This years halftime "show"

Re: This years halftime "show"

after last year's 'issues' did anyone really think ANY of the audio for the half time show would be live this year?

i, for one, actually kinda enjoyed it. all the video stage stuff was pretty nifty swifty. and everything worked. that's always a good thing...

What, pray tell, did anything about this spectacle have to do with "music"?

I now return to watching football. Chelsea and Manchester United just finished a 3-3 tie but there must be something interesting on television somewhere...

I don't think it was music, I think it was entertainment.
Count me on the entertained.

I didn't think it was very entertaining myself.

Some girl holding a mic-with lots of effects covering up the voice- no musicians even "attempting" to play instruments-no real musical chops anywhere-some guys dancing around and others in costume.

WHOOPEE. No real talent-nothing to make me say WOW (except the guy on the tightrope).

Kinda boring if you ask me. Maybe I just expect more these days.

i wouldn't pay money to see that.

I was impressed by the video projection, and Madge still looks OK for her age. I sometimes wonder who the real audience is for this half time show, and what to possibly expect. I'm not a big football fan, but it was a close game that went down to the last play, so was all good.

Just to be my typical contrarian... What do you guys suggest would make the best (or better) half time show? Hint: It isn't about the music, it's about name recognition and awareness for an extremely large audience, not a few whiney sound guys. The goal is to support another half hour of very expensive TV advertisements, with something people will actually watch.. Another timely wardrobe malfunction would probably help ratings.

JR

PS: I thought Madonna was partial to baseball players, but it looks like she gave a shout out to Ron Artest with his new name projected on the screens at the end of her show (World Peace).

Well I didn't watch any of it but...

Given the hype that the advertisements are part of the entertainment, how about just selling an extra 30 minutes of adds and doing away with the "live" halftime spectical totally?

I thought it was one of the better half time shows in some time, not a great musical performance but a good production. Madonna is 53 now, it is interesting how times have changed that Madonna is considered suitable family entertainment for a Super Bowl halftime. We were wondering how many kids watching actually thought she was some unknown Lady Gaga ripoff.

And JR, that does give a whole different perspective to all the "Miss" and "Ms" Something contestants saying that the one thing they really want is World Peace!

Well I didn't watch any of it but...

Given the hype that the advertisements are part of the entertainment, how about just selling an extra 30 minutes of adds and doing away with the "live" halftime spectical totally?

Since there were 2 ads for the NFL itself during halftime I assume they couldn't sell the time they had available already.

Mac

Wow....

I've been critical of some of the Super Bowl Half time event performances too.. But, most often, it has been because someone fell asleep at the wheel, when their (actually all) positions had been minimized so that each tech had the least amount of tasks/responsibilities.... or, the performers didn't do what they'd rehearsed so many times before the event.

It's everyone's right to complain... but, if you really don't find any value to watching the Half-time event....they why do you suffer through watching it, only to complain about it later?

The Half-time event was originally intended to entertain or keep the ticket holders occupied during the break in the game. It later morphed into the hyped event that it has become....and, with good reason, it became a profit center for offsetting the cost of airing the game.

Sure, it seems that everyone has an opinion on how the Half-time event should be produced, their preferred talent, the correct/incorrect technical aspects .... and yes, (at least in my opinion) there could have been some substitutions to the Entertainment in the past... but, I will say that there is a LOT of thought (and experimentation) in deciding who/whom will be taking the stage. The Half-time Producers and the NFL seek to find "Artists" with the greatest mass appeal. They know going forwards that not everyone will be satisfied with their choice.

I will also say that if one is a Professional tech/hand in the Audio, Video, Staging or Lighting business, that there are many times where you are compelled to work with an Artist or Group that you, for whatever reason, do not like or appreciate. But, that's our business, we don't always have a choice in what acts that we're supporting. A Professional will slog his way through the gig with little outwards signs of contempt, doing the best of their apptitude, because...he considers himself a Professional.

Cheers,
Hammer

I enjoyed it for the most part. The technical spectale was truly, er, spectacular - forgive the lack of perspicacity - my thesaurus is too far away.

I agree with Brad about the change to Madonna's image - it seems that by the time someone reaches mass appeal enough to make the SuperBowl, their career is generally on the downstroke and/or the lion(ess) has been tamed. Creed, Janet Jackson, Prince, The Who, Sir Paul, The Boss, The Peas - not a lot of new music from these folks making the charts.