Speaking of Varsity

Re: Speaking of Varsity

As a IA stagehand I heard hundreds of performances of "the biggest of big" while being " the smallest of small" doing 50 seat clubs with an old COSTUM pa
I started mixing sound for my cousin the same time i did my first IA load out.
I was shocked to hear how bad some of the FOH mixes were for the biggest bands.
Didn't anyone tell the band? It was so obvious.

When I mentioned it to a friend who has been around a little longer he said it was “An open secret” in the industry.

In the end I came to the conclusion that it was not all about the sound for the band and their mixer.
More important that they lived with and trusted the person.

I have also come to the conclusion that it is very difficult for the band to figure out if the guy mixing them is doing a good job from stage. It takes some knowledge and experience to know if the “Bad sound” you hear standing next to the FOH is the fault of the mix or is it the PA and bad placement in the room.
If a musician has no technical knowledge, has done nothing but write songs, sing and play them in public I feel sorry when I see them casting about and talking to perfect strangers asking if the sound was passable.

Are you saying that bands should have technical knowledge of live audio instead of asking their fans who paid to see them? Because the latter seems like a much more direct method of determining their situation.

Are you saying that bands should have technical knowledge of live audio instead of asking their fans who paid to see them? Because the latter seems like a much more direct method of determining their situation.

And what if every fan has a different take on the mix, how would the band leader or manager assess that? Would they maintain their confidence in the FOH mixer's work?

That's why every rock and roll show goes hand in hand with alcohol, and every classical music concert is, for the most part, unamplified.
A lot of that has to do with sponsorship
For classical: amplification appear to be done more in outdoor venues. The last televised video I saw of an outdoor symphonic performance ( in Europe ) used flown delayed cabs.
Biggest gripes is the dry sound outdoors without the acoustics of the performance halls.

I wonder how many audiences are "created" especially for music video footage...

I am pretty sure concerts are for the audiences.

concerts aren't so much for the audiences, as it is for their money.

concert touring used to be a marketing/promotional tool utilised by record companies to generate record sales, under the guise of artist development.

it's still a marketing/promotional tool, but more-so for the benefit of the name that appears first on the ticket, eg: "xyz company/product presents."

R~

I think Royce is onto the general trend of touring in the modern era. It used to be to advertise and sell a record. But with record sales being what they are, the touring industry is becoming another revenue stream for artists to make and keep some more money. But it is not cheap to tour. The gear, the personel, the trucking , the hotels, the salaries. You can see where this is going. It should be clear why labels are doing every thing they can to get into the pocket of artists who are left to tour for the money alone. And that means cutting the fat out of every touring budget. Systems get smaller, personel are required to do double duty, and as you might have seen on other boards around the industry, there are a lot of younger guys coming into the business of touring who will do it for less that the veterans will. When managers start getting to the point where the 15 or 20 percent of an artist isn't enough, the artists will go away. And they will find the next schmuck who fits the costume.

There are very few artists left who can fill an arena anymore, never mind a stadium. The only ones who can are either veterans, who's fan base has stayed with them economically. (The Eagles, U2, The Rolling Stones, etc.) Or the artists who live and die in a 4 year career cycle and have the fans parents buy the tickets and all the merch. It's not about music or artists anymore. That day is long gone. If the concerts are for the audience, there would be more of a reason to hire and pay personel with a proven track record. If you get a guy on stage left who can start and stop a multitrack session, why would you need anything else? It would just cost more money for an audience that isn't sophisticated enough to want to see or hear live music.

I think Royce is onto the general trend of touring in the modern era. It used to be to advertise and sell a record. But with record sales being what they are, the touring industry is becoming another revenue stream for artists to make and keep some more money. But it is not cheap to tour. The gear, the personel, the trucking , the hotels, the salaries. You can see where this is going. It should be clear why labels are doing every thing they can to get into the pocket of artists who are left to tour for the money alone. And that means cutting the fat out of every touring budget. Systems get smaller, personel are required to do double duty, and as you might have seen on other boards around the industry, there are a lot of younger guys coming into the business of touring who will do it for less that the veterans will. When managers start getting to the point where the 15 or 20 percent of an artist isn't enough, the artists will go away. And they will find the next schmuck who fits the costume.

There are very few artists left who can fill an arena anymore, never mind a stadium. The only ones who can are either veterans, who's fan base has stayed with them economically. (The Eagles, U2, The Rolling Stones, etc.) Or the artists who live and die in a 4 year career cycle and have the fans parents buy the tickets and all the merch. It's not about music or artists anymore. That day is long gone. If the concerts are for the audience, there would be more of a reason to hire and pay personel with a proven track record. If you get a guy on stage left who can start and stop a multitrack session, why would you need anything else? It would just cost more money for an audience that isn't sophisticated enough to want to see or hear live music.

Hallelujah, brother! Preach it!

Speaking of varsity, Trip held court last night in ft Walton beach at the swamp club mixing Saving Abel...he mixed his ass off and the mix position sucks..I love going to shows as I love live music, but I love when a great band meets a great sound engineer...trip hits the solos, the guitars sounded warm and round, vocals were right where you want them and the drums and bass was locked in..and it was concert level but not to loud to where it was painful...it was my first time to actually meet Jon, though knew of him through the Lab and knew he was a Florida brother... Mad respect, true talent...hopefully he will comment on how did..he did get to see and hear our powered 312's (side fills) and the world famous powered Tour subs....we run a Mica system a little different than most as we high pass the Micas with 600 hps used as low boxes instead of subs (headroom) also high pass 600's to the Tour Subs that are usually ran off a aux....Was a great night as we also had HINDER and Kopek and another opener...thanks Trip.....

Hmmm, I have been on both sides..I decided to be a provider after years as a touring engineer and having to work harder than I should....back in the day I would get off the bus and go inside the venue and see if I actually got what I advanced..sometimes I ate cake some days I worked way past soundcheck to make the show happen...I was kinda famous for introducing providers to their x over, seemed most thought it was a black box that they tune to their liking no matter what the componets needed or irrespective to phase...now this was well before the real black boxes that should never get mucked with...back in the 70's and 80's...i made a decision when I became a provider to not take a show unless I felt as if I could do the show like I would want it done if I was crawling out of my bunk on tour...my pet peeve is that my system tech find any and all problems before the touring guy does if not we have FAILED...So once I take a show I take over and do what I know needs to be done, yes if I was to count boxes and stuff I'm working for less than I should but I believe in headroom...luckily The Swamp in ft Walton beach also has my same appreciation for LIVE music...I finally talked them into hanging points so that I could fly the tops (mica) usually I fly 600 hps behind the tops as I treat them as low boxes and not subs, but at the swamp we fly 6 micas we have 2 600's under for the lows and then we use our powered tour subs across the front as aux fed subs...it's kinda for me go big or stay home...we did the same approach for Deluna Fest but with a ton more gear....in the end it's about the show, also I'm quite hard on system tech's, you must know your crap or you won't last long with me, I'm very happy as my main systems tech is Adam Shay and he is on the same page with me

Speaking of varsity, Trip held court last night in ft Walton beach at the swamp club mixing Saving Abel...he mixed his ass off and the mix position sucks..I love going to shows as I love live music, but I love when a great band meets a great sound engineer...trip hits the solos, the guitars sounded warm and round, vocals were right where you want them and the drums and bass was locked in..and it was concert level but not to loud to where it was painful...it was my first time to actually meet Jon, though knew of him through the Lab and knew he was a Florida brother... Mad respect, true talent...hopefully he will comment on how did..he did get to see and hear our powered 312's (side fills) and the world famous powered Tour subs....we run a Mica system a little different than most as we high pass the Micas with 600 hps used as low boxes instead of subs (headroom) also high pass 600's to the Tour Subs that are usually ran off a aux....Was a great night as we also had HINDER and Kopek and another opener...thanks Trip.....

Just want to thank Randy for a great rig. He isn't kidding, I couldn'r hear the SL array AT ALL at FOH. I think that goes on the list as worse. FOH. position. ever.

Randy's tour subs kick ass, I think I was bearly lighting the signal lights on them.