Tell me about waves

Re: Tell me about waves

Whats the cheapest SoundGrid hardware that I can get into that I can use with both studio and Live use? Keep in mind I already have Platinum Native (soon to be SoundGrid) bundle, so I just need the hardware.

Will this Impact bundle work with Protools?

http://www.waves.com/hardware/compact-combo-for-yamaha

The waves website is down for maintenance (today is the day).

I am reasonably sure the yamaha card would be unused in your protools rig.

I believe the studio rack plugin you have already will see the SG server on the network and allow you to offload the plugins in that rack to the server. So in protools you load studio rack in a plugin slot and then load the waves plugs you want into studio rack. Thats how I think it works anyway. If I had access to a server I would test it with my logic sessions. Oddly i have had zero issues with logic running a ton of plugs natively on a mid 2012 retina. I don't think the average user needs to offload the plugs to the server, but I can see how a production studio may benefit. Unless Logic is just more efficient somehow than PT.

Well...as I expected, the prices went up from the former Native pricing, but came down from what the Soundgrid pricing was. For instance, previously, the Diamond Native Bundle was $2,500 and the Soundgrid version was $3750. Current pricing for Diamond is $3,000. The Platinum Bundle formerly was $1,600 for Native and $2,400 for SoundGrid. Now it is $2,000. The Gold bundle, however has stayed at the same price, $800. And it looks like their plugins that are Native only, have remained at the same price also.

Fortunately, Diamond is on sale this month for $1199 for the full product, and my price to upgrade from Platinum to Diamond through Waves direct is $400. I need to get a quote from Audio Deluxe and Waves Universe to see what their discount is.

Waves is also included two copies of the EMotion ST Mixer and the Studio Rack Plugins.

The additional instances of MR and eMotion ST mean i can have them auth to my stick and to both of my Macs. Justice, did you get the video I texted you?
I had both computers on the soundgrid network and they could see each other. Looks as if I could patch audio from one computer to the other through the network. I also noticed the second computer has the option to "make backup" although I clicked it and nothing happened. Not sure what hoops I would have to jump through. Maybe they both need to be patched and running MR with the same plugin authorizations. IOW you have to own everything twice.

Well...as I expected, the prices went up from the former Native pricing, but came down from what the Soundgrid pricing was. For instance, previously, the Diamond Native Bundle was $2,500 and the Soundgrid version was $3750. Current pricing for Diamond is $3,000. The Platinum Bundle formerly was $1,600 for Native and $2,400 for SoundGrid. Now it is $2,000. The Gold bundle, however has stayed at the same price, $800. And it looks like their plugins that are Native only, have remained at the same price also.

Fortunately, Diamond is on sale this month for $1199 for the full product, and my price to upgrade from Platinum to Diamond through Waves direct is $400. I need to get a quote from Audio Deluxe and Waves Universe to see what their discount is.

Waves is also included two copies of the EMotion ST Mixer and the Studio Rack Plugins.

Justice,
I just upgraded to Diamond from Platinum for $143 from WavesUniverse. I did have a voucher though. I've had my eyes on the restoration bundle for some time. I think it would be perfect for cleaning up the horrible audio that sometimes accompanies playback videos on my corporate shows. YMMV

-John Penkala

Have you guys done any comparisons between OSx and Win regarding stability and latency?

I made these measurements a couple of years ago. "Without Plugins" should read "0" latency plugins. The buffer size selected was the lowest that allowed for artifact free audio. The final result is round trip and includes any latency introduced by the console.

X32 via internal Firewire Interface to a Windows7 laptop, i7 / 8gb memory, running Waves Multirack (without plugins), Buffer size 192 samples

15.83ms

X32 via internal Firewire Interface to a OSX 10.7 iMac, i5 / 16gb memory, running Waves Multirack (without plugins), Buffer size 64 samples

8.54ms

Waves Multirack performance on the Mac OS is far superior than on Windows. At some point I'm going to measure via the Dante interface. YMMV

-John Penkala

X32 via internal Firewire Interface to a Windows7 laptop, i7 / 8gb memory, running Waves Multirack (without plugins), Buffer size 192 samples

15.83ms

X32 via internal Firewire Interface to a OSX 10.7 iMac, i5 / 16gb memory, running Waves Multirack (without plugins), Buffer size 64 samples

8.54ms

Waves Multirack performance on the Mac OS is far superior than on Windows. At some point I'm going to measure via the Dante interface. YMMV

-John Penkala

Part of this is due to the FW driver too. I get lower latencies with my Roland Octa-Capture and MBPr. Using an SG card is faster.

Where do I get a voucher?

Hey I had my rig connected to a M7CL 48ES last week and had higher latency and had to up the buffer on the driver. Now back on a CL5 and no gremlins, it's been rock solid. Any ideas?
We also seemed to lose headlamp control occasionally on that ES.

I may test the Dante RT if I get a chance. This is a busy show. Mac says it's much longer because DVS isn't designed to be used this way. Makes sense.

No actually it's on the table, next to the desk.
Or in a rack under the console...

I agree though. I wish that the console manufacturers would come up with a spec to allow for the loading of third party plugins on the console itself. Even if they allowed the use of VST plugins on the console, that would be ideal. Then you could change out the standard EQ or dynamics as well as use your own choices of reverbs and multi effects units.

Or in a rack under the console...

I agree though. I wish that the console manufacturers would come up with a spec to allow for the loading of third party plugins on the console itself. Even if they allowed the use of VST plugins on the console, that would be ideal. Then you could change out the standard EQ or dynamics as well as use your own choices of reverbs and multi effects units.

As much as I've had my frustrations with Waves, I have to commend them on making plugins available to a wide variety (basically all) of live sound desks. (Except new Avid S3L)

I really think you might be onto something. I could really see many consoles in the future running third party plugins in the future. Avid and Digico are on board and Yamaha is "kind of" doing it with their premium rack.

Waves has just released their Tracks Live multitrack recording application designed for live recording. Works with any ASIO or Core audio interface and will record hundreds of tracks at up to 192kHz.

They are giving it away for free:

http://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/t...il&utm_campaign=tracks#presenting-tracks-live

And for a limited time, you can buy their premium service for $99 which also includes a license for their Multirack application, which is normally $600.

15.83ms

-John Penkala

I'll have to try it on Mac. I have not experimented with Multirack since going all Mac, and I was getting latency in the same range as you on Windows 7. 15ms is too much latency IMO, and is why I gave up on it back then.

I'll have to try it on Mac. I have not experimented with Multirack since going all Mac, and I was getting latency in the same range as you on Windows 7. 15ms is too much latency IMO, and is why I gave up on it back then.

Jeff,
FWIW, Because of latency when using Waves Multirack Native, I normally only do one "round trip". That means if I'm using using plugins on channel inserts I won't do any subgroup or main buss processing. As that would require one or two extra round trips. That's when the cumulative latency gets excessive. Also, on inserts I will send all of the channels in the mix to Multirack to use their automatic latency management.

JP

Hi.
You can't use the Yamaha card with a Native setup, you always need a server. This card is simply an IO interface for Soundgrid.

Carlos,
This has changed since the Native/Soundgrid merge. You are now able to run Native from the WSG-MY16 card. However, I am told there is another piece of software needed from Waves to do it. I am planning to do this in the foreseeable future and will post details.

JP

Not true. It always worked. I bought my Y16 card last year. The card is just a way to get audio in and out. Just like Dante. One has nothing to do with the other. The bit of software is just the app to patch (like dante controller).

Carlos,
This has changed since the Native/Soundgrid merge. You are now able to run Native from the WSG-MY16 card. However, I am told there is another piece of software needed from Waves to do it. I am planning to do this in the foreseeable future and will post details.

JP