New QSC Product - TouchMix

re: New QSC Product - TouchMix

Some sort of touch-screen mixer?

QSC Marketing :: January 2014

I can't wait for someone, anyone, to take a shot at the X32. I just got an X32 rack and got the X32 at launch, but if the QSC digital mixer is as good as the rest of the QSC stuff I have then I'll get rid of the X32s and go full QSC for a while. I have been waiting a year since QSC teased the idea of releasing a digital mixer last year in a FB post!!!! Something about having an all QSC system is quite attractive.

Interesting feature set, at least what is shown on the page. Appears to be 16 inputs plus 4 stereo, 4 FX, 8 Aux and 8 DCA groups. Strange to have 8 DCA groups with only 16 inputs. There may well be other navigation that is not revealed on the teaser.

Raul Suarez
Third Ear Sound

Not too long ago M&W and QSC were to produce a digital mixer. Then the whole thing vaporized, nary a trace. That was Greg Mackie and Peter Watts. QSC, M&W Pro Audio Announce Partnership to Create Digital Mixing Consoles I for one would like to know what really happened. Greg vanished from public view, trademarks were abandoned etc. Someone have some input?

I heard they wanted to do it right, had some obstacles that brought the project to a hault. They applied the resources into other product(s) that will be running QSYS more or less. I was told it will be possible to get under the hood and customize things. This info was what I gathered talked to two reps. If it is not correct or someone wants it removed, someone from QSC let me know.

If i was making a new digital console these days, I'd be tempted to make it completely remote control... i.e. no physical control surface. Cheaper, and if well executed you can satisfy multiple different customer preferences with different soft interfaces..... or not...

JR

If i was making a new digital console these days, I'd be tempted to make it completely remote control... i.e. no physical control surface. Cheaper, and if well executed you can satisfy multiple different customer preferences with different soft interfaces..... or not...

JR

Seems that QSC already has this with Q-Sys. Plenty of "interface" choices, as many inputs/outputs as you need, flexible routing options. Maybe this is an expansion of that?

My hope is that we eliminate proprietary UI's. I do fly-ins. Have a 50" multi-touch screen laid flat, sufficient numbers of AD/DA, fat redundant DSP, wireless tablet, and off we go.

There are too many unique manufacturer platform quirks & dodges. These work against fast work.

There probably isn't a bunch of money in producing this platform, but that is where we will end up IMO.

My hope is that we eliminate proprietary UI's. I do fly-ins. Have a 50" multi-touch screen laid flat, sufficient numbers of AD/DA, fat redundant DSP, wireless tablet, and off we go.

There are too many unique manufacturer platform quirks & dodges. These work against fast work.

There probably isn't a bunch of money in producing this platform, but that is where we will end up IMO.

We still have a ways to go before we can enjoy universal control interface. I won't waste bandwidth listing my old whines...

It will happen eventually.

JR

JR

Totally agree, and the worst thing is that it has very much existed for a few years now, stuff like the A&H iDR certainly has satisfied the needs in many respects, but the software side has been slightly disappointing until very recently. Today there are a few hardware solutions to choose from, but strangely enough there isn't really a single multitouch bit of software beyond the iPad apps.

Totally agree, and the worst thing is that it has very much existed for a few years now, stuff like the A&H iDR certainly has satisfied the needs in many respects,

It has existed for more than a dozen years. The grandaddy of professional digital consoles in the live sound world, the Yamaha PM1D, could be operated without a CS1 control surface from the get go.

Mac

It has existed for more than a dozen years. The grandaddy of professional digital consoles in the live sound world, the Yamaha PM1D, could be operated without a CS1 control surface from the get go.

Mac

The SAC system had potential. There are guys out there using it on a grand scale. The majority seem to be small time guys who enjoy tinkering as opposed to working, or working and having personal time not designated to fixing things, surfing support forum threads, etc.

You mean a computer with a big screen and a big sound card? I think that's been done.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Like this? (For those who haven't seen it already...)

The Slate studio piece is not really the same thing. Waves has their platform. You can buy the new Peavey stage rack/processor. It's modular. You need more inputs and processing, you add stage racks/processors. The cool thing for fixed installs is you can put them where you need them.