Speaking of Varsity

Jonathan Martin

Little Lebowski Achiever
I gleaned a lot of great info from the LAB over the years but, sadly, it looks like it is on it's last legs.

I stopped participating there for personal reasons.

One thing that particularly bothered me about the 'old/new/old LAB' was the lack of participation by Varsity Touring Guys. Aside from 2-3 people, none of my touring friends or peers posted to the LAB. I know some of them lurked, but for whatever reason, chose not to participate. :?~:-?~:???:

I think one of the reasons was the LAB seemed to be 'provider-centric' and 'club guy-centric', no diss to them, because we all know we wouldn't have a bunch of cool audio toys to play with if someone else didn't pay for them. :lol:

My buddy Frank (Godsmack FOH) called everyone on the LAB ''protractor engineers''. Which I think was a good analogy at times.

I'd like to hear some suggestions on how we can get some more ''big dogs'' to post here and share some of the things they are doing on tour, be it rig deployment or cool mix tricks, etc..

I will hit up some of my personal friends and colleagues and let them know about this joint.

Re: Speaking of Varsity

Well, I think of myself as JV but I would really like to hear a larger variety of professional outlooks on what it takes to be able to put on a consistant show in a variety of venues.

With a looser editorial oversight, I think personal invitation is the best bet for encouraging new professionals to actively participate. Once they are participating, then it will be important to show them that their knowledge/experience/opinion is important.

Hi Jon-

I think there might have been some tension between the mind-sets of each side of that personnel equation. On one hand, the provider, who largely understands that the rider isn't supposed to be wish list, but frequently encounters exactly that, and the BE who *hopefully* wrote that rider (or is at least aware of what is being sent out) and reasonably expects that the tools needed to do the job will be provided.

The issue for most of us on the provider side is that promoters/in house presenters won't pony up the budget to provide what is specified, putting the provider between the promoter and BE. You've been there, I've been there... and we both know it's not a comfortable place sometimes.

That all said, I'd love to see more BE participation here, particularly on mixing. I'm out of practice (mixing 1 support act every couple of weeks ain't enough to keep the chops up) and can always use the inspiration and advice.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. hope to see you through our lil' part of the country again!

Hi Jon-

I think there might have been some tension between the mind-sets of each side of that personnel equation. On one hand, the provider, who largely understands that the rider isn't supposed to be wish list, but frequently encounters exactly that, and the BE who *hopefully* wrote that rider (or is at least aware of what is being sent out) and reasonably expects that the tools needed to do the job will be provided.

The issue for most of us on the provider side is that promoters/in house presenters won't pony up the budget to provide what is specified, putting the provider between the promoter and BE. You've been there, I've been there... and we both know it's not a comfortable place sometimes.

That all said, I'd love to see more BE participation here, particularly on mixing. I'm out of practice (mixing 1 support act every couple of weeks ain't enough to keep the chops up) and can always use the inspiration and advice.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. hope to see you through our lil' part of the country again!

I'm speaking more of the guys who can say ''this is what we are hanging today'' and then pull it off their trucks.

No ''wish list'' needed.

JJJ,

Someone else has told me that some people didn't post because it's an ''old boys club''. Perhaps that is the case.

This is a new site, and everyone gets to start fresh. I'd be overjoyed to see some new names and faces making SF.net a little more touring centric. It's still going to be pretty ''school of hard knocks'' around here, but the touring folks should feel right at home in that environment. It is what the community makes it.

I like how the people who figure out how to keep the bank happy on that last $250,000 loan and meet payroll every week are merely ''protractor engineers'' while the ''big dogs'' are the people who mix the same show five nights a week for a few months straight in the hockey arena du jour. Guess I should go back to that ''other forum''.
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I'll get something else. That was then, this is now. I am going to ask them (politely, at first) to remove all references to my name in the history and the FAQ. The forum I did died 7 years ago. I have no part in this latest incarnation and certainly don't condone how the owners have handled the transition. While they do own the IP rights to the name ''ProSoundWeb'' and ''Live Audio Board'', brands I co founded and founded (respectively), I don't see EH Publishing and I being on the same page with respect to running an online community. The mods there are good folks, the guys that own it I'm afraid don't get it. At least what I think ''it'' should be.

Maybe we should keep the ranking levels permanently set at newbie for everyone, sort of the forum joke? Or if you want to get metaphysical about it, to emphasize that we are all new to something and have more to learn?

And to take it one step further-the more I learn-the more I realize how little I actually know.

After all, you have to learn something new every day.

So I guess you are right-we are all newbies all the time.

He who thinks he knows everything has yet to know anything.

OR maybe You guys that think you know everything really annoy those of us who do :lol:

Maybe we should keep the ranking levels permanently set at newbie for everyone, sort of the forum joke?

Aww, man.

I have provided for and mixed domestic and foreign heads of state.

I have provided for and mixed multi-platinum artists.

I have provided for and mixed major international satellite broadcast evangelical events.

Despite all that, I am an absolute nobody

in the professional audio world. The only measure of credibility I had going for me was being on the first or second page of posters on an internet forum and a ''here all the time'' moniker!

:razz:

It's interesting that, as critical as our industry is to the superstars of the world, we only have handful of superstars of our own.

It's interesting that, as critical as our industry is to the superstars of the world, we only have handful of superstars of our own.

The biggest irony of the sound mixing job has always been: when you are excelling at your job, no one should notice -- they are engaged with the program, the performance, whatever.

When you are doing that job at the highest levels and you've paid your dues, it's probably fair to feel as if you deserve some recognition, but, back to the irony part!

It doesn't seem to stop audio people from going back out there and doing the job again (and again).

My highest aspiration every time I mix is to remain invisible.

IMO,some of the problems were the moderators on the old LAB. I had a run in with one over a posting in the marketplace.He told me my post was deleted and said I should read the rules. I read the rules and it didn't appear I did anything wrong. I asked him to explain it to me and again I get a message '' read the rules'' That was it.I know Evan had some run ins with the same guy.No one wants to be treated like a kid especially when I'm 58 years old ( ok,59 tommorow!).

We have had some ''superstars'' of the audio world post on the LAB from time to time like Robert Scoville and Dave Rat. Perhaps we need to advise them there's a new forum in town and let them know how much we'd appreciate their input.

IMO,some of the problems were the moderators on the old LAB. I had a run in with one over a posting in the marketplace.He told me my post was deleted and said I should read the rules. I read the rules and it didn't appear I did anything wrong. I asked him to explain it to me and again I get a message '' read the rules'' That was it.

Same issue here, but I didnt give him the chance to give me the three word response..