Top Ways To Annoy A Sound Engineer

Re: Ways to annoy a sound guy

"ya'll can set up right there behind the pool table, and you can use that plug right there, but don't unplug the pool table light"......

"we'd like for you to put your "thingy" in this closet because it detracts from the floral arrangements"....

"My in-ear is not working" Did you check if it was on or to see if it had any battery?

"Can I get more of my guitar in my ears?" How about I turn everything else that's jacked to 11 down?

Tracks act shows up five minutes before their set, with data files burned to a CD-ROM rather than making an actual audio CD.

In high school, they give you DVDs with this problem. Usually, I would just copied to my computer, but the last show I had to do was right after my Dell took a dump (anything but a few latitudes from them are pieces of crap- another thing that pisses me off) so I was forced to use the house CD player. I still prefer CD audio if over the ROM any day, just personal preference.

To add something to the list: As a high school level technician, I was constantly tasked with both lights and sound for some Hindu dance group that came in every few months or so because they wouldn't pay for two technicians since I was able to do it by myself, even though I was constantly splitting my time and working my ass off to try and keep up when a dozen channels and half the lighting console had to be adjusted all at the same time (bear in mind these were ALWAYS busked shows for me without rehearsal or soundcheck- I got line check in before they arrived). Those gigs as a whole were pretty much a collection of everything that pisses a generic sound guy off. Pushy people without knowledge of our craft telling us what to do, and blaming us for all the problems they caused and then further changing the entire order of the show as you were going along without proper communication because the radios (crappy ones that were supplied by the group, actually) were filled with other languages of chatter.

At risk of appearing that I am blaming it on all Hindu dance groups generically- I dealt with another group that was forced to come to our school because the convention center they were supposed to be at had a structural failure the day before. They were perhaps the second best external group I'd ever worked with, regardless of how unprepared we all were due to the venue switch, though they did try to use lavalieres (all I had, sorry) as handhelds, much to my dismay, they were still good about it when I asked them not to continue it.

Yeah, I remember a couple of these... :)

How about the guitar tech who kept insisting that the crackling and fading during rehearsal in the guitar setup was my wireless gear? I swapped out the system with another pre-coordinated one in a different frequency range, still the same problem. When everyone went to lunch, I grabbed my tools and tore down the guitarist's pedal board, cleaned all the connectors, re-seated all the DC jacks, and voila! problem solved. I mentioned it to the guitar tech after lunch but never got much more than the most basic nod.

Or how about the trumpet player who showed up into our tightly coordinated RF setup in downtown San Diego, and, without telling anyone, set up his own wireless lav and IEM system so he could hear himself? Took a while to figure that one out by sniffing around with an RF analyzer...

One of the few times I felt things were totally out of control (including mine) was with a pair of A list horn players. The day of the show, the drummer was delayed until after show time by weather delaying his flight. The rest of the band were locally hired and were scrambling to find a fill in drummer. We never had more than a quick line check, but both artists approved the levels in their monitors.

When the show started the sax player comes out with a horn that was different from the one we line checked (a clip on mic) and immediately asks for about 20db more monitors. At the end of his first solo, he flipped the horn upside down on his neck strap, pointing the bell directly into the monitor.

Needless to say it took off.

His solution was to take the mic off the horn, clip it to the mic stand, still pointing directly into the monitor, and proceed to flip down his vocal mic which was set for his in-between songs whisper and blast that with the horn.

Things went downhill from there.

I never felt like I could get caught up on the problems he was creating, because every time I tackled one, he created another.

Yup, we get blamed for everything. Shitty sounding drums, guitar amps, guitars, poor talent provided mics, shitty talent provided pedal vocal processors, noisy guitar cords, broken guitar cords, cheap acoustic guitar pickups, uneven keyboard patch levels, uneven clean/distorted guitar levels, poor mic technique, poor instrument playing, blaring stage volume, no toilet paper in the bathrooms.

Maybe I'm standing on my head but this sounds like the list of reasons that bands (and others) might hire a professional sound guy. If all of those things were taken care of then what exactly would they need the sound guy for?

This. I don't run into many singers with this problem, mostly people doing announcements, etc. Everybody looks to me, "Turn it up we can't hear him." Well I don't know anybody whose voice comes out of their belly button so maybe he should move the mic a little closer than that.

Anybody see the episode where Lrrr lands at Comicon3010?

Maybe I'm standing on my head but this sounds like the list of reasons that bands (and others) might hire a professional sound guy. If all of those things were taken care of then what exactly would they need the sound guy for?

I'm a sound man, not a babysitter. Or am I? I can fix a few problems but keyboard levels and cheap gear are beyond my scope of work..

We have Diwali Fest at our performing arts center and I think the traits you refer to are partially "from the old country." It took several events before I figured out what they really wanted (as opposed to what they *said* they wanted). I wish there was a way to transfer my experience to other audio dept folks at the PAC, but I think some of it is simply mind reading...

Once you get over being the scapegoat for things that aren't your fault, you can enjoy some very good food. :)

We have an Asian Festival that is similar in terms of the client's needs v. stated desires and the manner in which some of them interact with staff. The same rules apply, but I tend to inquire more specifically about what is being served...

I wouldn't say a sound guy is responsible for most of those things even if hired by the band unless their duties also include drum tech/guitar tech/vocal trainer/instrument teacher/etc. As a sound person, sure, it's our job to make the best of what we have and provide assistance when possible. I will gladly provide guitar cords for an act if theirs are causing problems and suggest that the vocalists stay on top of the mic for maximum monitor levels/GBF/etc. I'm also more than happy to point out when patch levels are out of wack or guitar clean/dirty levels are off. But I often find suggestions are often ignored or forgotten (like staying the mic) by all but the real pros who understand their craft. Don't get me wrong, I realize this is par for the course unless you're at the "A" level (and even then...).

But to say that we're responsible for the toilet paper (beyond our own) is just insane.

Finally finishing sound check and head into catering just to find out that there is nothing left but flat meat and hard rolls - no coffee, red bull or anything with caffeine. And to top it all off everyone is remarking how good the hot meal and desert was!!!

Desert!?! Dang it!! That's gone too!!

Singers frantically pointing 'down' at their foldback wedges. If you do not chase that with another finger gesture pointing up, I Will understand that as "the vocals are too loud".

Singers frantically pointing 'down' at their foldback wedges. If you do not chase that with another finger gesture pointing up, I Will understand that as "the vocals are too loud".

This is one of my favorite things, when a vocalist asks to have the monitor turned down. To me, it means a few things. 1) you did a decent job of getting good GBF, 2) you don't have to worry about them asking for "more monitor,", 3) stage levels will probably be decently tamed.