Presonus Studio-Live 24

Can anyone say anything bad about this mixer?

The one thing i can see is the automatic assignment of stereo EQ's and the limitation of only 8. And the fact they dont have a 32 channel model.

Im seriously thinking about replacing a couple of my GL2400-32 (our B-rig desks) with these and selling off the racks that go with them.... can you think of why i would not like this thing? I did hear from one person the FX are lame? can anyone comment on that as well?

Re: Presonus Studio-Live 24

Right now the argument is not whether the FX are good, but whether or not the SLive's are robust enough to last. So I'd say it's between you and the dealer. If they'll back you up on replacement, then consider it.

I bought a 16 channel model used and like using it. We'll see how long it lasts.

I'd rather spend my money on the 01v96.

Evan

Why is it that whenever someone asks a question about an SLive the replies swerve off topic to the Yamaha? How is bringing in the 01v a discussion of the console the OP asked about? Me, I'd prefer an ILive.....

Rant over.

D ''hates Yamahas'' R

Dick,

The Presonus just feels like a toy to me. The few shows that I've gotten stuck on one of those desks have always left me wishing for the 01v96.

The bad things I can think of:

-Only 2 built in efx (4 on the 01v)

-4 groups (8 on the (8 on the 01v)

-Cheesy bar graph's for everything.

-4 band semi parametric EQ (01v is fully parametric)

-Comps distort when you hit them with 10dB or more GR

-A ''hold'' feature on the gates would be nice

-No motorized faders (what good is scene recall?)

Yeah, the 24 faders and firewire is nice, but I really just don't enjoy mixing on those desk. Give me an 01v96 any day.
icon_smile.gif

Evan

Can anyone say anything bad about this mixer?

The one thing i can see is the automatic assignment of stereo EQ's and the limitation of only 8. And the fact they dont have a 32 channel model.

Im seriously thinking about replacing a couple of my GL2400-32 (our B-rig desks) with these and selling off the racks that go with them.... can you think of why i would not like this thing? I did hear from one person the FX are lame? can anyone comment on that as well?

I was thinking about getting one so I could make the jump into the digital world...until I had the chance to mix on a REAL digital console. Now I'm keeping my current rig until I can afford something several steps up from the SL.

To me, it doesn't make since to sell off equipment that you probably have paid off and replace it with the SL. Save up and get something better.

My $.02

Right now the argument is not whether the FX are good, but whether or not the SLive's are robust enough to last. So I'd say it's between you and the dealer. If they'll back you up on replacement, then consider it.

I bought a 16 channel model used and like using it. We'll see how long it lasts.

I've used mine weekly since January of 2009 so 2 years now, over 100 shows, rides in a trailer, pulled out 15 more times per year to mix shows down for recording. Other than some laptop incompatibilities, no issues.

Why is it that whenever someone asks a question about an SLive the replies swerve off topic to the Yamaha? How is bringing in the 01v a discussion of the console the OP asked about?

The OP did ask if anyone can say anything bad about it. In fact it was the first thing he said in his post. I can say lots of bad things about it. But I didn't. I'm trying to restrain myself. But I agree with Evan.

The O1V versus SL had beaten to death on other forums. They are different boards with different pros and cons and there's room for both in the market. IMO, the SL is a live board first, studio board second and the O1V is a studio board first and live board second. The short story is the SL is easier to use, especially live, but lacks features found in the O1V.

The O1V versus SL had beaten to death on other forums. They are different boards with different pros and cons and there's room for both in the market. IMO, the SL is a live board first, studio board second and the O1V is a studio board first and live board second. The short story is the SL is easier to use, especially live, but lacks features found in the O1V.

You have to consider though, is going out and buying an SL better than the gear he would have to sell off to buy it with?
icon_rolleyes.gif

It might make since if he were looking to buy an LS9 or similar.

Fair enough. I replaced my A&G Mixwiz, 2 DBX 1046 compressors, multiple 31 band EQs. For me it was well worth it. The sound is noticeably better. The only outboard rack gear I use is an Ashly crossover. The rest of the rack is wireless mics,in ear monitors, and a CD player.

If it were my company and I had several GL2400-32's and seldom had them all out at once and never had the need for using all 32 channels with every board that was out, I'd get an SL in a heartbeat. If you've got the scratch to have all that gear, then $3000 for an SL isn't going to break you. If you find it's just what the doctor ordered, then you can replace 1 or 2 other boards. If not, you can sell it off and chalk up the few hundred dollar loss to research.

It does allow faster setup and teardown and the ability to offer recording services, even if it's just raw tracks, very easily. The remote mixing is pretty darn cool too.

My interest in this board is the bang for the buck and the reduced size of the FOH footprint.

This would not replace my GL stock (we have several and several B-rig FOH racks) i was thinking of replacing 1 of my consoles and racks.

As far as the LS9 and the Si compact those are both in the 8k range and i would not consider buying into that range for our b-rig, as far as the Yamaha 01v... i really hate the layout and layers...its just not an easy board to work on live. we have access to PM5D's, Profiles, SC48 and midals gave me the Pro6 for a summer that we used for our national shows and i have toured with them on several occasions so im very familiar with them. This desk would be for corporate, modern worship, and the few club shows and smaller festivals we do with our b-rig. By no means would it be a tool for our larger national shows and festivals or a ''break in'' to the digital domain.

We do a couple modern worship gigs monthly and it would be nice to recall their set up and mixes and reduce the footprint along with the load in and out.

Evan

Why is it that whenever someone asks a question about an SLive the replies swerve off topic to the Yamaha? How is bringing in the 01v a discussion of the console the OP asked about? Me, I'd prefer an ILive.....

Rant over.

D ''hates Yamahas'' R

Dick,

The Presonus just feels like a toy to me. The few shows that I've gotten stuck on one of those desks have always left me wishing for the 01v96.

The bad things I can think of:

-Only 2 built in efx (4 on the 01v)

-4 groups (8 on the (8 on the 01v)

-Cheesy bar graph's for everything.

-4 band semi parametric EQ (01v is fully parametric)

-Comps distort when you hit them with 10dB or more GR

-A ''hold'' feature on the gates would be nice

-No motorized faders (what good is scene recall?)

Yeah, the 24 faders and firewire is nice, but I really just don't enjoy mixing on those desk. Give me an 01v96 any day.
icon_smile.gif

Evan

FWIW, the SL24 has fully paramentric 4 band EQ, the SL16 has semi-parametric.

Your short story is suspect... I disagree 100% that the SL is easier to use. . .

-No motorized faders -- MAJOR FAIL for my needs doing multiple monitor mixes.

-No offline editor -- EVEN BIGGER FAIL ... this is where my gigs begin, with the correct advance work and programming a layout for the gig, so when I am on site, I am not wasting my time doing things that could have been done at home.

-Only 6 Aux Sends -- loosing two aux sends sure would make 99% of my gigs more difficult, or at least less fun.

-Only 2 efx processors... no thanks..

Oh yeah.... the Yamaha consoles and workflow have been setting the standard for decades now... sure there are new work flows gaining traction in the marketplace (SC48 comes to mind)... but even that is not a steep learning curve coming from a Yamaha background.

The fact that I have purchased (and sold) multiple 01v96 consoles used all for right around $1250... I just don't see the value in the StudioLive. The recording feature is neato... but I don't see how that makes it more of a live console then the 01v like you suggest.

So... short story... I agree with Evan. You will be better served with the Yamaha... and you will gain valuable knowledge being comfortable with the Yamaha Digital platform.

EDIT... I totally forgot about the AMAZING mute that happens when you switch scenes... that is really just unacceptable... 100% NO EXCUSES -- UNACCEPTABLE. Between this and the lack of an offline editor, this console just screams TOY to me. I bet it would be wicked fun in a rehearsal studio or small bar gig...
icon_razz.gif

The 01v96... the ''gateway'' console of digital addiction.
icon_wink.gif

It's really true.. I get to use the mini-APB rack mounted console on occasion for the odd press conference and similar low channel gigs, and even though they are absolutely the greatest small format analog consoles I have ever used, I end up feeling like I'm missing something by the time the gig is over.

It might be the built in oscillator on one gig, the parametric EQ on the outputs (instead of a rack of graphics) on another gig, making a custom fader layer for the awkward corporate gigs with a bunch of stereo sources from Video World (not such a big deal on the APB with it's great stereo channel layout), or even just the ability to soft patch when something comes up in the heat of the moment, instead of digging around in the rack to get a comp inserted quickly.

I really would love to be excited about Analog, but I just constantly feel limited, and I REALLY miss the amount of metering I have available on even a modest 01v for things like in/out levels for the comps and gates (using studio manager).

If I ever had a gig where I could spec the whole rig (regardless of budget)... analog might be fun again... but until then, I'll be riding on the digital bus.

EDIT: I also NEVER expected to be SOOO addicted to the solo bus (clear) button on the small format digital consoles. I constantly use it, and wish it was a feature that could make it's way down from the BIG BOY analog gear to the smaller analog gear.

well, they're all toys aren't they ? :D

aside from what anyone else thinks, do your homework - which product meets your current wants/needs/goals/budget? Advice will rear it's head and at times it'll feel like you're sticking your head in a box of locusts - everyone has an opinion. You'll soon learn why.

Gotta admit, it's a cool new toy. So is the Roland. And the Si, I live, Yammy...

Choose your weapon... wield it well

Steve

Your short story is suspect... I disagree 100% that the SL is easier to use. . .

Your opinion. I believe what I said holds true and really can't be convinced otherwise. I have played with the Yamaha before and know others that have the board that agree the SL is faster to use. The work flow may be foreign to you, but if you give someone with no experience with either and tell them they're running sound in an hour, the SL will be the easier board to use. I have to run sound from stage and the SL is a much better choice for that, IMO.

I'm not putting the Yamaha down at all. It's a great board with more features than the SL and I'm not denying that. I am saying, while it certainly works for live applications, it really wasn't designed first and foremost as a live board.

FWIW - I find the cost argument worthless. If cost is all that mattered then Midas would be out of business.

There are a lot of O1V owners that are haters on the SL and won't concede that it has any merit whatsoever. I'm just putting my 2 cents in for anyone that cares.