 you can show 6-8 450s.

I assume you aren't lifting this stuff, or maybe you are still young.

Sent from my SCH-I545

If I were 30 years younger I wouldn't give shit what stuff weighed... but I'm edging closer to another decade and I *really* like stuff I can pick up by myself. The rest? That's what stage hands are for...

If Dick Rees lived somewhere that was warm more than 45 days a year, I'd go form Geezer Audio Services with him... /satire

Thanks for the invite, Tim. I'm packing my trailer and should be in Wichita by Friday. Clean out the spare room. If the Geezer gig doesn't work out, I'll just hit up Paul Klusman to do the audio on his cat videos.

Hey there,
I bought my M-1400 new (discounted) for domestic HiFi purpose. It has very excellent low distortion and truck loads of power plus anti-clip circuitry and (if you want it) subsonic cut. Also, it has wonderfully high damping factor, so it IS great for subs.
After custom designing an automatic fan speed control for quiet domestic listening, this is the power amp I always wanted. IT'S A GEM.
When I look at the prices some people pay for 'Esoteric Brands' of lower power, I would call this amp > a bargain, even at retail.
Never a problem ... snap these up at low cost!
Happy listening folks :)

Although this post is close to 10 years or so old thanks for the report. I didn't know these amps were still around. Certainly not new. I'll have to look into it.
Doug