So the X32 died. Help??

Nick Latkowski

Freshman
Jul 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
Well the x32 shit itself at the show today. Luckily had the Ls9 sitting in the truck. Anyway, board shut off last weekend, and wouldn't turn on. Came back for the show, lasted the show, then it wouldn't even turn on today. The lights that are on would be the backlit buttons on the side of the screen, and the arrows. Nothing else
. Only other thing working on the console is the fan on the psu. any suggestions though as to the problem? I'm thinking power supply, but second opinions are always good.

edit: random LEDs flash throughout the board when power switch is turned on. But nothing after that except lit buttons by home screen.

Last edited:
Re: So the X32 died. Help??

Well the x32 shit itself at the show today. Luckily had the Ls9 sitting in the truck. Anyway, board shut off last weekend, and wouldn't turn on. Came back for the show, lasted the show, then it wouldn't even turn on today. The lights that are on would be the backlit buttons on the side of the screen, and the arrows. Nothing else
. Only other thing working on the console is the fan on the psu. Had it apart. Everything's connected inside (Really bad build quality though, some stuff is literally held on with electrical tape) any suggestions though as to the problem? I'm thinking power supply, but second opinions are always good.

edit: random LEDs flash throughout the board when power switch is turned on. But nothing after that except lit buttons by home screen.

PSU appears likely.

. Only other thing working on the console is the fan on the psu. Had it apart. Everything's connected inside (Really bad build quality though, some stuff is literally held on with electrical tape) any suggestions though as to the problem? I'm thinking power supply, but second opinions are always good.

That sounds like one of the rails in the PSU has failed. Ordinarily, I'd suggest checking warranty status to see if the unit can go back to the manufacturer, but in this case, you've likely voided your warranty be opening the thing up.

Dear Nick,
We are sorry to hear about your console. With well over 100,000 consoles in use around the world, the failure rate on X32 consoles remains extremely low. Of course, the occasional issue can happen and we are here to help resolve this quickly. Please send me a PM with your contact information so that I can be sure our CARE department reaches out to you today.

I was talking to some sales people the other day, and they said, "There are over 100k X32s in use around the world." I came back with, 'Nobody KNOWS this. They can only account for the number shipped, not the numbers in use, especially by the original customers. There is no way to account for used sales, numbers on the floors in dealers, loaned to customers while theirs are being repaired, etc. The more accurate way to do it would be "Over 100,000 units delivered." Impressive nonetheless.'

I was talking to some sales people the other day, and they said, "There are over 100k X32s in use around the world." I came back with, 'Nobody KNOWS this. They can only account for the number shipped, not the numbers in use, especially by the original customers. There is no way to account for used sales, numbers on the floors in dealers, loaned to customers while theirs are being repaired, etc. The more accurate way to do it would be "Over 100,000 units delivered." Impressive nonetheless.'

Nitpicking, are we? If you want to throw semantics around, what the heck does numbers people use and numbers on floors have to do with the amount of X32s in use?

Last edited:

Had something similar to an S16 happen…turned on, no sound…sent in for warranty repair…they reseated a loose ribbon cable…that was all…could be the issue here too..there are a lot of them in the board...

So did you get it up and running again?
Power supply cooked I think., no loose ribbon cables. Couldn't reload firmware. problem with road case actually. It's out for warranty repair. I'll know when it gets back to the shop. Actually..... As a warning to everyone that has an x32. Beware of your gator cases. SOME of them have foam throughout the entire underside of the board. It's really soft too. After a while the rubber feet on the board dig into it causing the bottom of the console to sit on it..... Well the power supply fan is on the bottom of the console. Go figure right? It blocks the airflow to it.

Power supply cooked I think., no loose ribbon cables. Couldn't reload firmware. problem with road case actually. It's out for warranty repair. I'll know when it gets back to the shop. Actually..... As a warning to everyone that has an x32. Beware of your gator cases. SOME of them have foam throughout the entire underside of the board. It's really soft too. After a while the rubber feet on the board dig into it causing the bottom of the console to sit on it..... Well the power supply fan is on the bottom of the console. Go figure right? It blocks the airflow to it.

That gator bite gonna hurt.

Good to know.

Can't just blame it on Gator- almost all cases have foam on the bottom. Power supply fan on the bottom sounds like it was designed by someone who never actually used a sound board out of the lab!

Can't just blame it on Gator- almost all cases have foam on the bottom. Power supply fan on the bottom sounds like it was designed by someone who never actually used a sound board out of the lab!

The fan is where it is, it's up to the case manufacturer and the user to make a case/modify to fit the mixer.

I used some strips of material (1/4" plywood would be fine... 2"x12" approx) that sits under the feet of the X32 in the Gator case. With more area to press down the feet don't sink into the case foam and so the PS doesn't get starved of air.

I was thinking I read newer Gator cases addressed this design flaw on their own somewhere.... And the design flaw is Gator's not the X32's...

I used some strips of material (1/4" plywood would be fine... 2"x12" approx) that sits under the feet of the X32 in the Gator case. With more area to press down the feet don't sink into the case foam and so the PS doesn't get starved of air.

I was thinking I read newer Gator cases addressed this design flaw on their own somewhere.... And the design flaw is Gator's not the X32's...

Did if the same thing basically to ours after this happened. And yes they did address the issue at some point. The newer cases have much firmer foam in them, and it is only about a 6x6 pad under each foot. Nothing under the rest of the console.

You might be able to confirm power supply voltage using the service manual: