S16 Digital Snake Question

I have a question about running 2 of the S16 digital snakes together. I don't need to know the in's and out's and exactly how yet, but I'll give a description of my situation, and I just want to know if this will work...

I have an X32 and my trusty MixWiz 16:2. When I don't have the need for more than 16 channels or the room to set up the X32, I still want to use my MixWiz some. I have a 16x8x150 snake and a 32x8x150 snake. I can sell both and knock a big dent in the cost of buying 2 S16 units. I know I can run Cat5 or 6 from the X32 to stage when running both units at the stage, but when I only need 16x8 snake channels, can I set one up on stage, one at FOH with Cat5 in between, and use XLR adapters or a short 16ch Male-Male snake to hook my mixwiz to the box? Basically my question is, can I use one box at stage and one at FOH with an analog console?

Re: S16 Digital Snake Question

No.

The female XLR's on the S16 only do Analog to digital conversion. They will not covert from digital back to analog.

What you CAN do is have an S16 on either end of the cat5. At FOH you also have to have 2 ADA8000's plugged into the ADAT ports. This can be configured to output the 16 inputs from the stage.

So you would have 2 cases, one with a standalone S16 and one with an S16 and a pair of ADA8000's. That should accomplish what you need.

No.

The female XLR's on the S16 only do Analog to digital conversion. They will not covert from digital back to analog.

What you CAN do is have an S16 on either end of the cat5. At FOH you also have to have 2 ADA8000's plugged into the ADAT ports. This can be configured to output the 16 inputs from the stage.

So you would have 2 cases, one with a standalone S16 and one with an S16 and a pair of ADA8000's. That should accomplish what you need.
Actually you only need one ada8000 according to the s16 documentation.

It doesnt mention if it can handle the returns as well...

Dear All,
I wanted to jump in and confirm that you can use a pair of S16 Digital Snakes in a stand-alone configuration. Here is how you would set it up with one S16 at Front of House and another at Stage:

16 Mics plug into S16(1) on stage which connects directly via CAT5e to S16(2) at FOH.
S16(2) will be set to Mode 7 (48kHz) or 8 (44.1kHz), making it the “Master”. This will allow you to control the mic gains at S16(1) on stage from S16(2) at FOH.
S16(1) on stage would be set to Mode 4, which will send its 16 mic signals directly to the ULTRANET port allowing for the use of the P16 Personal Monitoring System. This also will take the first 8 inputs on S16(2) at FOH and route to them to the 8 XLR outputs on S16(1) on stage.
The first 8 mic signals from S16(1) on stage will appear on the 8 XLR outputs of S16(2) at FOH. Inputs 9-16 will appear on the second bank of ADAT outs at S16(2) at FOH. Simply connect an ADA8000/ADA8200 or other D/A converter here to get analog XLR outputs for these 8 signals.
As mentioned previously, to send signals back to stage, connect them to the first 8 inputs of S16(2) at FOH. These signals will come out of the 8 outputs on S16(1) on stage.
More information including diagrams are included on page 7, 9, & 12 of the S16 Manual, which can be found at this link: http://bit.ly/1893Xqwhttp://bit.ly/1893Xqw

Note: To change operating modes on the S16, press and hold the CONFIG button while turning the SELECT/ADJUST knob. The table on page 9 of the manual describes how the S16 indicates which mode it is in.

Hope it Helps!