Presonus Studio-Live 24

Re: Presonus Studio-Live 24

Do you like the sound of an ACP88?

To me, one of the biggest limitations of any digital is that you are limited to having the equivalent of all of your outboard from the same source, whether you actually like that source or not.

Many people see the single package as an advantage. I would rather pick and choose between brands, to get the best that is available in my price range.

I know we beat car analogies to death, but do you want to by a car that you love the style, but can not sit comfortably behind the wheel (or vice versa)

There are a lot of O1V owners that are haters on the SL and won't concede that it has any merit whatsoever. I'm just putting my 2 cents in for anyone that cares.

I think the Firewire multi-tracking feature must be pretty great. If Yamaha came out with an updated 01V96VCM+Firewire and charged $1000 more for it, I would buy it.

On the other hand, if the StudioLive 24 got motorized faders, another FX or two, didn't stop passing audio when you change scenes, and ... and ... and if I wasn't reading so many posts from users who have experienced reliability issues ... I might consider buying an SL24.

IMO PreSonus has a very clever product. I imagine they will work the bugs out of it sooner or later.

I haven't used an SL board yet but here is my take on it.

I can deal with 6 auxes, I can deal with 4 groups, I can deal with two effects, I can even deal with semi-parametric EQ if I have to, it's really not a big deal to me but I CAN NOT deal with non-motorized faders on a board that is supposed to have recall. The faders are the most important way to make adjustments and I need them to recall! End of story!

I'm confused... It HAS fully perimetric eq, it has 10 auxes!

It does not have FULLY parametric EQ! You can't take the low EQ know and sweep it 20hz to 20k like you can on the Yamaha desk!

Why learn a digital console that won't help you when you find yourself on a bigger desk? If you learn the 01v96, you'll be able to work on the LS9, M7, 5D without a lot of changes and the VENUE consoles won't seem so hard either.

Eavn

Missing the point sir...if you read my previous post. Im not looking to break into digital mixers, or learn them, im very familiar with all the digital mixers on the market and use them quite regularly. To reiterate this is for our B-rig clients and im just trying to get some feedback on people who use them...which it looks like you dont.

But if we want to talk about the yamaha, I really hate the way the O1v is layed out...its quite annoying to work on in a live situation and i HATE the way the trims dont line up with the faders and requires extra gear to have more XLR inputs beyond 12, i also dislike that there isnt dedicated controls for each feature (dynamics, eq, FX) ITs a powerfull desk but has a really weak interface IMHO.

But this isnt about the yamaha desk. Im discussing the Presonus and have collected quite a bit of both positive and negative feedback from ''users''

PS: why would you need your LF to go up to 20k? When i think of full parametric i think of ''Q'' ''Freq'' and ''cut/boost'' the frequency on most high end analog desks are not 20-20k. they are within the freq band they are labeled as.

Ordering one tomorrow for the small church I work for. I will report details as they come in. Feature/price/etc....was perfect for their operation where no scene changes during performances, simple multitrack recording was a must, and the eliminating of external gear that was exposed to others was desired. I may get one for our ''c'' rig setup, and the recording to my Macbook will be very desirable for a number of low budget remote recording gigs.

I just got a sl16 on demo. Looked decent at first glance, but as I started using it, my wish list grew. As everyone stated the scene change thing is a pain wihtout flying faders. Also I didn't see anywhere to mute fx returns ( cause routing them to 2 sub groups now reduces the console to 2 sub groups). So Presonus, either give me a mute on the effects outputs, or 2 more faders....

Sonically I only got to try it in my home studio, not in live situation, or with live players.

The gates work, the comps work, the effects are ''ok''... and hard to manipulate on the fly. As an over all impression it felt like an MI piece trying to be marketed in an pro SR world.

This impression is on the 16 ch version , I have not seen the 24 ch version ''in the flesh'' - nor will I

signed primary LS9-32 user
icon_razz.gif

There's no denying that, if you are accustomed to a high end digital board, the SL will likely leave you wanting more (flying faders being on nearly everyone's wish list). I'd also agree that it's not a high end piece. It's not something you'd likely want in your rental inventory for the masses to beat on. That said, I don't want to stick the ''MI'' label on it either though because it's not a throw away board like a Mackie CFX, anything Behringer, and is low noise, high headroom and sounds great.

If however you're coming from an A&H Mixwiz, which is pretty much the standard small format, affordable, weekend warrior boards, the SL is a dramatic improvement. I made this very switch a few years ago and it really is night and day. The full meter bridge alone is worth the premium to me as it allows me to mix with my eyes, which is invaluable when mixing from stage. I still own the mixwiz as a backup but it's sat in the same place I unracked it from for the last 2 yrs.

PS: why would you need your LF to go up to 20k? When i think of full parametric i think of ''Q'' ''Freq'' and ''cut/boost'' the frequency on most high end analog desks are not 20-20k. they are within the freq band they are labeled as.

IMO, the thing that makes it not fully parametric is the ''switchable Q'' blah.

not sure what you mean? the Q looks like it has a pretty wide range per band... (ive never used this thing so i dont know for sure) what are we switching? on/off?

So this thread has raised some more questions for me.

Are the gains recall-able?

IF the faders are the graph controls and they are not motorized, what happens when you switch channels or auxes on with the graph/faders?

do they just not effect it till the fader reaches the original setting?

What is the dilemma with the scene changes? if its just that the faders dont go to the desired place ....that does not seem like a big deal, as long as my auxes, gains, eqs (graph and channel strip) FX settings and assignments are recalled?

The gain pots are NOT recallable, nor are the master levels of the aux sends (but the aux mixes are).

The faders are recallable via a ''locate'' function that you push that turns the meter bridge into an indicator of where each fader should be. You slide the fader and the display meter changes and lets you know when you've set the fader to the right location. I think it's a pretty slick solution to recalling scenes, some folks don't.

The trim levels not being recallable is a bummer though. Even though you should always reset the trims if running multiple bands, there are still times it would be nice to recall them. For instance I'll do a one off here and there for other bands and have to redo my band's gain, which never changes so it would be nice to just recall.

Shane....

The FX mutes are right there on the EFX auxes.....the big red buttons that say ''MUTE''.

Yup, there's my 2011 dumbass moment
icon_lol.gif
I guess my eye was following over the aux ''solo'' positions - and figured it was the same.

It's still crappy you have to lose 2 groups to effects returns if you want the fader route, which for delay shots is required...IMO

Hmm thats a deal breaker to me. Whats the point of sound checking a headliner and then changing scenes for the openers then having to re-do the gains for the headliner? bummer. I guess thats why its $3k.

Still a cool piece but just not for my needs. I really hope this desk and the Behringer makes the other guys come out with a low cost digital desk that addresses the misses on the presonus

Shane....

The FX mutes are right there on the EFX auxes.....the big red buttons that say ''MUTE''.

Yup, there's my 2011 dumbass moment
icon_lol.gif
I guess my eye was following over the aux ''solo'' positions - and figured it was the same.

It's still crappy you have to lose 2 groups to effects returns if you want the fader route, which for delay shots is required...IMO

If your requirements exceed the capability of any given piece of gear then it is obviously not for you.

NEXT!!!!!

IMO, the thing that makes it not fully parametric is the ''switchable Q'' blah.

not sure what you mean? the Q looks like it has a pretty wide range per band... (ive never used this thing so i dont know for sure) what are we switching? on/off?

Mr Lantzy is confusing the 24 channel model with the 16 channel model. The EQ setup is different on each and has been upgraded to fully parametric on the 24 channel desk. Also has variable Q.

For those of you who are critical of the desk because it doesn't meet your particular needs I'd just say:

Pick something else. Go ahead and spend the money it takes to get all your bells and whistles.

This desk will do quite well for what it is. There are many different working situations and there is no one console which can be all things to all people. For the price and for what it does it is just fine. The only thing I'm waiting for is to see how they hold up over time and to see a more stable and easier to connect recording interface. The present one is very glitchy and I won't use it. But I didn't buy the board for that feature so for me it's somewhat moot.