New line of StudioLive AI mixers announced.

Re: New line of StudioLive AI mixers announced.

I read the press release, and it's still not clear to me what has changed!? Still seems to be lacking moving faders?

I read the press release, and it's still not clear to me what has changed!? Still seems to be lacking moving faders?
Here are some of the obvious ones.

More processing power with A/B on the channel strip to allow you to have two configs per channel.
Four instead of two fx engines (still only delay and reverb though).
Ethernet and usb-wifi for remote control.
Security features for remote operations.
Optional i/o-cards for e.g. dante, avb and thunderbolt
Coreaudio compliant so it can be used with ipad and linux as well.
Peak hold metering.
Smaart on all channels and busses.
Channel strip and scene intergration into studioone and capture.

They won't be adding motorized faders anytime soon. From what I heard from a rep I talk to, the cost of adding it, at the particular quality they wanted, ended up adding anywhere from 500 to 1000 dollars to the finished product.

They won't be adding motorized faders anytime soon. From what I heard from a rep I talk to, the cost of adding it, at the particular quality they wanted, ended up adding anywhere from 500 to 1000 dollars to the finished product.

So what if that means a lot of us would actually buy it! Or maybe not, that ship might have sailed, docked and sailed again.

So what if that means a lot of us would actually buy it! Or maybe not, that ship might have sailed, docked and sailed again.

Motorized faders on a product where everything is patched 1:1 per fader is a bit overkill. The argument is that without layers or some other need for faders to recall, there isn't a reason to have them on the console. They've also built in a cool feature called "fader recall." This is useful because when you recall a scene, the faders aren't physically moved, but their software positions are the same as when you stored the file. By turning on the fader recall feature, the led meters will show you how far above or below the actual software level the physical faders are placed.

Even though motorized faders would be awesome, there just isn't a need for them in the particular product and it's form factor.

I own a 16.4.2 and even on that it is annoying to check the faders every time when you come back to te mixer after tweaking the sound across the room using the iPad. I cannot imagine how terrible it would be locating 37 faders (32+4+1).
If you offer scene management and remote control or any other functionallity which allows you to change the fader position programmatically you also should offer motor faders. Yust my opinion.

Motorized faders on a product where everything is patched 1:1 per fader is a bit overkill. The argument is that without layers or some other need for faders to recall, there isn't a reason to have them on the console. They've also built in a cool feature called "fader recall." This is useful because when you recall a scene, the faders aren't physically moved, but their software positions are the same as when you stored the file. By turning on the fader recall feature, the led meters will show you how far above or below the actual software level the physical faders are placed.

Even though motorized faders would be awesome, there just isn't a need for them in the particular product and it's form factor.

Anyone who uses scenes (assuming they've fixed the audio dropout between scenes in this version), would disagree about the value of faders not being where they really "are", not to mention non-recallable head amps, limited architecture, limited effects, etc.

I sort of get the one knob to one function desire for those really scared to learn something a little bit differently, but you give up a lot of functionality compared to a more modern and scalable work style like that found on the competition. I like Presonus as a company, but this seems to be a new layer of frosting on the same moldy cake.

I did a gig and because of intermittent iPad connection was lost in the sauce as there was no quick way to visually verify where any fader... Including the Master!!... Was set! Really not fun at all. And the lack of dedicated FX return faders is just a PITA.

I did a gig and because of intermittent iPad connection was lost in the sauce as there was no quick way to visually verify where any fader... Including the Master!!... Was set! Really not fun at all. And the lack of dedicated FX return faders is just a PITA.

Did you not utilize the "Fader Locate" feature?

Attachments

• Locate faders.JPG
    Locate faders.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 0

I get that the company believes that and that a lot of users are fine with it, and if the can sell enough of these without providing what a lot of us see as a must, then they have their market segment right, and I'm obviously not in that segment. I can't help thinking that the 40.000+ X32 sales would have looked a bit different if the Presonus had been there with motorized faders a year ago.

Did you not utilize the "Fader Locate" feature?

"it is highly recommended that you use the recall sheet provided in the back of this manual..."

You don't get that kind of analogue feel from many digital consoles ;)~;-)~:wink:

I agree with everything you all have said. The biggest thing to keep in mind about the PreSonus SL consoles is that they are more of an analog board than anything. Think in terms of analog, and you'll be better off.

Personally, if I wanted to go digital for real, I wouldn't choose the PreSonus, but as a replacement for a failing analog console that needs to be replaced on a budget under the cost of true digital, the SL is usually one of my favorite choices. That's the true target market, I believe (especially in churches), and they are definitely hitting it.

LOL @ Presonus and their stubborn death grip on the belief that a quality digital console shouldn't have moving faders.

I agree with everything you all have said. The biggest thing to keep in mind about the PreSonus SL consoles is that they are more of an analog board than anything. Think in terms of analog, and you'll be better off.

Then they shouldn't have even offered a scene menory to begin with. Analog to digital audio conversion and digital signal processing with internal effects if fine. But the point of having moving faders on a digital console is so that you can instantly step through scenes DURING THE SHOW, without having to spend two minutes to realign all of the faders to their stored positions.

And did they ever fix that problem where it would mute the console during the scene recall for like 2 seconds?

Scene recall mute has been rectified in the latest consoles according to their press release.

I think it's time to remind everyone that criticizing a console because it doesn't have the feature set that YOU need is specious. The SLive, while it can be used for some live sound situations, was designed for and released as an integrated recording/DAW system and is great for that. There are a lot of other things that I like about the board and being in the end of the business where motorized faders aren't really necessary it makes me no never-mind that they aren't included.

Things I like:

Pre A/D channel inserts.
Downward expanders on every channel.
SMAART on all the graphics.

I don't need a 12 pound hammer when 3 pounds will do.

I think it's time to remind everyone that criticizing a console because it doesn't have the feature set that YOU need is specious.
Sure, some of us are just explaining why we are not buying this product.

The SLive, while it can be used for some live sound situations, was designed for and released as an integrated recording/DAW system and is great for that.
You need to tell their marketing people, and the guy that came up with the name.

There are a lot of other things that I like about the board and being in the end of the business where motorized faders aren't really necessary it makes me no never-mind that they aren't included.

There are a lot of things to like, which is why I wanted one, but just couldn't get past the non-motorized faders and the lack of rotary encoders in places where it matters too much to ignore. Even a meaningful integration with a DAW is pretty much off the table without recall on the faders. Best of both worlds so easily becomes worst of both worlds when some of the "best" bits are missing. Analog preAD inserts are a big analog world plus, the channel strip is a really good reason to go digital instead of getting a VeniceF (which in many ways fits the same market segment).
To be completely honest, I would have bought the 24.4.2 when it came out despite the lack of motors, but I just hated the feel of the faders. :lol:

It seems like a tough market for the new SL's.

I haven't heard the efx on the new AI; however, the original SL had decent efx. Having said that, the Qu-16, Expression Si, and X32 all have outstanding efx. Hopefully the AI has stepped up its game here (anyone have experience here?).

As far as the features argument goes, good luck telling the consumer that they don't need a feature therefore it is OK that you don't have it and others do. History has shown how well that works.

Have they upped the order on the high pass filters?? That 6dB/octave is BS and enough reason alone to not consider this mixer for purchase (IMNSHO). They should be at minimum double that order and preferably selectable up to 24dB/octave.

I think it's time to remind everyone that criticizing a console because it doesn't have the feature set that YOU need is specious.

I don't need a 12 pound hammer when 3 pounds will do.

My basic plan for the future as a tech is to NEVER AGAIN buy a console.

Since I am happy to allow others to play the purchase game, I will learn how to use each board to the limits of its capabilities, and to match my mixing style to what the provided board can do, not to worry about what it can't do.

I actually have this crazy idea that being flexible, yet being able to provide a high level of results on a variety of equipment, at multiple price points and feature sets, actually make me more valuable as a hired tech.