Midas Pro 2

Re: Midas Pro 2

Hi all,

Apologies for the months long delay in updates. Sadly the chaps at Midas were unable to get hold of a Pro2 for my tour on top of the one for the bosses tour. However, I did manage to take one out to a show last week courtesy of IPB Audio.

First of all, the build quality is better than that of the Pro6 that I have used. I'm not saying that the Pro6 is poorly made, it just has a slight rattle when you tap the fader banks! All the faders and pots feel exactly the same and the buttons feel more 'solid' but that might just be down to me. It may look like it was designed by a five year old, but the layout is excellent and the colour coding of every control makes it very easy to navigate. The only concern I do have is the quality of the flightcase that comes supplied with the touring package, it appears to be quite delicate and easily scratched, as well as being extremely large and unwieldy for a desk of this size. Nevertheless, you can still fit a Pro2C, stagebox and multicore into the back of a Ford Mondeo Estate which is pretty cool!

Down to the gig! I was using the Pro2C to mix a Student Elections night at one of the larger universities here in the UK. It was broadcast live on radio, video streamed over the internet, recorded for posterity and finally had three live mixes for different rooms. The Pro2C also functioned as a comms hub for the presenters. It was very easy to arrange routing and set up mixes for all of these purposes. Cable runs were made significantly easier due to the 6 AES50 ports on the board. I ended up using a pair of 48 channel stage boxes to allow I/O in different rooms (although the board is limited to 56 channels, it can still patch I/O from any of the 6 AES50 ports (so up to 144 ins and outs) as well as all inputs and outputs on the surface being patchable, even the headphone socket!)

Initially, I set up a pair of Matrix sends for comms to the presenters in different rooms, and configured the rest of the auxes to be stereo Mix Minus sends. Once this was all set, all the wireless gear was plugged in (12x Senn lapels and 6xShure IEMs) along with the many stereo channels of playback we finally got to a rehearsal. The assignable VCAs and POP groups made it extremely easy to take control of audio from different areas and keep background noise to a minimum without resorting to gating. The automation system is extremely powerful, but also extremely quick and easy to use, by the end of the (1hr30m) rehearsal I had about 90 scenes stored ready to go for the show. Then of course, the client decides they want an extra live mix...

Which thankfully was easy to accommodate and update all of the scenes in the show, I think it took all of five minutes to patch and update the scope of all the scenes.

Another feature which was extremely useful was the built in Broadcast monitoring mode. This routes L+R to Monitor A so you can keep one ear on the mix going out and then anything solo'd to Monitor B so you can hear that too, all with only the press of a button in the settings menu.

So, its easy to use, compact, very very functional and has pretty lights. When it comes to sound quality, it simply blows other consoles out of the water, the EQ is responsive, accurate and extremely fast to use, gates and compression are also transparent and effective (the vintage compressor isn't as transparent, but Midas appear to have distilled the idea of vintage compression, all warmth and boutique valve goodness and allowed you to put it on every channel you want to without making it sound like a specific compressor).

The multiband compressors and dynamic EQ plugins were subtle and effective, the dynamic EQ kept sibilance in check on some of my problem channels without making the sound dull and the multiband compression kept the broadcast mixes sounding sweet and full without being overwhelming. I didn't have a chance to try any other effects but I would hope they live up to the quality of those two. One niggle I do have is that patching the effects and graphics as inserts requires you to patch the insert send to the input of the rack and the insert return to the output manually. I guess digital has made me lazy, but I would have expected it would auto patch these for you.

Pictures to follow!

Maybe you can help! I just spent the weekend with 2 pro2s. One at foh the other for monitors. I have to say there are things about this console I absolutely love. How ever I seems to have hit a wall in 2 major places. The first goal was to insert a graph and have a parametric eq on my left right fader. I only seems to be able to have one or the other! I then tried patching left right through a matrix so I can use the parametric on the matrix and the graph inserted on the left right chanel. The inserted graph was showing signal but wasn't prossessing audio_Of corse I made sure the eq was on. After trying 4 or 5 different ways I gave up. Any thoughts? What am I missing? The second issue came up the next night when I had an engineer run monitors from foh. It seems the aux sends are post eq . Is there a way to make the aux send pre eq? ( I did have the pre button in on the channel strip)
All and all I love the board. I feel midas did an amazing job at making a digital mixer feel analogue. I absolutely dispize Doing monitors ,but on this mixer I enjoyed It. the thing sounds so musical the my players where verry pleased with the sound. I found the manule to less than helpfull. And reads like a behringer manule :-( any thoughts would be much appreciated .

Say what! I'm gonna test this madness tmrw. It was implied to me that they would both work.
I'll be anxiously waiting your results. Also try routing your main out put through a matrix. Then insert a graph on the left right fader and let me know if it processes audio. I really hope this is a case of operator error!

I'll be anxiously waiting your results. Also try routing your main out put through a matrix. Then insert a graph on the left right fader and let me know if it processes audio. I really hope this is a case of operator error!

So I guess you can only use one at a time. Also when The graphic is inserted on the main LR it does effect the audio that is routed to the matrix.

Wow!!! So i bet same applys To the aux masters.
Thanks so much for taking the time to check that out. How about sending signigle through an aux send pre Chanel eq.

Hi!

As far as I can recall, on the pro6/9 there is an preference option that says something like " masters to matrix post processing " , I imagine its the same on the pro2.

Eirik.

Just got word that a new update will be coming out within the next 60 days. It is supposed to address this issue.

Hi guys, there seems to be a little confusion here, so I thought I should step in and hopefully clear things up. The L+R can be sent post processing to the matrix outputs on all our consoles. But you must select the 'masters to matrix post processing' preference in the latency managament system. This is because the masters and matrix outputs are normally in the same time zone, this makes those outputs phase coherant, so you can't process them and send that processed signal to the matrix at the same time. Even we cant do time travel. Hope that makes sense.

Currently on the PRO series you can not have a KT graphic and the 6 band parametric eq at the same time. You can do this on the XL8 and you will be able to do it on all the PRO series with Generation-II software. A KT DN370 has been added to the FX rack so that you can insert it on any channel. So within a few days this will be possible.

I hope this helps clear things up.
Thanks,

Hi Jason,

Can you confirm, if doing monitors from foh, that the monitor sends can be selected pre or post channel eq?

Thanks,
Darren

Hi Darren,

I would be absolutely amazed if you can’t do that, but looking at the line diagrams in the manual it does look like you can !!! If you cannot, it is a real deal breaker especially if you need to do monitors from FOH. I was going to down load the off-line editor and have a look but I can only find a Mac version … and I don’t have a Mac.

Peter

There is logic to it. Midas being linux based only have mac software 'cause that's also based on linux.

Avid on the otherhand couldn't get Apple to licence it's OS for their hardware (Apple will only allow it to be used on their own hardware) so they went windows based. So their offline editor is only windows based.

For both companies supporting the other platform means writing the same software twice. It would be nice if they did.

Yep, same here Peter, I need the flexibility to do pre/post eq monitors from the console.
I don't have a Mac either, but there doesn't seem to be a PC version of the software on the Midas website.
Hopefully Jason may be able to give us some answers. I'm guessing last week was pretty hectic with Plasa.

Darren

The current range of consoles do not support pre/post eq mix sends. There is only pre/post fader only. There are some work arounds, but whether these would work for you will depend on the specifics of your situation. The architecture of the current hardware does not allow us to include the extra signal path.

apologies for the negative angle on the answer.

I'm pretty surprised at this. Even on the midas verona pre-fade can mean pre-eq. IIRC there is a jumper inside the console to change this behaviour.

Surely the cost of providing a jumper and extra PCB traces on the board is more than the cost of a bit of screen real estate and some lines of code ?

From your answer I assume that this is not something that will be provided for in a new version of firmware.

Can you elaborate on the work arounds ? The most obvious one to me is for one physical input to split to 2 digital channels - provided there is enough channels available. Is there other options that don't chew up secondary channels ?

I ask because I do have a pro-2 on the way.

andrew

Andrew