Tell me about waves

Re: Tell me about waves

Not true. It always worked. I bought my Y16 card last year. The card is just a way to get audio in and out. Just like Dante. One has nothing to do with the other. The bit of software is just the app to patch (like dante controller).

Harry,
Are you saying that all computers speak "soundgrid" just like all computers speak dante with the right software? I am thinking about going the Multirack route, and planning on picking up MY card along the way. At this point though I am thinking a Dante card would overall be more flexible then the WSG-MY16 card, even if it could connect it directly to a computer...can it?

Harry,
Are you saying that all computers speak "soundgrid" just like all computers speak dante with the right software? I am thinking about going the Multirack route, and planning on picking up MY card along the way. At this point though I am thinking a Dante card would overall be more flexible then the WSG-MY16 card, even if it could connect it directly to a computer...can it?
I don't know that this is strictly true.

The computer's onboard ethernet port will work for connecting the computer to the SG system. But I'm fairly certain that you would need a console with the Sound Grid Ethernet output. I don't believe that it will work with the Dante output. Sound Grid is a separate digital audio networking protocol. Even though the SG software is running on the computer (using the Studio Rack and Multirack plugin/software), you still need the SG card to interface the console to the native processing on the computer (which is different from connecting it to a dedicated Waves Sound Grid Server).

I'm interested in using Waves plugins with a Yamaha CL5 console. Resurrecting this thread as it has plenty of good information.
I'd like to do this on the cheap, just for FX plugins, so latency isn't critical. Can I just use Dante into a laptop and a VST host in the laptop to run the plugin or does it have to be Waves Multirack?

Andy, you could certainly use a DAW instead of Multirack. Multirack is a little better suited for stand-alone use though and the routing is a little simpler than most DAWs, but if you've got a DAW that you're really comfortable with that would be just fine. Your inquiry triggered memories from long ago - I remember doing that with Waves plugins and Cubase on a Mackie 4 bus way back in the early 2000's (verbs and delays). It worked great even back then, though tech has come a long way since, and OS's are a lot more reliable now than Windows 98 ;)

So long as you are using plugins that aren't so latency sensitive like verb and delay etc it's very easy, and there are some stellar sounding plugins these days. If you ever want to get into the type of usage where you need realtime (ish) latency (for inserts etc), it's a little trickier and you must be very cautious of relative latency of channels etc if you're doing something outside of the console. It can get pretty messy trying to manage the latency - multirack can apply latency to all plugins to sync with the plugin with the worst overall latency, but then you'd have to apply the same delay to the channels not routed to multirack via delay in the console.

Last edited: