NAMM 2014 report

Re: NAMM 2014 report

Peter -
They changed the model numbers on EVERYTHING and the names of 50% of the line. I can't find TSW218 on the new website under any name or model number either. I bought up all the Turbo stuff I needed to round out my inventory at 32 TFA600HW / 24 TSW218 early last year. I did that so I could avoid the anxiety of massive product line upheaval. Here's hoping for the best.

Peter -
They changed the model numbers on EVERYTHING and the names of 50% of the line. I can't find TSW218 on the new website under any name or model number either. I bought up all the Turbo stuff I needed to round out my inventory at 32 TFA600HW / 24 TSW218 early last year. I did that so I could avoid the anxiety of massive product line upheaval. Here's hoping for the best.

Hi Steve,

Turbo had a great and respected line of products … why rename them, why do that, why???
Why don’t they have the full range of Flex on their website any more, and why don’t they have one of their most popular subs (TSW218) listed any more …. I hope it’s just an accident.... like you said; here's hoping for the best.

Here is the new Turbringer array - Liverpool for LivesoundInstalledSound : Turbosound ... and I don't understand what they have done to the Flex - Flex Array for Livesound : Turbosound ... no more TFA600 (now TFA104 ?) and there does seem to be any wide ... or powered Flex ... WTF!
An ex- Turbo engineer i met admitted that the powered flex was not really performing like they wanted. The Linea resarch amp they use was not that good, and the FIR filter DSP settings developed for the non-powered flex could not be used.

I'm at NAMM. I'll try to keep on top of getting press releases posted quickly today.

I'll make some posts when I could sit down for a minute!

David;
Should you happen to go by EV could you find out if their new ETX Speaker line is a TRUE Bi-Amp box or does it have a mono amp with a passive crossover? Their write up leaves me to believe it is a mono amp " 2000 W Class‑D power amplifier with integrated FIR‑Drive DSP " If they are a Bi-Amp box does the EXT-35P contain 3 amps or a passive split between mid and horn?

Thanks for anything you can find out.

Douglas R. Allen

David;
Should you happen to go by EV could you find out if their new ETX Speaker line is a TRUE Bi-Amp box or does it have a mono amp with a passive crossover? Their write up leaves me to believe it is a mono amp " 2000 W Class‑D power amplifier with integrated FIR‑Drive DSP " If they are a Bi-Amp box does the EXT-35P contain 3 amps or a passive split between mid and horn?

Douglas R. Allen
What difference does it make in a powered box? If a product can achieve a certain level of performance-it does not matter if there is 1 amp channel or 40. It does not affect how you use it-what it weighs-cabling-DSP or anything else-at least that I can think of.

Just like it doesn't matter if there are 8" woofers or 21" woofers. It is the final outcome that should be considered-not how it is achieved.

What difference does it make in a powered box? If a product can achieve a certain level of performance-it does not matter if there is 1 amp channel or 40. It does not affect how you use it-what it weighs-cabling-DSP or anything else-at least that I can think of.

Just like it doesn't matter if there are 8" woofers or 21" woofers. It is the final outcome that should be considered-not how it is achieved.

I agree. Those boxes draw less than 2A at 1/8th power.

I'm funny this way but I'd kind of like to know what I'm buying.
Most people want to know if they are buying a 4 cylinder, 6 or 8 when buying a car / truck .
I feel most would want to know if the new digital board they are thinking of purchasing is 44.1 , 44.8 , 96k regardless of perceived improvements or not.
Passive crossovers are fine but inductors will saturate. Caps will fail with time.
People want to know what they are buying. Least I do.

Douglas R. Allen

Last edited:

I'm funny this way but I'd kind of like to know what I'm buying.
Few people have the experience and knowledge to second guess professional design engineers.
Most people want to know if they are buying a 4 cylinder, 6 or 8 when buying a car / truck .
Yup, and most people over-estimate their judgement. IIRC some supercharged alcohol 4 cylinder Offy engines make 1000 HP.

For a truck it matters how much torque and work output the motor can deliver, not how many cylinders it has.
I feel most would want to know if the new digital board they are thinking of purchasing is 44.1 , 44.8 , 96k regardless of perceived improvements or not.
Opinions about this are likewise more perception than reality, but to interface within a larger work environment sample rate could be a concern.
Passive crossovers are fine but inductors will saturate. Caps will fail with time.
Active crossovers use caps too, unless they are 100% DSP (digital filters don't use caps, but DSP circuits do.)
Inductors don't saturate if they are properly sized, but I philosophically favor active crossovers.
People want to know what they are buying. Least I do.

Douglas R. Allen

While you may be the exception to rule, customers generally are forced to trust a brand to deliver a merchantable design, or expect them not to, based on past experience. As technology becomes more complex the ability to second guess the professional design engineers becomes harder and harder.

While opinions vary..

JR

Last edited:

David;

Thanks for anything you can find out.

Douglas R. Allen

I stopped by EV's demo on Thursday. Good box for that price range.

If you guys want to do a test drive with them, EV would probably be interested in sending a pair around.

David - If you get the chance to get by the Turbosound booth, I am curious what the redesigned/rebadged Behringer line array turned out to be...thanks.

Hey Steve,

I got to see these but didn't get to hear them.

Any specific questions? Rigging seems nice with just a single piece on the back side of the boxes for setting angles.

They're called Liverpool.

Few people have the experience and knowledge to second guess professional design engineers.

Yup, and most people ever-estimate their judgement. IIRC some supercharged alcohol 4 cylinder Offy engines make 1000 HP.

For a truck it matters how much torque and work output the motor can deliver, not how many cylinders it has.

Opinions about this are likewise more perception than reality, but to interface within a larger work environment sample rate could be a concern.

Active crossovers use caps too, unless they are 100% DSP (digital filters don't use caps, but DSP circuits do.)
Inductors don't saturate if they are properly sized, but I philosophically favor active crossovers.

While you may be the exception to rule, customers generally are forced to trust a brand to deliver a merchantable design, or expect them not to, based on past experience. As technology becomes more complex the ability to second guess the professional design engineers becomes harder and harder.

While opinions vary..

JR

Like you I favor an active crossover. I like to know if that is what I'm buying.
The other parts of your post I know as well. There is of course a big difference between the voltage an active crossovers cap needs to handle compared to a passive , post amp cap. (hoping of course the active cap was sized right as well)

If I'm looking at 2 equal packaged, sounding and priced boxes that offer the same performance. One has a single amp and a passive crossover. The other with a bi amp system. I would purchase the bi amp box. That is what I would want. The EV speaker doesn't seem to be clear as to that fact. So I asked.

Don't care if it says EV, JBL or Danley on the box. I want to know what I'm going to buy including how the split between the horn and woofer is done.

Douglas R. Allen

If I'm looking at 2 equal packaged, sounding and priced boxes that offer the same performance. One has a single amp and a passive crossover. The other with a bi amp system. I would purchase the bi amp box. That is what I would want.
If the performance is the same-then why do you want the biamped box?

What makes it "better"?